part 1

A Wicked In The Midnight

"Tell me a story. A scary one." Taeyeon said. She rested her elbow on the table, her chin in her palm, idly flipping the page of her history book.

Joy looked up from the book she was reading, narrowing her eyes at the older girl. "I thought you didn't like scary stories." She replied before getting rid of her own book and stared across the table at her cousin. Her lips formed a grin.

"Honestly..." Taeyeon paused and pursed her lips as she gazed outside the window. A huge house rested silent in the gloom, just across the house Taeyeon and her family had been living for years. "I overheard my parents talking about a family who once lived there." Taeyeon continued, pointing at the house with her head.

"I saw how my parents talked about the house ...they looked...scared. I've never seen them like that before. My mom even said something about going far away from this town." She stopped for a moment, locking her eyes with her cousin's.

"Perhaps you know something creepy about that house, since you're so into horror stuffs."

As far as Taeyeon knew, there were nobody in her age who knew anything about the strange house but Joy was the exception. She was interested in any kind of spooky thing.

Joy bit her lower lip. A long pause before she finally parted her lips to say something. "Well, twenty years ago, one family along with the servants who lived inside that house suddenly went missing without a trace and a month later their bodies were found laying in front of the house. A few people who knew about this keep their mouth shut since it would ruin this town's reputation."

Taeyeon gaped open. A sudden shiver crossed her body.

"You're just joking right?" She gulped.

Joy shot her cousin a look.

"Why would I joke about something like that?" 

"Okay, where did you know about that anyway?" Taeyeon demanded.

Joy shrugged, her dark eyes flashed. "My mom."

A moment of silence between them. 

"I know there's something wrong with that house. It gives me chills everytime I stare at it." Taeyeon declared as she stood up from her seat. She walked towards the window and slid the curtains closed. The dark image of the house was more frightening at night and she didn't want to look at it any longer.

"Hey, maybe we could...you know, sneak inside that house and find something interesting." Joy suddenly said, her face broke into a wide grin. Evil grin.

"Excuse me?" Taeyeon cried shrilly.

 

Taeyeon was about to reply but stopped herself as Park Chanyeol and Taeyeon's parents sauntered inside.

"Yo, sis. Time to go home." Chanyeol exclaimed. He patted Joy's head and slung her backpack over his shoulder.

"You came early." Joy commented, glancing at her wristwatch.

"I didn't get to see Luhan. He gave me a call and told me he wants to spend his time alone in a cafe...reading a book." Chanyeol explained. He brushed his silky black hair and took his sisters books on the table.

Taeyeon chuckled. "He never changes." She commented and let out a soft laugh but then stopped when she noticed her father peering through the window, his eyes anxious. Her mother pulled him away from the window and gripped his arm tightly with the most frightened stare Taeyeon had ever seen in her entire life. Joy noticed this too, millions of thoughts going through her mind.

 

"Honey...Luhan." her mother said to her father, gripping her father's arms even tighter.

"He'll be fine...honey, he'll be fine." Her father assured her and embraced her softly, leaving Taeyeon in wonder. They acted really strange and her mother was worried about her brother who was staying late outside when it wasn't the first time he did that. Luhan had always spending his time outside the house for so many hours and he would be home late at night.

"Uncle, we're going home now." Chanyeol's voice snapped them out of their trance and they quickly turned their heads towards the siblings who were already stood in the diningroom doorway.

Taeyeon followed the siblings to the front door and grabbed Joy by the arm as she whispered "something's not right about my parents. Meet me here tomorrow, we have so many things to discuss," into her ear.

Joy slowly nodded and walked out of the house with her brother.

 

 

 

Chanyeol glanced at Joy every so often as he drove his black SUV, sensing something wasn't right about his sister. The cheerful girl who always so noisy didn't utter anything since they got inside the car and it was kinda strange seeing her in a state like this. She was just looking out the window of her brother's car, touching the glass with the tip of her finger.

"Joy, you have something to tell me?" Chanyeol asked but only earned a shrug from the latter.

She pressed her face against the car window, watching the night scenery pass by. The pale moon shone dimly in the starless night sky, casting eerie radiance over the bare trees and the road was dark, empty. 

 

"What a scary night..." she mumbled.

 

 

 

The bell over the door chimed, drifted through the cafe, indicating that a new customer had come. Luhan glanced up from his phone and saw the back of a girl, her long brown hair gleamed from the overhead light of the ceiling. She was wearing a white little skirt and a white oversized sweater, a huge brown book tucked beneath her arm.

Luhan creased his eyebrow. Seeing a girl walking into a cafe alone in the middle of the night was really odd. Then she spun around, so gracefully, before walking towards a table in front of Luhan's with her head low. He couldn't see her face for it was hidden behind a mop of hair and one thing that came from Luhan's mind was she looked really strange and... creepy.

Twenty minutes after midnight, Luhan felt the drowsiness was seeping in, he could sleep in this 24-hour cafe at that very moment, at that very comfortable seat. But, that was impossible.

He had promised his parents to come home early.

Therefore, he quickly arranged his books into his backpack and hurriedly left. The image of the strange girl burning her face in her huge brown book could be seen through the glass window as he walked past the cafe.

 

The night air was cold and heavy. Luhan zipped his coat up and saw the trees shivered in the strong wind as he strolled through the now empty and quiet neighborhood. It was strange but he felt this night was quite different. Quite frightening.

A cold chill ran down his back. It was not his first time walking around so late in this neighborhood he had lived in his entire life but this time he felt terrified just being alone in this place.

A raindrop fell on his forehead then another on his nose.

"Oh, great." He murmured and ran fastly.

The rain began to fall heavier when he finally spotted the house on the corner, his house.

Something was strange though. His house appeared to be so dark and strange weeds surrounded its terrace. Then he looked around, all the houses in the neighborhood stood in total darkness, just like his house.

"What's going on..." he said, utterly confused.

He was stepping through the house gate when suddenly everything turned black. He couldn't see a thing. A sudden panic swept through him.

"No...no... this isn't real. I must be dreaming. This is a dream!" He cried. He closed his eyes so tightly and snapped them open in a few seconds but much to his horror, he found himself in the woods, somewhere that he knew was far from the town.

Soon, the rain slapped against his face and his whole body was soaking wet. "This is a dream...this is a dream..." he repeated over and over, his lips quivering.

Then he felt something warm touching the back of his neck.

Spinning around, he saw a strange figure standing tall before him. The figure wore something like a black cape draped over that tall body and his face hung low that Luhan barely saw his face.

Luhan nervously took a step back, his gaze fixed on that hidden face of the strange figure.

"What- what do you want?" He choked out, taking another step back. His body shivered. From the cold rain as well as from fear.

It took a minute or two until he heard the strange figure let out a quiet groan. A man, definately a man, Luhan thought.

"What do I want?...." The figure spoke out as he slowly raised his face.

"I want your soul." He said and Luhan stumbled to the ground, his breath caught in his throat, his eyes wide with growing fear.

That man had no face. Faceless.

No eyes. No nose, only has a mouth.

The youngster let out a shriek at the top of his lungs.

He squirmed on the ground, trying to get up as the faceless man began to step toward him. Luhan struggled to his feet and threw his backpack against that frightening creature before running away.

His sneakers thudding hard against the ground and he could hear another footsteps close behind him.

The creature was chasing him and he raced through the woods in utter terror. Now he was sure that it wasn't just a dream. It was real. It was freaking real.

"Your soul...your soul..." the faceless man said, his voice deep, raspy, terrifying.

 

 

 

"Oppa, watch out!" Joy shouted.

The car hit something hard and skidded on the wet surface of the road.

"You okay?" Chanyeol asked his sister who was covering her face with her palms. He reached to touch her hands. She slowly removing her palms from her face and held his brother's arms tightly. "I'm fine. But what was that?"

"I don't know. I'll check on it." Chanyeol responded before getting off the car.

A blast of cold air hit his body as soon as he was outside. The road was covered with a damp and icy grey mist that he couldn't see anything ahead of him. Far in the distance, he heard a dog barking.

Then he heard a rattling, like a rattling bones. Close to him.

Chanyeol gulped hard and slowly stepped to the front of the car. 

"D-did you hit a person?" Joy asked from inside the car. Chanyeol didn't answer. He hoped it wasn't a person.

Uncontrollable panic surged through him as he found a pool of blood in front of his car.

Another rattling. It came from beneath the car.

Hesitantly, he bent over to peek under the car. What he saw next made his whole body shook in fear. His eyes bulged out as he spotted a human head. Blood poured from the eye, down the cheek, and its eyes, staring back at him.

 

Joy suddenly heard a quiet noise, close behind her. A cold chill froze the back of her neck and a stab of fear went down her spine.

She wasn't alone inside the car. She knew it. She could feel it.

"Oppa..." she uttered a frightened whisper, her heartbeat raced, thinking of running off the car as fast as she could but strangely her body became stiff and it seemed so hard to move her legs.

"Oppa..." she whispered again, tears slowly trickling down her now pale face.

Slowly, fearfully, she turned around her head with her eyes shut and the moment she opened them, all she could see was just the backseat of her brother's car. No one was there.

But the horror was not yet over as she heard another noise came from beside her. She turned her head to her side.

A headless body sat behind the steering wheel. Just beside her.

 

Chanyeol quickly rose to his feet when he heard his sister screaming from inside the car.

"Joy!"

 

 

 

The rain had stopped when Luhan felt that the man was no longer chasing him. It was only his thudding footsteps on the ground and his heavy breathing that he could hear. As much as he thought that the creature was still around to catch him, he hoped that he, somehow, had escaped from him.

So he stopped running.

He bent over, resting his hands on his knees, panting and catching his breath before he turned his head around and looked at his surroundings. There was no one but him, just the trees that stood in the gloom of the night and a fog surrounding the woods.

A sigh of relief escaped from his mouth. A long sigh followed when he felt a sudden raindrop on his cheek. Only it wasn't a raindrop. It didn't feel like a raindrop.

Another drop on his cheek.

He wiped it off with his fingers and found it was sticky and smelled terrible.

