Family

Unrequited

Their relationship had shifted. It was like there was tension between the two boys that neither one could break ever since the night in Jimin's room. Although it had been a few weeks, Jimin still remembers it so clearly...

 
He had been putting bandages around Jungkook's feet when he'd caught his eyes; they were so big and bright even under the dim light. Something in the atmosphere had changed. Jimin's breathing became uneven and almost erratic, the clothes he was wearing had started sticking to his body from sweat and heat but he didn't feel alone in the situation either. Jimin could hear the change in Jungkook's breathing go from steady to unstable in what seemed like half of a second. Jimin pushed himself off the ground and almost fell over from nervousness but the way Jungkook's eyes still looked determined Jimin figured that he hadn't seen him falter. Jimin sat right next to Jungkook on the bed and he sat so close to Jungkook that it felt like Jimin could hear the racing pace of Jungkook's heartbeat. Maybe he did, he wasn't too sure. He had no idea what had happened, everything turned into a blur and the next thing he knew was that his head was tilted and Jimin was leaning towards Jungkook. But he realized that he wasn't making the move alone, he could tell they were both going towards each other. He could feel Jungkook's lips hovering lightly over his own and Jimin placed his hands on either side ofJungkook's body to lean in further to get any space that was between them to disappear. It wasn't even a peck. Their lips had barely touched but Jimin's heart was pounding so hard it almost fell to the ground below him. Then nothing. After they broke the kiss Jungkook laid down on Jimin's bed and resumed back to scrolling through his phone. Everything went back to normal. They didn't talk about it and they still haven't.
 
 
Jungkook was confused about what happened in Jimin's room, he had no idea how it happened but he knew he was the one who initiated it, he could see the look he was giving Jimin even without a mirror. But the confusing part about the whole incident was that Jungkook didn't even care that he'd kissed a boy, let alone a boy named Park Jimin. Instead of feeling a burden on his shoulders, he felt light like there wasn't a care in the world but he had no idea how a "kiss" from one of his extremely annoying best friends made him feel this way; it just didn't make sense to him. 
 
Jungkook's thoughts of Jimin hadn't seceded in weeks, it'd even seemed like his feelings for Jimin had grown stronger but what feelings were they? He had no idea what he'd felt for Jimin. Were they friends or something more? Everything was so confusing and hard to understand, and being as young as he was, Jungkook didn't know what he wanted. Especially when it came to people he liked.
 
He needed space.
 
 
 
 
Walking into his bland classroom late once again, Jimin sat in the only open seat who obviously was beside Sooyeon, the class clown who annoyed rather than humor him. He rolled his eyes as he heard the clown's voice speak louder than the instructors. "Park Jimin!" 
He took a seat in the chair and said a small but polite hello to him while still trying to ignore him as he tries to find Taehyung. Where is he?
 
Suddenly the door bursts open with it hitting the wall built right behind it. A familiar rectangular smile is seen and a small laugh echoes throughout the room. All eyes are on the person who threw open the door and Jimin recognizes the boy right away: Taehyung.
 
Taehyung chuckles to himself and walks into the room awkwardly trying not to make any noise as a sorry for how loud he'd just been until he sees that there are no open seats in the room. "No chairs? Where am I supposed to sit?!"
 
"You'll have to go grab one from another classroom and go to the one next door. I'd like to hear you when you get hurt this time." the teacher states without once looking up at the nervous brown haired boy. 
 
Taehyung shuts the door quietly behind him and walks into the empty hallway. Wait, what am I doing out here? Oh right, chairs.
 
"Taehyung!" a voice yells behind hind him. Spinning around he sees a muscular figure get clearer and clearer as they walk towards him. Jungkook. "Why aren't you in class, hyung?" 
 
Tae huffs at Jungkook and walks away from him and goes straight to a random classroom.
 
"Tae!" Jungkook yells as he catches up to him and he grabs his arm turning him around. "Why'd you just ignore me? Did I do something wrong?"
 
"Jimin won't stop ing about you. My ears are about to fall off because of you. He doesn't talk about anything else but you, it's so annoying."
 
Jungkook bows his head in regret as he thinks of the brown haired boy. He didn't mean to hurt him but he couldn't stop thinking about Jimin; Jungkook wanted all the thoughts of him to stop. He couldn't stand his grades dropping and his parents bothering him about everything and even asking if he had a girlfriend who was distracting him from his studies. How could he say it was a boy who was doing those things? How could he let them bear the shame of having a son who likes the same ? That was it, he couldn't. He wouldn't say anything about it and he wouldn't do anything about it either. 
 
"Jeon Jungkook?!" a familiar voice calls out into the empty hallway. he turns around and sees his teacher's head sticking out of the door. "Come back to class!" 
 
Jungkook notices that the hall is now empty and realizes that Taehyung most likely left while he was thinking to himself. He couldn't even think of a lie to tell Tae to excuse his avoidance of Jimin. He doesn't want to hurt Jimin but he already has.
 
Although he knows his parents would be completely disappointed in him, he decides to skip the rest of class for the day; all Jungkook can do is think about Jimin, he can't be in class. 
 
 
 
"Tae?" Jimin whispers to the almost sleeping boy next to him.
 
His eyes don't even flutter. "Yeah?" 
 
Jimin thinks over what he was about to say to Taehyung and decides not to say anything after all. He shifts his body slightly looking for a comfier spot to be in than before. 
 
Taehyung sighs and nudges Jimin slightly with his elbow. "What?"
 
Taehyungs eyes are closed but can feel the bed move back and forth meaning Jimin shook his head at him. 
"Will you tell me what you were going to say?"
 
"It's not important."
 
Taehyung sighs again and falls asleep next to his best friend that has already fallen into a coma from extreme tiredness.
 
 
Jimin stirs awake after his nose gets whiffs of the delicious scent of breakfast coming from downstairs and decides to go down and see who's cooking and what they've made. Whistles and hollers start as soon as Jimin enters the kitchen having him cover his face with his long sleeves and break out into a hidden smile. 
 
"Hey, no need to be shy!"
 
Jimin giggles and wraps his family into a big hug making them all laugh. Suddenly he hears the sound of a spatula hit a metal pan and realized a member of his family is missing out on the hug that's being given.
 
"Are you just going to continue cooking for me or are you going to join in the family hug?" Jimin says to the chef who's smiling at him now. 
 
The boy walks over to the small crowd and is welcomed into the hug. After a while, everyone is released from each other and Jimin looks at all the faces of his family paying attention to all the smiles he sees and his eyes finally rest on the chef who's smile is the biggest of them all. A perfect rectangle that's as white as stars. 
 
Jimin notices that everyone's hands are balled up in fists and is wondering why and then realizes what day it is. Before he knows it everything is happening in slow motion and both hands of every person in the room is thrown out tossing rainbow colored confetti everywhere while they all scream happy birthday in all different times making it seem like there was at least a hundred people in the small and rustic kitchen. Jimin couldn't keep the smile off of his face; he felt the only emotion he could feel at the moment was love. Love for all the people in his life and love for himself.