Chapter 4

Miniature Matchmakers

 

It's been a little over a week after Luhan and Sehun told their babysitters of their plans to get their dads together and although they have agreed to help, no one has come up with a solid game plan. The kids were counting on the adults to help but they just didn't have time.

     "Baek-hyung says that he has something called eggzams to study for. I don't know what that is but he looked very weird when he told me on Saturday." Sehun pouts as he and Luhan sit quietly on beanbag chairs. The class was patiently waiting for their teacher, Mr. Kim to come back from taking an important phone call.

     "I think that is something people do at school?" Luhan suggests.

     "Oh yeah! Baek-hyung has been going to school for a long time! He's been going since I was a baby! My daddy says he's going there to become a liar!"

     "It's lawyer, Sehun. Sometimes I watch them on TV! They wear suits and stuff! It's really cool."

     "I'm sad that Baek-hyung can't help right now though," Sehun mumbles and pulls on his shirt hem.

     "Me too. Jongin got a job and Chanyeol is nowhere to be found! What do we do?"

     "Sometimes I hear my daddy talking to Baek-hyung and they mention Chanyeol. One time I heard my dad say something about a date?"

     "Alright, children! I am back! I'm sorry it took a while but I have good news!" Jaejoong sings as he comes strolling back into the room with a large smile on his face. He gathers the students in a circle and sits down on his rocking chair to face them better. "We're going to have an art show!"

     "What's an art show?" One of the kids asks.

     "An art show, my dear children, is a show where people come to see works of art that is displayed all around. Those works of art can include, but aren't limited to paintings, drawings and sculptures." A collective chorus of 'oohs' and 'ahs' come from the kids and it looks like they're all interested. "Now, who here likes art?" About a dozen hands shoot up enthusiastically and it makes Jaejoong chuckle. "Wow, that's everyone! Why do you kids like art?"

     "Because of the pretty colours!" A boy with cute, small eyes and a mole on his nose replies.

     "I like it because it's messy!" A girl with braided pigtails shouts.

     "I love art because my daddy works with art things! He made me like art!" Luhan answers happily and Jaejoong raises his eyebrow with intrigue.

     "Really, Luhan? What kind of art job does your father have?"

     "He's an art director! I'm not really sure what it means but I think he tells people what to do with art! My dad can draw really nice too! He helps me sometimes with my drawings and paintings!"

     "Hm, that's really great. Alright, everyone! Let's assign roles for the art show so everyone will know who is doing what kind of art!" Jaejoong goes around the room and tells his students their roles and such and when he gets to Luhan and Sehun, he leads them over to a table away from the other excited children yapping away. "Luhan, I have a special role for you."

     "Ooh! What is it Mr. Kim?"

     "I would like you to do a mural for the show. A mural is a big painting with a theme of some sort. You can make one about our classroom in the springtime, since it's a beautiful season. And, since your father has a job to do with art, you can ask him to help you."

     "Oh, oh! Mr. Kim, can I help too? Pleaaaase!" Sehun exclaims and Jaejoong nods, chuckling as he gets up and goes to check on the other children. "Luhan! This is going to be so much fun!"

     "I know!"

     "Oh my gosh! I just had an idea!" Sehun says and bounces in his seat. "Since your dad will be helping, I can ask my dad to help too!"

     "Yes, Sehun, that's perfect! They already look like they are starting to like each other and maybe painting together will make them like each other even more!"

     "Yeah! This is gonna be gr—"

     "Wait, Sehun, I just thought of something!" Luhan interjects with a wide smile. "That day when you called, your dad's number must still be in my dad's cellphone! Instead of you asking for your dad to help, I'll tell my dad to ask him himself!"

     "Awesome! The art show is in two weeks so ask your dad to call tonight! We have to finish the painting quick because our dad's might not have time next week. Oh, and remember when Baek-hyung said that that lady Wendy was coming back this week? We have to make sure our dads like each other a lot before she ruins everything!" Sehun says with a determined set in his face.


☆*:.。. .。.:*☆☆*:.。. .。.:*☆


Later that day, when Luhan goes home with his dad, Yixing notices his son looking giddy ever since school was over and he tries asking if anything good happened today but Luhan assures him that he will tell him later as he runs up to his room. Yixing stares after his son but then shrugs and makes his way to the kitchen.

     At dinner, after Luhan chews a few bites of food (and makes sure to hide the vegetables which is actually pointless bc Yixing always finds them anyway) he clears his throat loudly and that gets his dad's attention.

     "Dad, you know what an art show is, right?"

     "Of course I do, Lulu. I've gotten places ready for them plenty of times! Why do you ask?"

     "My class is going to have one! In two weeks! Mr. Kim told us today!" Luhan sang.

