Third Wheel

M.U (Mutual or Mis-)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
   CHAPTER 5 

     Third wheel.

     The couple's "+1"

     The extra.

     I am used to hold that title for I have sometimes been that person. Unfortunately, I really get dragged along on some friends' dates whether I like it or not. They have these illusions that I’m feeling lonely even if they see me cracking up on a running man episode or being giddy by Kang Dong Won’s drama.

     To me I’m not feeling lonely or sad, I’m single because I chose to be single. I just don’t know why these girls think I’m just being pretentious and say “You’re just trying to cover your loneliness”

    No no no. It’s not like that. I just really want to focus on my career, that’s all.     

     Honestly, I don’t mind being dragged on their dates for I get free rides, movies and snacks anyway, however I’m curious how their boyfriends think of me.

     They probably see me as the er or the killjoy chaperone that restricts them on doing whatever they plan. In my defense if they want to make out then go ahead, they don’t need to be bothered by me or better they can just speak up and say no. I’m actually waiting for someone to have the balls and tell me I can’t come, but they’re just too kind to say anything and just say "It’s okay! It'll be more fun if you join us" instead.

     Pfff! More Fun? With me? As If! The only thing I do during their dates is stay quiet on the side, pretend like I’m invisible and get my mind be absorbed with articles i want to write.

     I apparently have this mental computer inside my brain; it’s where all my writing skills and magic happens. I type in and in store all the ideas and paragraph blocks that I come up with and then save it in a mental drive so later when we get home I can start typing away.

     Honestly being a third wheel is an awkward situation but this date i am sitting on right now is by far the most awkward and quiet date I’ve been to. And I didn’t even come here as an extra, I’m here welcomed and invited and yet it’s so uncomfortable.

      My eyes keep bouncing back and forth to Donghae and Victoria as they’re seated across one another. I on the other hand is sitting on the other side of the table, between them, so it’ll be easy to relay the messages.

      It’s been 15 minutes since we got here but so far their only interaction is the exchange of beautiful stares and smiles.

      I know I’m hired to break this language barrier down and connect them, but how can I do my job when they’re not even talking? Like come on say something! Anything! I’ll translate it so we can move on and enter a new topic and start this day rolling.

      "Do you guys need anything else?" The young female server asked after placing all our orders on the table.

      "No. We got everything we need. Thanks" I said kindly and looked down my plate.

      In all honesty, I expected that I would be eating some fancy dish today, I have prepared my cellphone to take a picture of a rib eye steak or huge platter of salmon but instead I see a huge hamburger value meal before me.

     Donghae has decided to bring us to a fast-food chain in Gangnam. Yes it’s an unusual set up for a date especially when I know he has all the money in the world, but according to him, we didn’t go to a usual expensive place rich people would go to because he thinks going to formal and posh places would make things feel more awkward between them.

      It actually made sense because somehow we find ourselves comfortable and casual right now. It felt like they’re just two ordinary people without any VIP titles – all the business relation or matters were all thrown out the window.

      I took a piece of French fries and dipped it on the bowl of ketchup before shooting it straight to my mouth. "So...” I chewed. “Anything you want to ask each other?"

    The question is addressed to both of them so I said it in 2 languages.

    “Uhm” they both hummed taking time on coming up of something.

    “Come on, don’t be shy~ Just ask anything” I added. But this time I’m clearly saying it more to Donghae for isn’t he the one who wanted this date? He’s the guy, he should be the first one to talk. It's not like he's in the office where everyone greets or initiates a conversation with him first.

      I made an eye contact with him and made strong faces, encouraging him to speak up. But the bastard just broke his glance easily and ignored me. Tsk. I’m helping you, you know! I rolled my eyes.

      What’s so hard about it anyway? He’s a handsome young man and he looks like he has flirted with gazillion other girls before, why is he then so tight lipped right now?

       Victoria was the first one to speak up and laughed nervously. “I’m sorry, I just find his invitation sudden, I hadn’t prepared of anything to ask him”

      “Did I ask you too soon?” Donghae asked after I translated it.

      “No! No! It’s okay” she said waving her hands. “I’m actually glad that I get to meet and hang out with more people, it makes my visit more fun. But don’t you have work today?”

      “I do, but I can go back there later, I just really want to invite you on a brunch date”

      Victoria smiled, touched that he actually has squeezed some of his busy time just to meet her. “By the way, the letter you wrote, it’s very sweet”

    “Do you like it?”

    “Yes. It’s very romantic” she says with a light giggle.

    I guess Donghae was right about letters, she was very much swoon by it – she even showed it to me and I had to pretend I didn’t know and it’s my first time to see it.

    Apparently, a part of my deal with Donghae is that we should keep our agreement a secret from Victoria. As much as possible we wouldn’t want her to know I’d be personally helping him around with her so it wouldn’t look like we played her or everything’s just a set up or his feelings are untrue.

    His actions are very sincere, he likes her. He just really need some support.

     It is my first time see the final letter though, and compare to his first attempt on rewriting it, his handwriting has improved and became neater. Wonder how many times he had practice for it.

     “How did you learn to write this? Google?” Victoria brought up.

     “Uhm… I asked a friend to translate it for me”

     “Well thell your friend his Chinese is perfect”

      Tuh! Of course it’s perfect! I am really proud of my skills to be honest, I have not used Chinese for the past year, but to know how I’m still I’m fluent at it? It’s an achievement.

      “I’m glad you liked it” Donghae says taking his first bite on his burger.

      Victoria also started eating her meal, she held on the burger with both hands, and took a huge giant bite – contradicting to that very feminine look she’s wearing today. Either way it’s a relief that the two started conversing casually.

     I joined them and only took small bites so in case they talk, I wouldn’t have to struggle speaking with my  mouth full.

     "I didn’t know you’d have interests towards me though” Victoria brought up. Originally her voice is a little high pitched but with food in it changed to a deep one. “When I entered the elevator you looked like you’re in awful mood, you were glaring at me”

      Donghae smiled apologetically and looked down. “I’m sorry for that. I was really in a foul mood that time I don’t want to ride with anyone”

    “You must think I’m stupid who don’t understand you and just says the most random English words”

    “I actually found you cute” he says. “It’s not every day I see a sweet girl who would offer me candy”

     “It charmed you then?”

     “Very much”

    “Just so you know I don’t do that with other guys”

    “Oh, I guess I must be special then?”

    “Maybe”

     I can feel some flirting going on. Their smiles are insanely huge it reaches to their ears. If only they speak the same languages it would’ve been way cheesier but instead they hear my voice talking in between their lines – making it less romantic, especially when, even I, start to hear some bitterness getting mixed on my voice.

    “I still wonder what you told me in the elevator though. The really long sentence” she said. “You looked like you were saying something expressive”

    My head turned to Donghae and watched as his expression seem to have changed while I relayed the message to him, he still looked calm and tough but his smile have lessened a bit.

    “Ahh that’s nothing. Just forget that” he says.

    “Eh~~~ come on. Tell me. I’m curious~~”

    “Ani. It’s just a silly remark, don’t think about it” he smiled uneasily and takes another bite. “Let’s just talk about something else like how do you like Korea so far”

    Victoria pouted for a brief moment, it appears she was expecting he would tell her but Donghae obviously doesn’t want to discuss it and moved on to another topic. She answered it either way; she tells him about how people turn their heads to her, how she’s been approached by a lot of agents and some random guys she passes by in the streets.

    “It comes to no shock though,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter