Hangover

Belabor

 

“Sehun—Oh Sehun!” Luhan shouts in frustration as it was the third time today that Sehun had dozed off in their meeting for the spring festival. Sehun felt his eyelids fall heaver each time Luhan starts talking, making the elder boy groan in frustration. “You ing called me over here—despite me telling you I had a really, really bad hangover—and you have the qualms to fall asleep?!—” Luhan shouts, rubbing his temples with his thumb and index finger as he flips through the papers on his table.

            “Oh—“ Sehun says as he sighs, taking the papers in front of him and reading through them thoroughly. “—Why were you hungover in the first place—“

            “—That’s none of your ing business.” Luhan retorts. It’s as if they had unconsciously started this competition wherein they cut off each other’s sentences. “Unlike you Seoul U nerds, I have a life.” Luhan holds tightly unto his pen, as if retracting all the pain would go down to his fingertips. “You have no right to be falling asleep on me—“

            “—not really. I have my own reasons as to why I’m falling asleep like this.” Sehun says with a sigh, his face frowning. Luhan has never actually seen Sehun frown, and is sent to a self-conscious state of guilt. “Uh—Yeah, sorry.” He mutters, his face twisting into a pained expression as he writes down the list of things they’ll be needing for the spring festival.

            “Does it hurt a lot?” Sehun interrupts Luhan’s thoughts, his eyes filled with genuine concern. “I have medicine in my bag if you like—“

            “—No, no, no thank you.” Luhan says, embarrassed. When Sehun was falling asleep, all Luhan did was shout at him. Now Luhan was at the lower hand, and the boy was offering him medicine.

            “Look—I’m sorry for… being an .” Luhan says with a pout, still just looking down at the papers in front of him. “I—I just really don’t like dealing with Seoul U students, okay? Our school has bad blood with the folks over there on the other side, so we don’t really appreciate the entire situation as of the moment.” Luhan sighs, scribbling down on his paper. He has space-sci-fic theme, modern Japanese festival theme, and Halloween-in-spring theme scribbled on the papers, obviously taking forever to come up with the best idea.

            “It’s fine—I understand.” Sehun says with a smile, watching Luhan with complete curiosity. Luhan knew that—he can’t read Sehun no matter what he did. For one thing, Sehun is this smart boy who keeps a smile plastered on his face no matter what—for another he’s a strict—far more mature for his age. All Luhan wanted was to see the Sehun who acts for his age—the Sehun that seemed more of a spoiled, lonely child in their family.

            “You—really are beautiful.” Sehun remarks, as if his breath was being taken from his body. Sehun has lied a lot of times, but Luhan’s face looked like an angel’s on earth—exceeding any ethereal body altogether.

            “Ha ha, funny. Stop joking around and finish those proposals, kid.”

 

 

 

 

            Chanyeol finds himself finally free from captivity after Baekhyun’s long, wet bath. The steam had gotten to Chanyeol’s brain—and eventually passed out. Baekhyun is back to poking Chanyeol with his ruler, indifferent. “Hey—Hey, you planning to get up today? Kids like you like spending Sundays out—right?”

            Chanyeol’s eyes open in a heartbeat, sending Baekhyun toppling back from the bathtub. Chanyeol immediately sits upright, staring at his captor. “What time is—why on earth am I sleeping in your bathtub?”

            Baekhyun clutches his heart, acting as if he’s just received the scare of a lifetime. “You passed out from last night’s party, and I didn’t know where your key was even after searching through your pockets—so I made you sleep in my bathtub.” Baekhyun said evenly, his green blazer neatly fitted against his body. Chanyeol had always wondered how many blazers this boy had, but didn’t really bother questioning. “Bathtub? You didn’t have the heart to let me sleep on Kris’ bed? Ow—my poor body…”

            Chanyeol stretches his arms over his head, realizing he was still wearing his clothes from yesterday. He feels the pillow hit his arm as he puts them down. “You made me sleep in the bathtub, but had the slight heart of giving me a pillow?” Chanyeol said, questioning the boy standing with his back straight in the bathroom. Compared to him, Baekhyun looked as refreshed and energized as ever. “You—why aren’t you as trashed as I am?”

