Chapter 6

Catch Me I'm Falling For You

           “Happy birthday.”

            Jongdae looked up from the book that he is reading to see Junmyeon’s smiling face. This was like the time right before he had his toothache dilemma three days ago. He was in their porch, just minding his own quiet world when Junmyeon showed up. But in this case, Jongdae accepted Junmyeon’s invasion of his quiet life.

            Jongdae looked at the small box that Junmeyeon carries. “My birthday is next year.”

            “I wasn’t talking about you. I meant your tooth that had just a cavity fill.” Junmyeon raised the box. “Happy birthday to it.”

            “You know, Junmyeon, good thing you’re with me. If not, no one will appreciate your corny jokes.”

            Junmyeon grinned and scratched the back of his head. “Really? Good thing I’m handsome.”

            Jongdae didn’t bother to say anything sarcastic. Junmyeon had been good to him the past few days. Because he was the one who brought Jongdae to the dentist and took care of him. Because his brothers didn’t bother to come near him while he was sick. But Jongdae can’t blame them. It was always been Jongdae’s problem when he was not feeling good. The world is his enemy so his brothers just leave him alone until he gets well. Or, Jongdae will be the one who will approach his brothers to ask for help. But he doesn’t need to approach his hyungs because Junmyeon is always by his side. And Jongdae was grateful for that.

            What is there not to be grateful? Junmyeon took care of him and Jongdae didn’t expect to fall in love with him. And even if he’s not sick anymore, Junmyeon is still by his side.

            “I can’t eat anything sweet. Dentist’s orders.”

            “The dentist said don’t forget to brush your teeth every time you eat something sweet. He didn’t say don’t eat anything sweet.” Junmyeon took out a plastic fork and paper plate. “You’re not listening to the dentist. You are busy looking at my face.”

            Jongdae picked up a paper plate in panic. “Excuse me. I wasn’t looking at you. I was looking at the skull model behind you. And so what if I’m looking at you? Is that a bad thing?”

            “No. I’m just glad.” Junmyeon placed a slice of cake at Jongdae’s plate. “When we first met, I thought you don’t care at anyone besides yourself. I just realized that you’re starting to notice the people around you.”

            “What, do you think I’m crazy? Having my own world?”

            “Nah. I just thought you’re a bit of a snob, that’s all. Turns out that I was wrong.”

            “I’m… a snob? Is that why most of the guests in the clubhouse looks like they’re angry at me?”

            “I said, not anymore, right? Besides, those people, I’m pretty sure they are just envious of you.”

            “Envious?”

            “Because you’re always with me.”

            “Really?” Junmyeon was probably right, though. Because Jongdae will get envious at the women that is with Junmyeon. But Jongdae doesn’t have to worry about that. Junmyeon was at Jongdae’s side now. And he loved every second of it.

            “Junmyeon.”

            “Hmm?”

            “Thank you.”

            “For what?”

            “For everything.”

            “It’s nothing.”

            “And I’m sorry too. I hurt you while you are helping me.”

            “It’s okay. My body is used to heavy workout. Your slaps and punches didn’t hurt me a bit.”

            “You’re really arrogant, aren’t you?”

            “All I’m saying is that you don’t have to worry about it. I like taking care of you. It makes me feel stronger.”

            “What?”

            Junmyeon leaned against the sofa while eating his cake. “You’re a tough guy, Jongdae. But after seeing you shed tears over a toothache, I thought you’re not really that tough. You need someone who will take care of you. Because you are not strong all of the time.”

            “And I also realized that needing someone sometimes isn’t that bad at all.” Jongdae focused his attention on his cake. “Our mom often told us that we shouldn’t rely on someone if we can do things on our own. And we shouldn’t interfere on someone when we know that he can do things on his own. That’s why you didn’t see my hyungs went near me or comforted me when I was suffering with my toothache. Because they knew that I can perfectly manage myself.”

            “You were raised to be that tough, huh!”

