ONE

Bare Lady
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

ONE

They said she was the epitome of beauty, with unusual hazel brown eyes-- a rarity in comparison to the population in the school; she has pale skin, which will turn a rosy tint when embarrassed, the flawless skin covering her petite figure further accentuated by her mane of inky black hair. What they thought of her sounded so perfect that she wished she could have exchanged it for a better childhood and a happy family instead.

Gulping down the energy drink she bought from the small convenience store on the way to the school, she proceeded to throw the glass bottle into the trash can and continued her walk. Biting back the memory of yesterday, she got ready to face the worst, for today was the day when the high school students would know their partner for the next three years.

She didn’t know whether she should blame it on the ageing citizens for not wanting to marry, or the new president who had quickly risen up to be known as the devil for youngsters. Or maybe she should blame both, for if not because of their selfishness, they wouldn’t have to suffer from having to take care of another life– a baby.  

She sighed, fixing her gaze on the large glass building that stood high and proud, surrounded by cherry blossom trees and wooden benches; there was a man-made pond bordered with a variety of stones found around the school compound and lastly, a stone pathway that lead directly to the double doors of the building. Usually she enjoyed the pretty landscape, but today, she found it plain awful to watch.

Gloomily, she followed the trail and entered the air-conditioned building. The gym hall was filled with the chatters of students as well as the squeaking of shoes against the floor whilst the school technicians did their habitual routine on testing each microphone that were going to be used. 

“Testing, testing, one, two, three…”

“Alright! To all my anxious students, please take a seat and do calm your chattering. Goodness gracious, we’re not in the fish market, are we?” The principal spoke with vitality despite being in the early morning. Furthermore, it’s Sunday, the day she was supposed to be pampered to attend church and praise the Lord, but instead the school had decided to take the students’ only free time (despite the school seniors' protests in already having tight schedules) to assemble them in the gym building.

“Sooyeon honey, don’t just stand there! Take a vacant seat!” The principal calls out, when she spots the noirette glancing around in slight confusion. Said black-haired girl blushed when all eyes turned towards her; quickly, she shuffled herself and plopped down into the nearest empty seat, which fortunately happened to be beside her classmate. Finally managing to setle everything down, the principal cleared -- just like every cliché, ever – before breaking the news with a heavy sigh.

“Students, as you all know, the rate of ageing citizens has reached a rather risky state. With that, our newly elected president has declared a new law-- young people, of the minimum age of sixteen are required to at least bear a baby.” The principal’s frown curled deeper with each word she spoke, as if understanding the hardships of young parents. Never had she wanted such a thing to happen to her students, but unfortunately, she held neither position had nor power to stop it.

“With the personality tests all of you had done this week, along with the academic results, and the teachers’ comments, we have paired you according to compatibility.” The principal gave a smile that did not reach her eyes, “I will now let Mrs Lee announce the news of your partners.”

‘Click, click, click.’

The sound of heels tapping against the floor echoed in Sooyeon’s head as a waft of baby powder passes by her, carrying the heavy bump of another life, Mrs Lee reached the podium and smiled, but her eyes held entirely another message. It would have been a lie to say nobody in the gym hall noticed the emotions welling in her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter