one of one

Vanishing

Junmyeon was walking down the street. The buildings on either side of the street didn't look familiar to Junmyeon, but he didn't mull over it too much. Some of the signs were in Korean, some in Chinese and some in English. Nothing too foreign, even if he didn't understand everything. It was relatively quiet, away from the hustle and bustle of the metropolis.

He was admiring the architecture when a tall, handsome man caught his eye. He squinted to get a better look, and the man looked really familiar. Is that Yifan?! What would Yifan be doing here? As he approached the man, he broke into a grin as the man was indeed Yifan. He had recognised him although they haven't met in a few years.

"Yifan!" Junmyeon called out and waved excitedly. To his dismay, Yifan didn't respond at all. Perhaps he's busy on the phone, Junmyeon thought. He decided to stand in Yifan's path and wave, but he continued to be ignored by Yifan. Frustrated, he launched himself towards Yifan so he would ram into him, only to hit the floor, hard, as Yifan disappeared into thin air.

Junmyeon groaned in pain as he brought himself up to his feet, brushing his scraped hands. He frantically looked around, but no sign of Yifan at all. He was terrified, but he didn't know anyone who could help him, and he didn't even have any communication devices. He took a few deep breaths and told himself, "Okay... okay. That was only an illusion, right?" and started walking again.

He caught sight of another familiar figure - Luhan. He tried to get Luhan's attention, but of course to no avail: he could only stare with his eyes wide as he watched Luhan walk on invisible stairs. He tried to follow, but he couldn't touch or see anything at all. Eventually, he watched Luhan disappear into the sky.

He shook his head hard, trying to clear his mind, and continued down the street. This time, he saw Zitao, dressed in a luxury coat which looked way too extravagant compared to everyone else on the street, and was definitely too warm for the weather. Regardless, he stood in Zitao's path to see what would happen. Zitao was smiling at a ring on his ring finger, and he kissed the ring. Junmyeon closed his eyes and waited for Zitao to collide with him, but it never happened. He turned around immediately, and he managed to catch the last of Zitao before he completely disappeared.

Junmyeon was completely confused and nothing could explain what he just experienced. His friends were disappearing one by one, and it was creeping him out. He tried touching the buildings, and they were tangible. He also confirmed that the floor was tangible when he fell earlier. Then why wasn't anyone noticing him? Was he dead, or were they all dead and in an alternate universe?

He was getting lost in his thoughts when he spotted Minseok sitting outside a cafe, with a cup of coffee on the table. He went closer for a better look, not trying to get his attention this time, and Minseok vanished as soon as he took a sip of the coffee. Junmyeon shook his head slowly as he continued his walk. Nothing made any sense and there was nothing he could do about it either, other than watch and overthink.

He then saw Chanyeol pinning Baekhyun to a pillar. Junmyeon smiled unknowingly as he watched them whisper "I love you" to each other. As Chanyeol leaned in for a kiss, they both disappeared together. Junmyeon mind snapped back to reality, and he was starting to feel lonely and lost because no one would acknowledge him and everyone was disappearing.

Just then, Kyungsoo and Jongin were walking together, laughing as they did. Jongin pulled Kyungsoo into a tight hug, and as expected, they both vanished. Sehun followed close behind, and he was talking on the phone. Junmyeon clearly heard him exclaim, "Luhan-hyung?!" before disappearing. Junmyeon wasn't even hoping for them to see him anymore.

Jongdae was helping a small-framed lady out of a clinic. He didn't know if it counted as eavesdropping, but Junmyeon heard them say something about having a celebration for their first child, and sure enough, they disappeared too.

Junmyeon had enough of the craziness, without getting any answers and he just wanted to get out, wherever it meant. He started running without a destination in mind, and went wherever his legs would take him. He kept running and running, and he was tired but he wouldn't stop. He wanted out. He clenched his teeth and pressed on, until he found himself approaching a cliff. He slowed down as he noticed a figure standing at the cliff.

It was Yixing, and he smiled at Junmyeon as though he'd been waiting for Junmyeon's arrival. Junmyeon was panting, still tired from all the running. He couldn't go forward anymore, so he might as well try his luck with Yixing.