            Baekhyun shrugs, his arms on his sides. “Alcohol seems to have no effect on me.” Baekhyun remarks, stretching out his arm for Chanyeol to take. “If you mind, I’d like for it if you get out of my room. Your friends have been in-and-out-and-about, looking for you. Whenever they came knocking, I just acted as if was asleep.” Baekhyun remains still, waiting for Chanyeol to move.

            “Then why didn’t you ask my friends to pick me up and out of here?” Chanyeol says while massaging his neck, unconsciously taking Baekhyun’s hand to hoist himself up. Baekhyun slightly topples over, but manages to keep his feet planted on the ground. “I didn’t want them to think and know you slept in my room.” Baekhyun says bluntly as soon as Chanyeol is up on his feet, letting go of Chanyeol’s hand to exit the bathroom.

            “These are the clothes I used to wear when I was a bit bigger—fatter I mean.” Baekhyun said with a sigh as he pointed at the white polo shirt and black slacks on the bed. “They’re short but they’ll most probably fit you. Your measurements are just the right size—“

            Chanyeol abruptly brings his arms around his body, acting as if he had just been violated. “How in the hell do you know my measurements?” Chanyeol says, genuine fear creeping up on him. “Did you strip me when I was asleep?! You’re crazy—“

            “—Hell, no. That’s just downright disgusting.” Baekhyun says as he sticks a tongue out, acting as if he was going to throw up. “I have this, like, super brain that can like, calculate a lot of stuff.” He says, lowering his tone, acting as if he was talking to a preschooler. “Got it? No one in their right mind would want to see you . That’s just plain wrong.”

            Chanyeol hisses, putting his hands back down. “But my room’s just next door, I don’t really need these clothes.” Chanyeol said, eyeing the clothes on the bed. They obviously seemed to short, but the size looked exactly right. “Yes, you really do need them. For one, you don’t have a key to your room.” Baekhyun says as he nibbles on his lower lip, Chanyeol just catching the motion as soon as it goes. “I tried looking for it but I couldn’t find it anywhere.”

            “And if my knowledge is correct—the only other spare keys are with the dean, correct? You’d have to go halfway across campus to get them, and I don’t think they’ll give you the keys in that state.” Baekhyun says as he walks to the kitchen, turning on the coffee maker. “Coffee?”

            Chanyeol nods unconsciously—who could reject coffee? “Wait—What time is it?”

            “3 PM.” Baekhyun says as he gestures to the wall clock. “You were out for the entire day.”

            Chanyeol groans, his hand making its way to his forehead. “Was I the only one this hungover?”

            Baekhyun shakes his head, handing Chanyeol the mug. “No, Luhan was the only other person on his feet. He had a meeting for the student council something, so he left early. He told me that Jongin, Minseok and Yixing are out cold, and asked me to look after them from time to time.” Baekhyun said with a shrug as he jingled the keys in his right index finger. “He gave these to me.”

            Chanyeol is squinting, still not entirely trustworthy. “Luhan gave you keys? To their rooms? Well I’ll be damned—what have you done to Luhan for him to trust you so much?”

            Baekhyun shrugs. “Maybe the fact that I took care of you when you were drunk as .” Baekhyun sighs, gulping the last of his coffee. “You’re welcome by the way. I gave you a place to stay—you’re practically homeless right now.”

            Chanyeol scowls, taking the clothes from off the bed. “Whatever—thaaaanks then.” He storms into the bathroom, leaving Baekhyun to the room alone.

 

 

 

 

            “—“ Jongin whispers as he covers his eyes with his right forearm, feeling as if his head was going to explode. “Luhan—Lu…” He tries to call out, realizing that the boy had left long ago. He sighs, propping himself on his elbows so that he could lift himself into an upright position. He reaches for his phone—which he’s relieved was still with him after such a long night.