     "Oh? Is that why you were so happy when I picked you up?"

     "Sorta. Mr. Kim gave me a big, important job to do, Dad! He asked me if I can do a mural which is like a huge painting! And Sehun is going to help too! And since you have an artsy job I asked him if you could help me too and he said yes! So, can you Dad?"

     "I would love to help you out with your mural, Lulu," Yixing agrees and ruffles his son's hair, much to his dismay. As Luhan smooths his hair back into place, he grins to himself. Now, to unleash the plan!

     "So Dad," Luhan starts again as he sees Yixing stuff some rice into his mouth. "Since Sehun is gonna help, can you ask his dad if he can help us too?" Yixing stops and stares wide eyed at Luhan with his cheeks stuffed like a hamster and Luhan giggles at the sight. When he swallows, Yixing takes a gulp of water and then sets down his glass.

     "Um, y-you want me to ask Sehun's dad to help too? Why me? Why doesn't Sehun ask?" Luhan didn't miss the little stutter in his dad's voice and it makes him grin again.

     "Sehun said it would be better if you asked since you're the grownup. And since you will be doing most of the artsy things so he wanted to make sure that you were okay with his dad helping and that you asked yourself. His words not mine." Luhan explains, crossing his fingers under the table. "You still have Mr. Kim's number somewhere in your phone, right Dad? Like in the old callers place?" 

     "Uhh, I-I might..."

     "Great! Call him when we finish dinner, okay Dad?" Luhan says and Yixing sighs, nodding his head. Luhan finishes first and takes his plate to the sink and then runs to the washroom while Yixing sits and wallows. The man stands up and clear his plate and starts washing the dishes, rehearsing in his head over and over again what he'll say. When he turns off the tap and turns around, Luhan is standing right behind him and he gets a little startled.

     "Can you call now, Dad?" Luhan impatiently asks and Yixing figures he might just get it over with. He walks with Luhan to the living room and sits down on the couch, pulling out his cell phone while Luhan stares intently. Yixing scrolls through his phone and finds Joonmyun's number, where he saved it as a contact. But no one needs to know that. He glances at his son and sees Luhan watching him so he sighs and presses the call button. Yixing holds the phone up to his ear and waits.

     "Um, hello?" Joonmyun answers after the fourth ring. When his phone rang and he saw that it was Yixing calling (he saved the number too, after all) he didn't know what to do until Sehun made him answer so that's why he sounds so hesitant.

     "Joonmyun, h-hi, it's Yixing."

     "Yeah, hey. Oh, you must be calling for Luhan to speak to Sehun, right? He's right he—"

     "Actually, no. Um, I'm calling... for you."

     "F-For me?" Yixing hears Joonmyun squeak in surprise and he stifles a tiny laugh. "What for? Oh, do you need my services?" He asks and Yixing gapes slightly at the phrasing of the question. Apparently, Joonmyun realizes how that sounds too and hurriedly corrects himself. ", no! I-I mean my paediatrician services! Not that I have any other services!" Yixing can't help but laugh at that this time and Luhan observes this and smiles to himself.

     "No, I don't need your paediatrician services, Joonmyun. Alright, so, um I don't think Sehun told you this bu—"

     "Oh my God, what did he do? Did he bite Luhan? He has a habit of that, I'm so sor—"

     "No-no!" Yixing quickly assures. "Nothing of the sort like that happened. There's actually this art show that is happening with the class and our kids' teacher asked them to do a mural. I'm going to help and um, I was just wondering if you would like to help too? B-But you don't have to if you don't want to!" 

     "An art show? Mural? Hm, I wonder why Sehun didn't tell me about that... But I'd love to help! It sounds fun, Yixing."

     "That's great," Yixing replies and shoots a thumbs up towards Luhan. "Luhan said that the show will be in two weeks so, um, when do you think would be a good time to do it?"

     "Hm, how about this Sunday?"

     "Y-Yeah, that's fine. Sunday it is, haha. Oh and since um I don't really have mural supplies lying about my house and I doubt you do too, heh, we should probably go to a craft store before and then go to a park or something and do it there. How about you meet me at my house at around one-ish? Then we can all go together?" Yixing suggests.

     "Yeah, that sounds great. I remember the way."

     "Awesome." Now, it has gotten just the slightest bit awkward because both adults just don't know what to say next.

     "So... Sunday? I'll see you then?"

     "Yep. Um, bye Joonmyun."

     "Bye, Yixing." The line cuts and Yixing falls back into the couch with an almost silent groan. Why was he like this, so awkward and dumb. Stuttering all over again like a high schooler.

     "Dad, Dad! So Sehun's dad is gonna help us right? And we're gonna do it on Sunday, right?" Luhan questions in excitement, bouncing up and down on the couch.