"Yixing... You're not going to disappear too, are you?"

Yixing just smiled in response.

Junmyeon was almost desperate, "The others... None of them acknowledged my existence. But you, Yixing, you can't do this to me too... You can't leave me alone..." He stared at Yixing, all of him hoping that at least one person would talk to him. He knew hope was a dangerous thing, but it wasn't like he had any other choices left.

Yixing stared at Junmyeon for a long while.

"Junmyeon."

Junmyeon's tears spilled out without warning, and he couldn't stop them from flowing. He'd been so overwhelmed and confused the whole time, words could not express how relived he felt hearing Yixing say his name. All the hope he'd pinned on Yixing didn't go to waste.

"Haven't you realised? They all vanished when they found happiness. Yifan was on the phone with his mother, telling her that he was finally going to get married. Exploring the sky was everything Luhan dreamt of. Zitao finally got a promise of love from Yifan. Minseok-hyung dedicated his life to the perfect coffee, which he finally tasted. Baekhyun and Chanyeol finally realised their feelings for each other. Jongin and Kyungsoo were satisfied just having each other. Sehun finally spoke to Luhan, his best friend, again after years of losing contact. Jongdae was going to have his first child, completing his family."

Everything Yixing said struck Junmyeon like a train. He had been too busy wondering why everyone was ignoring him to notice anything. He had been too focused on his own feelings to realise what others were feeling. He turned his attention back to the person in front of him.

Junmyeon carefully asked, "What about you, Yixing? Have you found yours?"

Yixing smiled and looked down, "I have, in fact."

Junmyeon's eyes widened, "Does that mean you are going to disappear?"

Yixing nodded slowly, "Logically, yes."

Junmyeon shouted, "No! Please don't leave me.... please. I only have you."

Yixing chuckled, "And the same goes for me."

Yixing stepped forward to give Junmyeon a tight hug.

Junmyeon couldn't stop crying as he pleaded, "I promise to love you forever. Please, just don't leave."

Yixing smiled and stepped back. "Thank you for giving me happiness. I love you too."

Junmyeon smiled too, despite his tears.

Yixing gave Junmyeon one last look and said, "Come with me," before he stepped back and fell into the endless abyss.

Junmyeon screamed, "Noooooooo! Yixing!" He knew he couldn't let the love of his life disappear in front of his eyes like that, so he dived down after Yixing without hesitation, and entered free fall into the abyss following Yixing.

-

Junmyeon jolted up in his bed. He felt his surroundings. It was his bed. His familiar, homely bed. He was still breathing hard, slowly calming down. It was a bad dream, just a bad dream.

A familiar voice called out, "Junmyeon-hyung! Come and have your lunch!"

He spun his head at that voice and saw Yixing standing by the door. He rushed out of his bed to hold Yixing in his hands. He carefully touched his face, his arms, his body, every part of Yixing. He was real. Yixing did not leave him. Tears of relief flowed down his cheeks and Yixing tilted his head at Junmyeon, confused.

"What's wrong, hyung?" Yixing pulled Junmyeon into a hug and rubbed Junmyeon's back in soothing circles.

Junmyeon shook his head in Yixing's shoulder, "Nothing, I'm just glad you're still alive."

Yixing cocked an eyebrow and chuckled, "Why wouldn't I be?" He pulled back to look at Junmyeon's face, and rubbed the tears away. "Go wash up and have your lunch, okay?"

Junmyeon nodded, still sobbing.

"I love you, Yixing."

"I love you too."

Junmyeon captured Yixing's lips between his own. It tasted so sweet, so right. It was reassuring. He could hear the other kids making noise in the living room; he sighed in relief and smiled.

It was only a bad dream.


 

A/N:

Idk if that was predictable or not HAHA but I think the idea came about when I was trying to write some angsty stuff.
But really, when you dream, you see some familiar and unfamiliar stuff, but you don't really question anything.
At least that's what I felt from my personal experiences. That's why Junmyeon didn't question the mix of English, Chinese and Korean signs ahaha.
Yeap anyway that's that, and idk if I will be back with more sulay anytime soon but probably not because exams ;__;
Thanks for reading anyway!!

-jungbros