            “3 PM…” He sighs, unlocking his phone to check the message Luhan had left. “I have a meeting regarding stuff for the student council. If you need anything, I specifically asked Baekhyun to be at your service, be sure to thank him very, very genuinely if you ask anything of him. I saved his number in your contacts. I’ll be back late tonight, medicine and food is in the kitchen. Toodles~”

            Jongin smiles, knowing that Luhan will always be the person he could rely on. He quickly types through his contacts, spotting the newly added contact on the list. He swipes the name to the side, calling the boy.

            After a single ring, Baekhyun chirps. “Hello! This is Byun Baekhyun, what is your business with me?” Jongin has to hold his laugh because of Baekhyun’s formality. “Baek? It’s Jongin. Luhan said I can call you to ask for help—at least if you’re not busy but—can you help me out…” He says as he tries to prop himself on his elbows once again. “My head hurts like hell and I don’t think I’ll make it to the kitchen in time for my untimely death.‘‘                        

            “Oh, of course Jongin. I’ll be right with you—Yixing, please take the medicine—sorry I’m helping someone—No, stop—don’t climb the bed foundations like that!!!—sorry, Jongin, I’ll be right there. See you!”

            Jongin chuckles as the call ends. It’s only been around 2 weeks, but Baekhyun already feels like he’s part of the group. Frankly, there really needs to be someone who’ll break the tension (ehem, Chanyeol) in the group.

            A few minutes later, he hears the door knob being unlocked. Baekhyun walks in, dreadful green blazer tightly hugging his skin as sweat drops from his forehead. “I’m here, sorry it took a while—Yixing wouldn’t take his medicine since he was scared of tablets, and Minseok kept insulting my green blazer—which I don’t know why gets so much hate—and wouldn’t drink the soup—“

            Jongin is laughing now, sending the disheveled Baekhyun into curiosity. “Why are you laughing?”

            “Look—we were bullying not over two night ago, and now you’re taking care of us like you’re our personal nanny—what gives?”

            Baekhyun gives him a soft smile, placing the bag of medicine and towels on the dining table. “I don’t know—really. I was the student council president back in my school, and it was a known fact that whenever someone had a problem or was in trouble, they immediately go to me. It started with Kyungsoo—he was literally getting bullied—bad. The only reason why we ended being roommates was because he was almost bullied to suicide, and I was tasked to, uh, take care of him.” Baekhyun is rubbing the back of his neck, as he feels uncomfortable. “S—sorry, I don’t really know if you care—“

            “—No it’s fine.” Jongin says with a smile, trying his best to keep the headache out of his emotions. “You’re a lovely person, and your stories are equally lovely.”

            Baekhyun feels heat rise up in his cheeks, taking long robotic strides towards the table. “Luhan asked me to make you drink medicine.” Baekhyun says with an awkward smile, grabbing hold of the hangover medicine. “I made soup in my kitchen—I don’t know if its any good but…”

            Jongin nods, reaching out for the medicine and glass of water to drink. Jongin thanks him with a smile, replacing the glass with soup. “This happens regularly every month—it’s just that, it’s the first time someone bothered to take care of us.”

            Baekhyun shrugs, smiling. “Well, it seemed like you guys needed taking care of.” He laughs, walking back to fix the mess on the table.

            “What happened to Yeol?” Jongin chimes with interest, chugging down the remnants of the soup. Baekhyun is picking up the clothes splayed all over the floor, much too Jongin’s embarrassment. “—No, wait, it’s fine, you don’t need to—“

            “—It’s fine, I don’t mind.” Baekhyun says seriously, chucking the used clothes into the laundry basked. “Park Chanyeol’s on his way to the dean’s office. His key got lost mid way, so he’s going to ask for the spare at the office.” Baekhyun says with a sigh, finally finishing off the floor. “See? Now like this, you can actually see the floor!”

            Jongin acts in mocking disbelief. “Wow—that’s amazing! Just like magic!”

            Baekhyun is sent to a fit of laughter, wiping away his tears.

            “Thanks, you know, for this.” Jongin says with a smile as his laughter dies down, making Baekhyun squirm awkwardly in place. “It—It’s no big deal—“

            Baekhyun feels saved when the sound of his very old fashioned ring tone spills through the spacious room, quickly bring his hands down to his slack’s pocket. “Sorry.” He says apologetically to Jongin, who only stretches his hand out in a term that translates to no it’s fine go ahead as Baekhyun answers the phone.