Nervously, he gazed up at the tree above him.

The faceless man was sitting on the bare tree, his terrifying face gleaming in the moonlight.

It made Luhan shivered from head to toe, unable to breath. Unable to move.

He shut his eyes and waited for a tremendous pain.

He thought it would be the end of him until he felt a strong hand grabbed his wrist and pulled him away, dragging him in fast motion.

 

 

 

"Mom, dad..." Taeyeon said, walking into her parent's bedroom.

Her mother was crying for some reasons and her father gave her a faint smile. He got up from the bed and stepped to the doorway. "Follow me." He ordered.

Taeyeon nodded and looked at her mother once more before walking out of the room.

"There is a story that you need to know about a few people who lived there many years ago." Her father spoke in a quiet tone when he stood behind the window, his left hand holding the curtains aside, his eyes gazed at the house across the street.

Taeyeon stared at him in wonder and stood beside him, her eyes following his gaze.

"Many years ago, long before you were were born, I used to visit that house since the owner of the house was my good friend. One day, when the snow covered the town, I entered that house with your mother. She was my fiancee back then. I came to introduce her to my friend and his wife."

Her father sat down on the sofa and started fidgeting with his fingers.

"We came at the wrong time. My friend gave me a call saying he was still at work. We saw no one inside that house, and when your mother walked past a room, she heard something strange from the inside. So she took a peek and what she saw next made her so terrified."

"What did she see?" Taeyeon eagerly asked, sitting down beside her father.

"My friend's wife seemed to have an inhuman power. Something supernatural. All the things inside the room were floating in the air when she raised her finger. Your mother also heard she saying something about summoning spirits."

Taeyeon widened her eyes.

"Then...what happened?"

"Your mother was very terrified and she told everything that she saw that day to her sister, Chanyeol's mother. Both of them then told a few people in the neighborhood. They were outraged. Then one night, they did something unforgivable to my friend's family. They dragged them out and took them away far from the town. They brought them to the woods and started torturing them, my friend and his wife along with the servants." Her father replied and buried his face in his hands. Taeyeon's entire body began to quiver.

"M-mom d-did that?" She stammered and covered with one hand.

"They left them for days without foods. Nothing. Months later they brutally murdered them and left their bodies in front of the house.There were seven people. The married couple, three servants, a babysitter and the driver. One of the servant was left in front of the house with his face ravaged, he had no face. The other servant was left headless while the last servant had his eyeballs pulled out. The driver was left with no hands and the babysitter was found with no legs." Her father bursted in tears.

"Before they died, my friend's wife said that in twenty years, at her birthday, they would comeback to haunt all the people who did this to them. They would haunt this town for the next 10 days, starting from the midnight... It's starting tonight. Therefore I'm asking you to stay home before midnight."

 

 

 

Luhan found himself being dragged through the woods by this strange girl in white. They ran very fast, not even once taking a glance behind them. Their breathing hard and once in a while they would trip over the tree roots but that didn't stop them from running from whoever chasing them.

"Who are you? And what's that thing?" Luhan asked as soon as they stopped for a moment to catch their breath. 

The girl shook her head, "I don't know. I just walked out of a cafe when suddenly everything went black. I fainted then I woke up here." She said breathlessly before sitting down on a giant tree root.

Luhan nodded and warily looked around his surroundings. "Thanks, anyway. You just saved my life."

He gave her a small smile and took a seat beside her. It was when he realized that his life savior was the strange and creepy girl he had seen in the cafe earlier that night.

He could clearly see her face now. She's quite pretty, he thought. Her eyes glowed, glistening in the shimmering, pale face of hers and her hair, long brown hair falling neatly over her chest.

"You haven't told me your name." Luhan uttered. The girl turned to him, a weak smile on her lips.

"It's Seohyun."

"I'm Luhan." He quickly replied. Silence now. The two of them sat still, hugging their bodies as a cold wind rushed over them.

 

 

 

Taeyeon scrunched up her face. "Wait, you said there was a babysitter. That means the married couple had a child."

Her father looked at her and gave her a small nod.

"They had a daughter. She was just three months old when that terrible thing happened to her family."

"Where is she now?" She asked quietly, not taking her eyes off of her father.

"I don't know. She disappeared when her parents died. No one knows if she's still alive or she's already dead." Her father replied softly.

"If she's still alive. There are chances that she has a supernatural power, just like her mother..." Taeyeon said, rubbing her chin, thinking hard. Then her expression changed, cold and fearful. "If she's still alive, she has so many reasons to take revenge on people who did terrible things to her family...she has so many reasons to take revenge on our family."

 

 

 

"You know what?" Seohyun said, standing up to her feet.

"Hm, what?" Luhan replied with a smile, brushing his pants before getting up.

"I know how to get out of this place. I know how to get back to the town." Seohyun answered, faking a smile.

A bright smile escaped from Luhan's lips, "Woah that's cool! I'm so glad to meet you! You really are my life saviour!" He exclaimed.

"You just need to follow me." Seohyun told him and spun around. A wicked smile spread across her face.

 

 

 

________________________________________________________________________