Dare

A Slip of the Tongue

Okay, so maybe Taeyeon was a little tipsy.  But it was making this experience less dreadful, so whatever.  She allowed her upper torso to sway along to the bass line echoing in her cranium, trying not to think about the damage she was surely doing to her poor cochlear hair cells.  Blatantly staring at Tiffany, who had her eyes closed, hands raised like she was having some kind of religious experience, dancing her heart out, Taeyeon bit her lip.  She looked good.  She looked so damn good, in those tight jeans that hugged her just right, that gorgeous smile that never seemed to leave her face, having the time of her life.  Was this lust, or love, or what?  .  Taeyeon didn’t know.  She only knew that she wanted to be with Tiffany, in any way she could.  Friends, lovers, anything.  She needed her like a junkie needed his next hit.  It wasn’t rational or logical… it just was.

The songs began to run into each other, one generic EDM song into another, a neverending loop of “OONCE OONCE OONCE.”  It was bland, and Taeyeon would never listen to it on her own (sober), but she would be damned if she wasn’t feeling some kind of excitement.  Maybe she was getting caught up in everyone around her.  Maybe it was the booze.  Maybe, god forbid, she was just having fun.

It was now or never.  The distance between her and Tiffany seemed to decrease on its own accord, and Tiffany’s surprised smile only spurred her on.  She took a deep breath, held it, and gingerly placed her hand on Tiffany’s waist.  Tiffany didn’t miss a beat, her body still one with the music, and Taeyeon could feel sinuous muscles flexing and relaxing under her hand.  Taeyeon’s head felt like a helium-filled balloon.  Surely Tiffany had to be buzzed by now, Taeyeon thought.  Those Long Islands were strong stuff.  Maybe something could happen.  Did she dare?