            “What—Yixing’s doing what?!” Baekhyun shouts, giving Jongin a look as he realizes he shouted. He puts his hands together in a I’m sorry I really have to go if you want your friend to stay alive and Jongin just nods in the yeah I understand, go ahead as Baekhyun sprints through the doors, leaving the door to click into place.

            He wonders what Byun Baekhyun was, and how on earth he could treat his enemies as if they were patients in a hospital.

            Whatever Byun Baekhyun was—it was interesting.

 

 

 

 

            “You guys okay?” Luhan says as he pulls up his chair, lugging his exhausted body unto his desk chair. He spent all night writing down the proposition paper with Oh Sehun on skype, as Luhan couldn’t stand the silence with the younger boy. He rubs his eyelids with his fingers, waiting for the four boys to say something.

            “Hello—am I talking to anyone?”

            He looks around looking at the rather disheveled boys splayed across their tables. “Why are you guys so exhausted?”

            Yixing’s cheek is leaning against his desk, his eyes drooping. “We crammed the weekend’s homework last night and slept late…” He sighs as he remains glued to his chair. Luhan changes his view to Minseok, who wasn’t leaning towards their direction. Luhan sighs, recalling what exactly transpired over the weekend. “Oh—did Baekhyun do anything while you guys were out like bricks?”

            “He took care of us—really well actually.” Minseok chimes in, his fist grounding his temples. “I have a hunch he finished all of our homework too… I remember barely reaching halfway, and here—“

            He hands Luhan the folder of all of their homework combined. “I doubt that’s my handwriting, or Xing’s, or Jongin’s, and especially not Chanyeol‘s…” Minseok says with a grateful sigh. “He really saved our asses. Fed us lunch and dinner and gave us medicine on time—a life saver in five feet and 8 inches.”

            Jongin goes through his own homework, noticing the handwriting shift. “No wonder my first period professor gave me a standing ovation when I handed him my homework.” Jongin says, just realizing. “That kid’s amazing. Would probably be a bit tired today, all of this was a weeks worth of homework.”

            “Pfft—show off.” Chanyeol says with a grateful pout as he flips through his own.

            “Shut up—you only answered 1 question, which was wrong. See? There’s whiteout, Baekhyun had to change it.” Yixing says truthfully, not really hinting anything negative but just the plain, blunt truth.

            Chanyeol scowls, throwing his homework unto the table.

            “Where is Baekhyun?” Luhan says with a smile, happy that his friends were well taken care of. “You guys have to thank him in the Seoul High way.”

            Each boy (except Chanyeol) nod in unison, smiling mischievously.

            “What—you’re going to thank him in that way? You can’t be serious.” Chanyeol says with a sigh as he puts his legs up on his own desk. He’s about to push on the negativity, but ultimately stops when Baekhyun enters the classroom, a yawn and messy hair greeting everyone. He was wearing a white blazer this time, much to everyone’s not-so-surprise, surprise.

            “Good Morning.” Baekhyun greets with a sleepy smile, infectious enough for Yixing to be less sleepy and for Minseok’s migraine to disappear in a heartbeat. “Did you all sleep well last night?”

            “Yeah.” Jongin returns his smile, lifting the folder up to his face. “You finished all our homework, so we have to ask if you slept well.”

            Baekhyun’s face turns tomato red as soon as he finds out they realized, hanging his head down low. “S—sorry, I really didn’t mean to. Luhan called me that he’d be home around 11, so I felt bad since everyone was still in bed… I checked out Jongin’s room and saw that Jongin, Minseok, Yixing and Chanyeol were all asleep on the ground… And I saw the amount of homework they had due so I just—“

            “—Of course it’s fine—we’re completely indebt to you.” Yixing says as he bows to Baekhyun repetitively as if he was a God. “Amazing, I can’t finish a week’s worth of homework overnight.”

            “It’s no big deal.” He replies with a smile, taking his seat in front of Chanyeol. It’s only Chanyeol who doesn’t greet Baekhyun, opting to put his head down on his desk. Luhan, not wanting for Chanyeol to ignore Baekhyun, kicks his seat from behind.

            “What the hell was that for—“ Chanyeol scowls towards Luhan’s direction, who nudges Chanyeol’s direction towards Baekhyun, who had taken his seat and was looking forward.

            “You better ing say thank you to Byun Baekhyun or else I’ll kill you.” Luhan soundlessly mouths towards Baekhyun with killing intent.

            “I’d rather die.” He mouths back, baring his teeth. Luhan’s about to lift up out of his desk to hit Chanyeol when the professor enters.

           

 

 

 

            “We have to thank Baekhyun, and when we say thank we all know what that means.” Luhan says as he clasps his hands together, eyeing each boy with confidence. “The question is: where.”

            Everyone closes their eyes, trying come up with the proper place to celebrate their thanks. Chanyeol is rolling his eyes, taking more interest in his phone rather than granting Byun Baekhyun a chance. He’s already decided on not caring about Byun Baekhyun in anyway possible, even after everything they’ve been through the past week. He’s still the enemy, and he’s still pretty much going down.

            “New York?” Xiumin chips in, tapping through his phone. “It won over London as the fashion capital of the world—“

            “—No, no, somewhere not too hectic.” Luhan shakes his head in disagreement. “Somewhere he’ll be relaxed and where no one can bother him.”

            “Barcelona!” Yixing shouts in a slur of Chinese and Korean, trying his best to maintain the sanctity of the English. “Or Paris. Or Bora Bora. Or—“

            “—Ahhh you’re all so noisy.” Chanyeol hisses, losing interest in the conversation and immersing himself in an intense game of flappy bird.

            “Are you playing… flappy bird?” Minseok says, trying to hold back a laugh. “That’s so 2013.”

            Chanyeol opts to ignore the elder, plugging his earphones into his phone to drown out their conversation. When the guys want to thank someone—it always meant that them and that certain person were to go out of the country. That’s it. That’s the ultimate thanks in accordance to their taste, and it’s also a good excuse to get out of the school and plan a trip.

            But this time, Chanyeol wants no part of it.

 

 

 

 

            “Kyungsoo—Kyungsoo, come on.” Sehun whines as his arms collapse under the weight of the books slowly making its way to his arms. He’s spend that past 30 minutes trying to hold up the books perched on top of his rather thin arms, with Kyungsoo pulling out each one from the shelves. “We really don’t need any of this. It’s not like Seoul High students are animals, or something—“

            “—Yes, they are.” Kyungsoo whips around, his finger pointing menacingly towards Sehun. “You’re a freshman, so you don’t know but those kids over there—they’re monsters. All of them are either rich or famous, there’s no in between, prior or after.” Kyungsoo keeps his monotonous face in tact, a lot more intimidating than Sehun hopes for it to be. “We need to prepare the school for formal interaction with any one of them, thus creating rules to set. You’re the president of the school, you have to make sure the student body is intact and well—capeesh?” Kyungsoo sighs as Sehun nods, making his way through each book.

            “We have to make sure that this school year’s spring festival is the same as our old ones, just with a bunch of additional wolves set loose. Imagine a festival of puppies wherein the wolves were invited too—yeah, like that.”

            Sehun swallows the lump in his throat. He didn’t really think the rivalry between Seoul U and Seoul High was this strong, and frankly, he wasn’t entirely prepared with the amount of hate.

            “So starting today, whenever you meet with that Luhan guy, you have to make sure that this entire festival is in the advantage of Seoul U—go it?”

            “What—isn’t it better if our school just has fun?” Sehun says with a pout, recalling that Kyungsoo had said the same thing as Luhan. “If advantage is all your after, no student will have fun. It would be better if we have a nice, friendly and peaceful festival—“

            “—Shhhh, you talk too much.” Kyungsoo says as he stomps out of the library. “I’m counting on you, Oh Sehun. Make that Luhan and his school’s life a living hell—at least until March.”