     "Yes, Luhan."

     "Yay! Then it's a date!" Luhan squeals and hops off the couch and runs up the stairs. Yixing stays in his position and purses his lip thoughtfully.

     "A date, huh?"


☆*:.。. .。.:*☆☆*:.。. .。.:*☆


When Sunday approaches, Yixing and Luhan put on old clothes that they wouldn't mind getting dirty with paint and wait for Sehun and Joonmyun to arrive. When they do, they are wearing old clothes too and are ready to go. All of them drive to the nearest craft store in Yixing's car and buy everything they need to make the best mural ever! Joonmyun suggests that they go to this park they past on the way because he saw that it has a nice concrete area next to the benches that would be perfect for them to do the mural.

     "Are you sure you kids will be alright with carrying the paper?" Joonmyun asks as Luhan and Sehun lift the medium sized roll of paper out of the trunk.

     "Of course, Dad! We're not babies! We're strong, young men!" Sehun quips as he and Luhan hoist the roll onto their shoulders. Yixing and Joonmyun share an amused look as they gather everything else and follow their boys. Luhan and Sehun spread the roll out and place rocks on the corners so if there was a big gust of wind, it wouldn't ruin their work.

     "Alright everyone, are you ready to make the best mural ever?" Yixing asks as he stands like a sergeant above them. The three of them shout a 'yes!' that makes Yixing smile. He glances at Joonmyun and sees the man watching him intently and even though his cheeks warm a little, Yixing continues his mock military lesson. "Okay, so the theme of this mural is springtime. What I was thinking is that we paint the entire class dancing and playing in lavender fields. Some of the children playing ring around the rosy; some playing tag. We'll include Mr. Kim watching them fondly as he sits in the grass. We can put an orchard in the back, blooming with fruit! Maybe some animals too! Squirrels coming out from hibernation! Birds flying through the sky! Deer in the background! Ooh, how about a river flowing through the painting! And in the water, a boat with—"

     "Daaaad!" Luhan cuts Yixing off with a whine. "You're doing it again. The ideas are really good but Mr. Kim will think it looks too good to be painted mostly by us!"

     "Ah, you're right, Lulu. Sorry, I was in the zone." Yixing sheepishly apologizes.

     "That sounds super cool, Mr. Zhang! We should do a painting like that next time!" Sehun insists with awe.

     "Sehun's right, that does sound super cool," Joonmyun says. "You're an art director, right Yixing? You must be really good at your job because I could seriously see that painting come to life in my head."

     "T-Thanks, Joonmyun," Yixing stutters and his cheeks get even warmer. Sehun nudges Luhan during their dad's exchange and they share a few silent squeals. "Okay, so we'll just do the lavender fields, the kids and Mr. Kim, a tiny version of the orchard in the background and maybe a few small animals. Alright, let's get started! Joonmyun, I need you to start mixing some paint. I need a sky blue: two parts white, one part blue. A pretty lavender: two parts white, one part purple and a drop each of pink and blue. Add more of the pink and blue if you feel like it. I'll also need yellow for the sun which should be one part yellow and three drops of orange. Sehun, Luhan, run over to the park's drinking fountain and fill up the two bowls we brought with the water. Also take the brushes and give them a quick rinse. I'll start putting the other colours in the palettes."

     Yixing finishes his orders and plops himself down on the ground as he starts to open some of the paint bottles. Luhan and Sehun take the containers and brushes and sprint off to the fountain while the two adults ready the paint.

     "It must be fun getting to order around your staff like that too, right?" Joonmyun suddenly says to break the silence and Yixing looks at him, amused.

     "Order my staff around? Not really, Joonmyun. I just tell them my visions and show them what to do to make the piece we're working on look better. I listen to their comments and concerns and come up with ideas so we're all happy." Yixing answers, smiling fondly. He loves his job.

     "Ah, you make sure everyone is happy in the end. No wonder you're so charming," Joonmyun sighs and then realizes that he said that out loud by Yixing's mildly surprised and flustered face. "I-I um! Uh... I meant— wha, , I-I... I think I'll just keep on mixing and shut up." He finally mumbles and turns his attention on the paint in front of him. When Luhan and Sehun come back, they're confused upon seeing both of their dads red faced and looking down.

     "It looks like one of them said something really embarrassing, Sehun!" Luhan whispers to the other boy.

     "Yeah, but since no one is cursing, maybe it was a good embarrassing?" Sehun whispers back. They shrug and sit down, dipping their brushes in some paint and pressing it onto the paper.

