The Beginning

The Hidden Psychopath

"Congratulations Amber and Krystal you two really make a perfect couple, I hope you guys will continue to love each other endlessly, stay sweet and caring. I know you guys only meet once or twice a month for the past years but I know it's not a hindrance for you to love each other faithfully" 

One year. One year ever since Krystal and Amber met each other in a social site. Amber, who was based in California came to pass by Krystal's account who was currently in South Korea. Flirting was their first step in getting to know each other, name, age and location was their first topic that led to late night messages, calls and video calls with the help of some good apps currently available in the market. 

They never saw themselves in love with one another for at first it was all just a past time, a way to divert their attention from all the crap. 

Once a month. That was their meeting arrangement, every month Amber or Krystal would leave their respective countries to see each other for 3 days and then comes back to their hometown to continue their own lives and work. It wasn't that hard for them for they have high paying jobs. Krystal as an accountant of a private company while Amber as a manager of a 5 star restaurant widely known around Cali. 

Today was their most awaited day, their wedding. The closure to all their what if's and how about's, the day where they would start to live together to be a family and raise their own kids as one. The day they would start living in Washington DC.

It was like a dream came true for two people who barely see each other and now stays in one another's arms without worrying that tomorrow might be the end.

"I promise you guys that I'll take care of this beautiful princess in my arms, she'll be protected with my everything and forever I will love her" 

Amber, who was glamorously handsome in her white suit confidently talked to everyone, pulling her now wife closer beside her. She was regarded as the most cheerful worker at her previous restaurant, all smiling, loved by everyone. 

Amazingly intelligent. that was Amber's trademark on their workplace. she graduated Summa Laude in one of the most prestigious schools in California and worked as an Supervisor, also being the financial analyst of the same company. 

Different from others, she was an all around worker. Aside from checking her employees, she also helps them in devising new ways to improve their menu and to gather more customers inside. Truly she was an asset to Mrs. Davis, the owner, because she helped a lot to allocate the right proportion of the company budget thus making more profit every quarter. 

This time, at the same instance that Mrs. Davis planned to branch out to DC, she appointed Amber as the sole director for the restaurant. She's now in charge of everything and was already considered as her right hand. 

It was a great opportunity for Amber since she's now married that when she learnt about the president's plan she didn't thought twice and immediately grabbed the offer. Good thing, Krystal agreed to her planned arrangements and she too became a freelance accountant at Mrs. Davis' businesses. 

Krystal loved Amber more than she imagined. At first she thought everything would stop in flirting and nothing more would progress between them but she was wrong. That day when Amber appeared infront of her apartment with a bouquet of roses in her hands, smiling sweetly with a dorky face, she knew how serious the tomboy was for their relationship. 

She has doubts at first of course, but it didn't stop her from trying until she saw herself in a serious commitment for one year with the most wonderful person she knew and she was thankful. 

"Have you thought of living in Washington?" Amber fiddled with the fork on her hands as she looked down at her girlfriend's plate. 

They were at a Korean restaurant, few blocks from Krystal's place and one of their favorites. It was January that time and Amber took a week long leave from her work unknown to the girl opposite her.

"DC? I've been in California but in DC... I think if the neighborhood is friendly, I can manage" For the first time in their relationship and dates, Krystal felt weird about the topic. 

"What about working in DC?" 

"If someone wants to have me in their team, Yes" 

"What about marrying me and stay in DC?" 

Krystal unconsciously dropped the spoon she was holding and stared. Now she didn't expect that, Amber was right there, smoothly spreading out her plans on marrying her like it was some sort of small deal. 

"Open the cover of that bowl please" How the turn of events confused her, one time Amber was semi-proposing to her and then the next asking her to lift open the bowl which she did. 

The small circular handle of the bowl detached from its body, revealing a simple ring made from diamonds. She was surprised, amazed, bewildered and all other sorts of feelings came to her all at the same time. This she didn't expect, this was all too sudden but still... she wanted it, she didn't realize how she wanted it until now. 

