Chapter 3

Piano

Days passed quickly and Sungyeol found himself cooped up in the music room with Myungsoo as much as he could. Before school, during breaks, and after school. Sungjong got curious as to what the former did in the seemingly haunted room, deciding to confront him during one of their breaks.

‘ Sungyeollie hyung! What have you been doing lately, not hanging out with us? I miss you~ ‘ Sungjong jumped onto Sungyeol who was already tired from all the piano playing at home and in school. Myungsoo may seem like a harmless kid, but he’s a demon when it comes to piano playing. He makes people go mad not only with his looks, but with his insatiable need for perfection, which was, bycoincidence driving Sungyeol mad.

‘ Oh, I was just, you know, thinking to myself. ‘ Sungyeol blabbered, thinking of ways to hide the fact that he was talking with Myungsoo, a … ghost.

‘ So why don’t you join us for lunch today? I mean, we’ve been meaning to have you introduced to our clique. With Sunggyu hyung, Dongwoo and Woohyun. ‘ Howon suggested as Sungyeol frowned. He kind of wanted to make more friends, but that meant leaving Myungsoo alone, which he couldn’t bear to.

‘ Come on, hyung. You can miss going to that haunted room for one day! All you do there is stone, right? ‘ Sungjong cajoled, pouting and blinking up at Sungyeol. Of course, Sungyeol the choding couldn’t resist Sungjong’s innocent eyes. ‘ Yeah Yeah. ‘ One lunch period wouldn’t hurt right? Anyway he would be meeting Myungsoo at night, and he could explain then. Not resisting Sungjong’s tug anymore, Sungyeol allowed himself to be pulled along with a weak grin on his face. Myungsoo wouldn’t mind… would he?

‘ Howon! ‘ Dongwoo squealed as his boyfriend came in through the door, grinning widely as both hugged each other lightly. There sat Sunggyu and Woohyun, obviously a couple too. Both were chatting animatedly until Sungyeol came into the conversation awkwardly.

‘ This is Sungyeol. He’s the new member of the photography club, but I haven’t had the chance to introduce you to him. He’s a really nice guy. ‘ Howon explained, looking at the members’ baffled faces.

‘ Then welcome! ‘ WooHyun put Sungyeol into a headlock, glad that their clique had grown with the addition of one person. ‘ I’m Namstar, and he’s Sunggyu. ‘

‘ Don’t care about him, he’s too conceited. He’s Nam Woohyun. ‘ Sunggyu smiled widely, as he passed snacks over to Sungyeol. This bunch of guys were really nice, Sungyeol thought. If only Myungsoo was here… But his life should not only consist of Myungsoo. It should include other friends. So… it wasn’t anything wrong, right?

‘…Yeah, and he’s so dumb! Like seriously, who the hell starts singing during the Physics examination? ‘ Howon mocked Woohyun as he flushed a bright red. ‘ It was involuntary… ’

Sungyeol laughed along with the guys. They were really fun and goofy to be with, but Sungyeol couldn’t help but look at the clock from time to time. He was already two hours late, and he felt kind of guilty already.

‘ Need to leave? Go on. ‘ Sunggyu smiled at Sungyeol who was being jittery. It was obvious that Sungyeol needed to leave, but didn’t know how to put it in words. He was right. Images of Myungsoo looking at the door hopelessly flashed through Sungyeol’s mind. Glancing gratefully at Sunggyu, Sungyeol started running towards the room with all his might, one thought repeating itself in his mind.

‘ I hope I’m not too late. ’

~.~

‘ I don’t think… he’s going to come today. Is he… going to ditch me, like what Woohyun did? ‘ Myungsoo thought as he ran his fingers on the slightly dusty piano frame, sighing in desperation as he did so. It wasn’t the first time, so Myungsoo could tell if it was coming or not. Closing his eyes, Myungsoo decided to take a short break and leaned against the piano. Maybe Sungyeol would be the same, and leave right after he got new friends.

‘ MYUNGSOOOOOOOO~ ‘ Sungyeol huffed as he looked up at Myungsoo, looking shocked.

‘ I thought… you wouldn’t be coming today. ‘ Myungsoo slightly pouted, making Sungyeol grin.

‘ I’m really sorry, Myungsoo. ‘ Ruffling the shorter’s hair, Sungyeol gave him a slightly sad smile as Myungsoo stuttered for a moment.

‘ Not that you are obliged to be here, but, well I mean you have your own life and your own friends, and I know that your life doesn’t revolve around me alone, and thanks for coming to tell me in advance that you are not coming anymore- ‘

‘ Wait. I’m confused. ‘ Sungyeol was kind of flabbergasted. What did Myungsoo mean? ‘ I never said I was going to stop coming. ‘

‘ You—you are still going to come? ‘ It was Myungsoo’s turn to be confused.

‘ Of course! When Lee Sungyeol vows to do something, he will do it and not give up halfway… although this piano piece is really tough. ‘ Sungyeol pouted at Myungsoo, with the latter resisting the urge to pinch Sungyeol’s cheeks.’

‘ Then let’s take a break today. ‘ Myungsoo smiled at Sungyeol, glad that he was still going to come. Maybe it was selfish for him to want the childish boy all to himself, but just this once