Chapter 1

Piano

Being a new student was hard. Especially since everyone had their own little cliques that you couldn’t join at all. It was difficult for newbie Sungyeol to fit in, and he didn’t try to. It was by fate that he chanced upon the old classroom, the music room that no one ever used.

‘ They say the room is haunted. Don’t ever go into it. Even I don’t dare to. ‘ Howon, the president of the photography club warned as they walked past the mysterious door. The door stood out to Sungyeol. It had an elaborate frame, and cold hard brailings that were rooted tightly into the floor. Frowning slightly at Howon’s statement, Sungyeol just nodded absentmindedly.

‘I heard that rumour too. ‘ Sungjong, Howon’s sidekick piped up. ‘ Something about a grand piano playing by itself. So creepy! ‘ Hacking a cough, Sungjong quickly opened the door to the photography room, wanting to get away from the eerie atmosphere. Sungyeol just quickly followed after the younger boy, sparing a last glance at the music room. It seemed to be… calling out for him.

 ‘ Sungyeol! Aren’t you leaving? You should come for dinner with us. Sunggyu hyung is joining us too! ‘ Sungjong invited as Howon nodded. They liked the guy, and wanted to include him in their circle of friends, but Sungyeol declined politely.

‘ It’s alright, Sungjong. I’ll just finish up the paperwork for the contest, and I’m done. You guys can leave first. Have a good time! ‘ Sungyeol waved as the duo left the photography room chatting.

‘ And now I can finally go solve the mystery of the self-playing piano. ‘ Sungyeol braced himself in case of shocks, and held the doorknob of the framed door tightly. ‘ I need to know why I am feeling like this, right? ‘ It wasn’t even a want anymore; it was an acute need, and Sungyeol wondered why he was feeling like this.

‘ Eek!! ‘ Sungyeol screeched loudly at the door which automatically opened by itself, frightened by the loud sound it caused. Peering into the darkness, Sungyeol clutched his necklace tightly, afraid that someone would pounce onto him out of nowhere.

‘ Be quiet. You’re disturbing me. ‘ A childlike voice sounded as Sungyeol jumped in fright. Looking towards the piano, Sungyeol saw a silhouette playing the piano gently and beautifully, just like it was communicating with its lover. The music was soothing, yet it had a mournful tone to it. It was as if the person was…dead.

‘ You’re the first to come in. Take a seat. ‘ The silhouette patted the piano bench as he moved slightly to make space for Sungyeol. Apprehensively, Sungyeol approached the piano, to see a guy about the same age as him smirking up at him. ‘ Are you afraid? ‘

‘ Why..why would I be afraid? ‘ Sungyeol sat down heavily, puffing up his cheeks at the guy. The guy smiled, and Sungyeol was stunned for a moment. That guy’s smile was bright. It brightened up the dark room instantly, making all of Sungyeol’s fear go away. He started to act himself again.

‘ But why are you, a student, here at such a late hour? Don’t you know that this place is haunted? ‘

‘ Haunted? ‘ Myungsoo thought as he laughed slightly. Did this pabo actually think that he was human?

‘ Lee Sungyeol. ‘ Myungsoo pronounce carefully.

‘ Oh my, you are such a stalker. How the hell did you get to know my name? Did you stalk me on my twitter or facebook or ‘

‘ You are the newbie in school, in the photography club, and was in charge of concluding the report before you entered this room. ‘ Myungsoo was confident, and did not have hesitation at saying all this information. Sungyeol, utterly shocked just pointed his slender finger at Myungsoo accusingly, wordlessly making gestures at Myungsoo.

‘ You are not a human. ‘ It was a statement, not a question.

‘ Well, I never said I was. ‘

‘ But you could have told me! ‘ Sungyeol exploded as both sat in silence, surveying each other as Sungyeol finally registered the fact in his mind.

‘ So since you know my name, I’m obliged to know yours too. ‘

‘ Kim Myungsoo. Or L, as they used to call me. The prodigy. ‘ Myungsoo mocked as he looked down onto the floor. It was involuntary—Sungyeol put out his hand to comfort Myungsoo, but his hand just went through Myungsoo’s back. ‘ I—I can’t touch you? ‘

‘ I don’t think anyone can. ‘ Myungsoo said wistfully. ‘ Will you come back? Tomorrow? ‘

Sungyeol’s smile faltered as Myungsoo sighed. ‘ I understand. Leave. ‘

‘ Dude! I didn’t even say anything yet! Of course I’ll come back! Just make sure you’ll be here waiting for me! ‘ Sungyeol smiled brightly at the melancholic guy as he walked out of the room with a wave.

Boy, did he have much research to do tonight.