"We're like playing around, meeting once or twice a month for three days isn't enough for me. Messaging, video calls and those other stuff we did to maintain this relationship isn't enough for me. I want you to be with me, build a family with me and stay with me through all our ups and downs. I want to be present whenever you're having PMS and throw me things, growl at me and boss me around. I want to see your face the moment I open my eyes the next morning, I want to buy you everything you want, I want you Krystal Jung" 

Krystal can feel a tear fall down from her eye, followed by another one until she was sobbing not because of sadness but extreme happiness. Her family never believed her when she said Amber was serious but seeing this from her girlfriend, she was beyond convinced. 

"But what about my family?" 

"I'll buy a property for them too. One for us, one for them. I can't just leave them here, I know how attached you are to them" 

Krystal stood from her seat and threw her arms around Amber, she's willing to do anything and she was beyond thankful for her consideration to her family. 

"I want to share with the expenses for our house" 

"Our house is solely my expense, your parent's house I can think of it " 

"But why?" 

"I'm the pillar, I want to be the one providing you your needs" 

"Okay then, I'll take 75% of the expenses for my family. I can't let you shoulder all" 

"I'm rich, no worries" 

"Such a cocky llama" 

Krystal remembered that day, the day when Amber propsed and how her family had their jaws opened upon Amber's proposal, they transferred after 3 months, exactly one month before their wedding. 

She smiled back at Amber who was staring deeply in her eyes after she finished her speech in their on going reception. Everyone was happy, joyous and lively, the cake slicing was perfect, the dance and toast were neatly done too. 

But one thing was still missing and it Amber's grandmother. 

"I'm sorry to interrupt you Mrs. Liu but someone was waiting outside. They introduced themselves as FBI." 

"Amber and Krystal looked at each other confusingly, thinking why would FBI be coming over to their reception but they obliged and told their guests to wait for a moment and they would be back. 

"Goodevening, I am Agent Kim Taeyeon and this is my associate Agent Kwon Yuri, we're from the FBI, we would just like to ask you some questions regarding Mrs. Liu Huan?" 

"I'm her granddaughter, how can we help you?" Krystal sensed the tension growing from Amber and she couldn't do anything but to grasp her wife's arms to somehow calm her down. 

"She was found dead inside her hotel room. Estimated time of death is 2:48pm" 

"% hours ago?" 

"I'm sorry ma'am but yes" 

"Where is she?" 

"At the hospital morgue, If you may - " 

"I'll say my leave to the guests, stay with them for a while Krystal" 

Krystal admired how Amber held the news calmly, she knew she was bewildered and the death of her beloved grandmother crushed her heart but still she appears composed and in control. 

"Bound by the wrists, mouth gagged and stabs on her chest. We suspect it was robbery, cameras were turned off and the memory cleared.All of her cash and gadgets together with jewelries were taken with him" Taeyeon concisely explained everything to them, feeling the same remorse Amber and Krystal was feeling. 

"Now I know why she wasn't there during the wedding ceremony" 

"May I know where were you around 2 in the afternoon?" Yuri who was just quietly taking down notes was the one to ask this time, making sure foul play was removed from the possible list. 

"I am at the function room, talking with the caterers while Krystal was with her sister Yoona. They can testify for us if needed" 

"Do you know someone who has a possible reason to kill your grandmother?" 

"None that I know of" 

"Would you mind if we go around to question your relatives, guests. workers? We're securing to rule out the foul play" 

"Sure, we can we bury her?" 

"After the autopsy, we'll contact you again" Taeyeon flipped the cover of her small notebook and excused themselves. 

"I thought our wedding would be happy" Krystal started to cry beside Amber not expecting the sudden twist of what was to be a happy occasion. 

"Don't cry Krystal, we'll find out who did this" Amber who was still maintaining her unmoved emotions wrapped her arms around her wife's shoulders, a little bit tighter.