Preparation

A Slip of the Tongue

She had five hours.  Five hours to look smoking hot.  Five hours to make herself look so damn

good that Tiffany would forget about boys for a while.  Oh god.

 

Taeyeon was never one to spend too much time on her appearance, beyond making sure that she had something resembling human eyebrows every day.  Yet here she stood, in front of her closet, trying to figure out what to wear to a night club.  She'd never even been to a club before.  She understood how to dress up in theory, but in practice, it was something else.  A skirt and heels would be appropriate, right?  Ugh, but that always felt so awkward.  What if she flashed someone?  Or fell over?  What if she fell over and flashed Tiffany?  Horrifying.

 

So she did what any self-respecting lesbian would do in a time of fashion-crisis.  She picked up her phone and called her straight, eternally, impeccably well-dressed friend.

 

Sooyoung answered on the first ring.  "Hey, Taeyeon!  Tiffany said you're finally coming out with us!  Are you sick or something?  Do you need to go to the doctor?"

 

"Very cute.  I need your help."  Taeyeon was knee-deep in shoes.  Why did she have so many sneakers?  When did she even buy that pair of glittery high-tops?

 

Sooyoung's tone was all business.  "What's up?"

 

"I don't know what to wear.  I've never done this before."  Taeyeon held up a shirt from her high school days.  It was black and emblazoned with bright pink letters reading "Cunning Linguist."  Jesus.  She made a mental note to trash half her clothes.

 

"Okay, so what kind of look are you going for?  Give me something to work with."

 

"I don't know!  I just want to look hot!"

 

Sooyoung laughed.  "You want to look hot.  That's funny, you never want to look hot for me and Sunny."  She gasped in mock surprise.  "Oh!  Could it be that you want to look hot for Ti—"

 

"Finish that sentence and you're dead, Choi.  You helped me buy almost everything I own.  Tell me what to wear.  Please," she added as an attempt at politeness.

 

"Okay, okay.  Let me think.  You want to look hot, y; you want to impress, clearly."  Taeyeon could hear Sooyoung's nails clicking against a hard surface over the phone.  "You still have those y heels?  You know, the ones with the four-inch stilettos that still don't make you as tall as me?  Wear those."

 

Taeyeon knew the exact pair she was talking about.  Truthfully, they were some of her favorite shoes.  She just felt weird wearing them around in everyday life, so they collected dust in her closet.  "Okay, I'll wear the y heels and try not to break my ankle.  What else?"

 

"You're gonna want something that will show off those legs of yours.  I mean, what leg you have, at least.  We can't all be vertically gifted.  You have any skirts?"

 

"A couple.  I've got this black one I like a lot."

 

"How short is it?"

 

"Um… mid-thigh?"

 

"Good.  Excellent.  Wear that.  And then wear some safety shorts under it, just in case.  Now… tops.  Hmm.  Oh, wait!  Do you remember that tanktop you bought last summer?  The one that laces up on the sides?"

 

Oh, yes.  The black and red one that showed off a couple inches of stomach.  Yes, she definitely still had that one.

 

Sooyoung didn't wait for the affirmative.  "Wear that.  With a push-up bra.   Damn, girl, you're gonna look good.  Don't forget accessories.  I'll leave that to you."

 

"I'm going to be so self-conscious."

 

"Shut up, you're gonna be hot.  Tiffany won't be able to take her eyes off you.  See you at 10."  And then she hung up before Taeyeon could insist that Tiffany was not going to look at her like that, don't be ridiculous.

 

Taeyeon got dressed and practiced walking in her heels for a bit.  Like riding a bike.  She totally had this.  Wobbling over to her dresser, she pulled out two silver cuff bracelets and some earrings.  Yes, she would definitely have all her piercings occupied today.

 

As for makeup… eyeliner.  Eyeliner was always good.  Of course, there were other things, like mascara and lipstick, but Taeyeon really loved eyeliner.

 

After spending entirely too long on her makeup (smudging it, removing it, reapplying) and hair, Taeyeon gave herself a once-over in her full-length mirror.  She had to admit, she looked pretty good.  Nothing like her usual self, which was a plus as far as she was concerned.  It had to be close to 10 by now.  She checked her phone.  It was 6:30.

 

She spent the next three and a half hours watching cartoons in her club-wear, trying desperately to squash the butterflies in her stomach.