 

 

 

           

            “It’s decided—Japan it is.” Luhan nods to himself whilst looking through the window, completely ignoring the entire ordeal. “Luhan, don’t just go and deciding for yourself.” Minseok says as he throws a pillow into his direction. They had all transferred to Chanyeol’s very spacious room, each taking a specific part of it. “We have to all agree to it since its been a while since we’ve gone out.”

            “Yeah—yeah, okay.” Luhan says with his lips jutting out. “I want to go to Japan though…”

            “Let’s just go to America, sounds good?”

            “Yeah—lets do that.”

 

 

 

            Baekhyun feels rumbling—distant rumbling from under his bed. He has to get ready for class soon, begrudgingly lifting himself out of his bed. Another Monday meant another mark of the start of endless, glorious learning—more or less enough reason for Baekhyun to even bother. As he heads straight for the bathroom, his cat-clad print pajamas swinging against his thin frame, the rumbling grows louder. He ignores it and continues to brush his teeth.

            The rumbling manages to shake him off his feet, lightly tipping over the sink. He finds himself choking on the bubbled up toothpaste, clutching his throat as he tried to spit it out.

            “Good Morning—Baek?”

            Baekhyun is left standing, his cat pajamas lathered in water and toothpaste, as 5 very well dressed boys enter his bathroom. “Oh—you were here.”

            Baekhyun chokes again, trying to wash his face in embarrassment. “What the hell—you guys could have knocked—“

            “—It’s not like you were taking a , or anything.” Chanyeol says with a exasperated pfft, his eyes averting Baekhyun’s very awkward frame. He receives a smack on the head from Luhan, who is snarling in his direction. “Don’t bully Baekhyun—he wont want to go with us if you talk to him like that.”

            Chanyeol leans from out of the bathroom door, jumping unto Baekhyun’s bed. “Whatever.” He states, laughing slightly at the sheep printed bed covers.

            “Go—Go where?” Baekhyun asks, his bed hair growing more efficient as the cold of the windows hit him. “We have class soon, I better get ready—“

            “—No, no no.” Yixing says in a unsightly English accent, wagging his index finger in Baekhyun’s face. “We don’t have class. We have a week off of class.”

            Baekhyun raises an eyebrow. “What do you mean we?”

            “Remember when we said we’d thank you?” Jongin said with a smile, his hands interlaced against his back. Everyone had take refuge in the room now, Yixing and Xiumin fiddling with random stuff across Baekhyun’s shelves. “Well… Thank you’s in Seoul High are, lets say… different.” He adds, jumping unto the bed beside Chanyeol.

            “I… don’t follow?” Baekhyun mutters, looking into the mirror to scrub down his bed hair. It still doesn’t settle down.

            “Well, by thanks we mean treating-you-to-a-trip-out-of-the-country-for-a-week thing.”

            Baekhyun’s mouth slightly parts. “What—what?”

            “Shhhhh—There’s no time.” Yixing says as he puts his very useful finger to Baekhyun’s mouth, allowing for Xiumin and Luhan to chuck all of Baekhyun’s stuff into his luggage. “You’re coming whether you like it or not.”

            “What—wait, don’t touch that—wait—“

            Chanyeol lifts Baekhyun off on his shoulders, the elder’s cat-clad pajamas brush against Chanyeol’s cheek. “Just ing go—“

            “—Ow!” Chanyeol shouts as Baekhyun starts to squirm. “Let go of me you giant—giant—giant—pug!”

            Chanyeol stands still at the implied insult, lifting an eyebrow. “You’re… not really good with insults.”

            Baekhyun screams as the rest of the gang follows Chanyeol out of Baekhyun’s dorm room. Luhan gives Chanyeol a cheeky smile, making Chanyeol avoid eye contact. “I asked you to carry him when all else fails… He hadn’t really decided yet, and you carry him out like a princess—“

            “—Hush.” Chanyeol says, his bangs fallings slightly over his eyes. He huffs the away as both of his hands are preoccupied with the squirming boy. “It was obvious he was going to say no either way—had to deal with it earlier so we could get out of here sooner.“

            Luhan smiles, hopping along beside Chanyeol quietly. “Whatever you say, Yeol.“