Jongkey; Will You Marry Me?

Pairing/Prompt Thing

Pairing: jongkey

Rating: PG

Warnings: angst (?)

A/N: originally posted to tumblr

 

“Will you marry me?”

“No.”

Jonghyun’s eyes widened in shock at his boyfriend’s quick response. Kibum was sitting on the couch, his feet resting in Jonghyun’s lap as the blonde gave him a foot massage after his long day at work.

Shifting uncomfortably, he dropped Kibum’s feet and turned to look more fully at him.

“Oh…um…then do you want to break up? Or just like take some time or something?”

“Mmhmm,” Kibum said, eyes not looking up from his phone.

Confused from his boyfriend’s lack of response, Jonghyun tried to breathe through the ache forming in his chest and the tears beginning to sting his eyes.

Standing abruptly, Jonghyun flung Kibum’s legs off of him and strode across the room, needing to distance himself from the situation. He had been working up the courage to propose for months and had never expected his boyfriend, the love of his life and best friend since childhood, to say no.

“Babe, can you bring my laptop please? I need to-“

“No, just no, okay. I need some space,” Jonghyun’s breath caught on the last word as he felt the tears finally spill and the strong emotion of rejection shot through his chest at the casual way Kibum acted as if he hadn’t just rejected him.

Looking up at the tone of his boyfriend’s voice, Kibum’s eyes widened in concern at the now free-falling tears running down Jonghyun’s face.

“Babe? Omo, what’s wrong? Did something happen at work?” He asked, standing up to quickly embrace the shorter man.

Jonghyun tried to resist but couldn’t bring himself to put any distance between them as his boyfriend his back soothingly.

Loving the embrace but hating the inevitability of another rejection, Jonghyun took a deep, shuddering breath and said, “I just don’t understand why you said no. Do you not love me anymore? Did I do something wrong?”

Kibum stilled at his questions, leaning away to take in Jonghyun’s expression. The shorter man tried to look away, knowing that his eyes would give away everything he was thinking and feeling, only to be thwarted by Kibum’s gentle but firm finger under his chin that forced him to look up and meet those deep, brown eyes.

“Babe, what are you talking about? Don’t be silly, of course I still love you!”

“But you said no…?” Jonghyun asked slowly, tears beginning to form again as the memory hit him.

“When?!” Kibum asked, eyes losing focus as if he was trying to remember their last conversation.

At this, Jonghyun became angry. Did Kibum really not love him? Did he really think it would be okay to toy with his emotions in this way?

Moving back so that there was no longer any contact between them, Jonghyun shook his head to clear the lingering tears and looked up steadily into Kibum’s gaze.

“Don’t you dare play dumb! I asked you to marry me and you said no! And now you have the audacity to act as if you don’t remember? As if you didn’t just break my heart. How can you even-“

But Jonghyun’s tirade was interrupted by a pair of soft, bow-shaped lips crashing against his own.

“Oh my gosh, you proposed?! When? Omo how did I miss this?” Kibum gushed, cupping Jonghyun’s face in his hands. “I’m sorry, okay? I had a rough day at work and was totally ignoring you earlier on the couch. I was answering some emails and didn’t notice…” he trailed off as the look of hurt returned to Jonghyun’s face.

Cooing at expression, Kibum leaned forward and gave Jonghyun another heart-felt kiss. “I’m so sorry, I just – you know how work is! Let’s just start over okay?” Leaning away, he wiped Jonghyun’s tears-stained face and smiled brightly. “You ask and I’ll answer.  Go!” he said encouragingly, nodding as if to reassure them both that this time would go much more smoothly.

Eyeing him warily, Jonghyun cleared his throat and made sure to stare directly into Kibum’s eyes, ensuring that he was actually listening this time.

“Kibum, will you marry me?”

A shrill “Yes!” was shouted before he could even finish the question, Kibum flinging himself into his boyfriend’s arms and wrapping his legs around his waist.

Jonghyun caught the solid weight, grabbing Kibum’s in a tight grip as the younger man rained kisses on his face. Laughing at his excessiveness, he walked until he could set Kibum down on the counter, placing his hands on either side of his hips and leaning over him.

Kibum smiled happily up at him, a dopey expression on his face that finally allowed Jonghyun to breathe a sigh of relief. Kibum did love him. He wanted to marry him!

“I love you, Jongie,” Kibum said, his smile brightening his entire face.

Jonghyun smiled, happy and unable to control his own facial expressions as he leaned down to peck a kiss onto his boyfriend’s – fiancé’s – waiting lips.

Pinching Kibum’s side, he smiled cockily down at him and smirked, “Damn straight you do.”

 

 


A/N: Think of this as a typical day where Kibum and Jong are chillin on the couch and Key is literally zoned out, stressed out and consantly on his phone. Jong doesn't know he's so stressed and just thinks Key is on his phone like normal... so he just kind of blurts out the proposal b/c it's been eating at him and it's such a domestic lovely moment he can't contain his excitement. Key is not being a neglectful boyfriend, he is simply distracted and trying to show Jong he's present (by responding with "No" and "mmhhmm") even though he's oblivious to what's happening. Just yeah, a bit of domesic au with some miscommunication-induced angst.