     After forty minutes go by, their mural is almost finished. All they had left to do was put in a few more children and add a few details here and there. Luhan and Sehun took care of the children while Joonmyun and Yixing took care of the details. Ten minutes later, it was finally finished. Their hands had paint splotches and some parts of their clothes did too but it was all worth it because it turned out really lovely.

     During the time they made this, Yixing and Joonmyun's awkwardness was almost nonexistent as they chatted and Sehun and Luhan were ecstatic! Also, they all learned that the park had sprinklers that came on when they were painting and it almost ruined the mural if they didn't quickly move it away.

     "We did a really great job didn't we?" Joonmyun remarks, nudgling Yixing with his elbow and then fist bumps the boys.

     "Hm, I guess," Yixing sighs dramatically. "I still would have loved the river and boat." He sees the others' playful glares and chuckles, holding his hands up in defence. "I'm kidding, it's a really pretty painting. Your class is going to love it, boys! By the way, why do you think your teacher wanted the springtime theme? It's not even winter yet."

     "I think it's because Mr. Kim likes flowers!" Sehun says and Luhan fist bumps him, agreeing with his reply.

     "Well, I think it's because Mr. Kim's birthday is in spring! I mean, who wouldn't love the season their birthday is in!" Yixing guesses but Sehun and Luhan shake their heads, making Yixing pout. "What about you Joonmyun? Why do you think the theme is springtime?"

     "I think it's because spring is a time of rebirth and growth. And he chose this theme to represent the children's growth because by spring next year, they'll have grown up a little and will be ready for the next grade." He answers and Yixing, Luhan and Sehun stare at him in shock. "What?"

     "Just—that was pretty deep, Joonmyun. I didn't know you could be that deep." Yixing teases.

     "Shut up," Joonmyun mutters back and playfully shoves Yixing, making him fake gasp.

     "You did not just push me!"

     "Oh but I did. What are you gonna do about it?" Joonmyun mocks and sticks his tongue out like a child. Luhan and Sehun happily watch their dads tease each other and they secretly high five each other because their dads are really getting close.

     "I'm gonna do this!" Yixing says and picks up the brush in the lavender paint and wipes it across Joonmyun's cheek. He giggles at the man's shocked expression but then gulped when he sees Joonmyun reach for the blue soaked brush.

     "Take that!" Joonmyun flicks the brush and splatters of blue paint land on Yixing's face and he sputters as the kids stifle back their laughter. Joonmyun takes this chance of Yixing's his surprise to grab some brushes and half empty bottles of paint and run because Yixing is gonna be out for blood. A few moments after Joonmyun leaves, Yixing war cries and picks up the remaining paint and charges after him. Sehun and Luhan share a look then grab the rest of the brushes and join in the fun!

     They team up, father and son versus father and son and squirt, throw and splatter paint on each other to the point where all four of them look like they just walked off a rainbow. When the paints are finished, they fall onto the grass in a laughing mess because they all looked too funny. Their laughter, though, is cut short when the sprinklers turn on but instead of running away, the four of them play in the sprinklers as the paint on their bodies is washed away.

     After all traces of paint are gone, they all lay in the grass and stare up at the clouds as their mural and clothes dry. Towards late afternoon, when their clothes are no longer wet, Yixing, Joonmyun, Luhan and Sehun clean up their things and gather the supplies to take back. They roll up the mural and place it in the car before Yixing drops Joonmyun and Sehun home.

     "Today was great," Joonmyun says as he and Sehun climb out of the car but stay lingered by it. "We should, uh, do it again sometime?"

     "Oh yeah, definitely!" Yixing replies with a grin. "Bye, Sehun, Bye Joonmyun!"

     "Bye everyone!" Luhan echoes from the back and Yixing rolls down the windows so he can be seen.

     "Bye Luhan! Bye, Mr. Zhang!" Sehun calls and waves enthusiastically.

     "Have a goodnight, Luhan, Yixing." Joonmyun waves too and gives the father-son pair a heart warming smile (that totally doensn't make Yixing melt) and turns around to walk inside their house. Sehun stays to give Luhan a knowing wink that says 'our plan is coming along smoothly.' Luhan reciprocates it just as Yixing drives off with pink cheeks.

 

 

 

 

 

 


[A/N] Yeah, so, how do you do? It's been a while, hasn't it? Uh yeah well I've been going through a reallyyyyyy bad writer's block ever since I lost a good chunk of my story and chapter ideas from my phone and I've been really unmotivated but I'm easing my way back slowly. I finished two chaptered stories I had for a long time last month so I guess that's progress.

Anyway, for this story, I have finally gotten a sense of where it will go and how it will end but it's just the filler chapters I gotta work on more, lol

To be fair on y'all, this is a double update! I have another chapter probably coming up soon too!

I'm sorry for being a bad author :(