Kinfolks

The Way We Were

CHAPTER 1;

 

I grew up sheltered in a palatial mansion, with an older sister that has got everything I ever wanted; top grades, loving parents, and the Jung Empire group. Don’t get me wrong, I have pretty decent grades as well and obviously, we have the same set of parents. I could never top the school as my sister can though nor receive equal amount of faith and trust from our parents, neither will I be able to own our family business. That’s what I’ve been told since young, and presumably, since Soo Hyeon is the older sibling she gets superior privileges.

 

In school, I am only known as 'Soo Hyeon’s sister', the less capable version of her. At home, the dinner table is always laid with Soo Hyeon’s favorite dishes, our parents will only carry Soo Hyeon’s share of souvenirs when they return from business trips while I'll only receive measly trinkets from my sister's spares. I’ll often try to understand and often try to ignore that distinct unfairness but at times, I can't help desiring the love and attention she gets. If it's not possible then perhaps, just half of her share? A quarter of it? Sometimes, it feels as though my heart is an expanding balloon, close to exploding from the muted pain. And sometimes, all you can do is smile. Move on with your day, hold back the tears and pretend you're okay. What's the point of the futile tears anyway?

 

I was seated at my study desk, staring blankly at my math problems as though they are complex astrometry. Maybe astrology is even easier than math! After all, it is so much more interesting. If only I had Soo Hyeon's wit, I'll finish this in a flash. In the midst of waddling in self-pity, a knock echoed through my room. Startled, I jolted in my seat. "It can't be Umma, oh no, what would she say if she sees me fumble with my math problems-"

 

“It’s me, Soo Hyeon!”

 

“What do you want?” I gave a sigh of relief as I shuffled to the door, swinging it open

 

My precious sister stood in front of me all dressed in pajamas looking great in it. Her eyes twinkled with excitement as she held my wrists abruptly “Come on!” and I was dragged off without a chance to protest.

 

The next thing I knew was that I was standing in the garden of our mansion. It was spacious, with trees and shrubs lining the perimeter. A few plots of flowers surround the pavilion in which our house gardeners gave careful attention to. This is one of the few places at home I can find serenity in. A few thousand little light bulbs were flickering in front of my eyes, like stars in the night sky. Amazed by the sight, I took wee steps towards the giant oak tree as I feel the grass beneath my feet tickling my toes. Little lights buzzed around me as I felt the atmosphere tingle with magic, my hands reached out to the enchanted air involuntarily, grinning ear to ear.

 

“Fireflies. Aren’t they beautiful?” Soo Hyeon whispered with amazement “Look at how gracefully they are dancing, isn’t it magical? It’s like our own little sky of shooting stars in our garden, oh just think of the wishes we can make!”

 

At the sound of her voice, I snapped out of my trance and wiped off the beam on my face, I turned to Soo Hyeon and deadpanned, “Don’t be childish. I’m tired I’m going to bed.”

 

“Hey, wait up!” I hear her hasty footsteps behind me. Annoyed, i quicken my pace. Before I can even make my way up the stairs, our mother appeared with a very apparent scowl. Taking a deep breathe, I braced myself for the lecture she was about to bestow me. Right after Soo Hyeon was sent to bed, I was discoursed once again through how I should not be distracting my sister from her studies, how I should be more considerate towards her and how I was going to get grounded for a week. 

 

I trudge back to my room and slumped across my bed. A twinkle at my desk caught my eyes and I squinted to get a clearer picture. Reluctantly, I crossed my room to the desk and picked up the jar enclosed with a dozen fireflies. Attached was such a note;

 

‘They say, if you want something you never had, you have do something you’ve never done. Sometimes you just need to perhaps, make a wish and believe in a better tomorrow. I’ve saved a few for you, so make a wish, Jung En.’