            “No. We were raised to have levelheaded minds. It’s applicable to me because I don’t want anyone interfering with my life. I’ll shout when I need help.”

            “You didn’t shout for help when I came to your side.”

            “It was different with you.”

            “How was I different?”

            Jongdae quickly shoved his fork with cake on his mouth. Why did he say that? Sometimes, he just can’t control his mouth. What levelheaded mind?

            “Jongdae?”     

            “This cake that you brought is really delicious, huh? Where did you buy this?”

            Junmyeon didn’t answer so Jongdae looked at him. He saw Junmyeon looking at him with that smile in his eyes. Jongdae almost screamed at him. Junmyeon should not look at him like that because he’s making his heart beat crazy. Okay, fine. Given the fact that he feels something for Junmyeon. That he loves him. But Jongdae doesn’t have any plans on saying it to Junmyeon. No way. Not now. He wasn’t ready to admit to Junmyeon that he doesn’t just love to have his presence with him all the time. That he loves to have his heart too.

            You’re such a drama king, Jongdae.

            Junmyeon touched a thumb to the side of Jongdae’s lips, just like before he had his toothache. Jongdae turned his face away from Junmyeon. Because he was afraid that Junmyeon might hear his heart beating loudly.

            “You still don’t like me, do you?” Junmyeon asked. “What should I do for you to consider me as a friend, Jongdae?”

            Friend? But he doesn’t want Junmyeon to be his friend!

            Then, what role do you want for Junmyeon to be in your life? Jongdae asked himself. Boyfriend? Lover? Companion? Jongdae doesn’t answer. He can’t answer.

            “We can…” Jongdae cleared his throat. “We can be friends.”

            “Cool. But why aren’t you looking straight at me? It looks like you’re not sincere with your offer.”

            Jongdae forced himself to look at Junmyeon even if he’s going crazy with the way his heart is beating wildly. “I accept you as a friend. Satisfied now?”

            “I think so, yeah. Why are you still single?”

            “What?” Where is this conversation going, really? Jongdae is getting confused.

            “Why are you still single? Your hyungs said that it was five years ago since you had a boyfriend. That was a very long time ago. You’re handsome. So that’s why you should have a boyfriend right now. Or a fiancé.”

            “You talk like you want me to marry some other guy.”

            “Of course not. I’m just wondering.”

            “How about you, why are you still single?”

            “Who told you that?” Something pinched Jongdae’s heart. Junmyeon’s not single anymore? “I have official and unofficial boyfriends and girlfriends. Do you want to know how many of them?”

            “No!” Jongdae ate a huge piece of cake. Boyfriends and Girlfriends? As in plural word with a capital ‘S’? This monkey is such a playboy!

            “Okay. So, why are you still single?”

            “Because I’m lazy to have one.”

            “Is that an acceptable reason?”

            “For me, yes.”

            “You’ve been lazy for a long time, huh.”

            Jongdae put down his paper plate. “Why are you pushing me to have a boyfriend? I said I don’t want one. And I wasn’t able to find a guy that deserves my love. A guy who will not abandon me. A guy who will not see another man besides me. A guy who will value me more than his life. A guy who will take care of me. And a guy who will love me not because he can’t find a boyfriend.”

            “Did your first boyfriend abandoned you?”

            “Yes. Because you guys are like that. You only take a boyfriend or a girlfriend for your own convenience. Just to say that you have someone and you look cool for other people. You always need a trophy by your side, to complete your appearance.”

            “He had hurt you.”

            “No, he didn’t. But he managed to influence my beliefs in love and relationships. And not in a good way.”

            Junmyeon just sighed. “I didn’t expect that there are guys like him that is still existing. I apologize on his behalf, Jongdae.”

            “Did you not hear me? I said he didn’t hurt me. No one could ever hurt me.”

            Junmyeon just smiled. But his smile didn’t reach his eyes. “When I meet that guy, I’ll crush his bones for you.”

            “You don’t need to. I already did that.”

            Jongdae felt relieved somehow. It feels so good that Junmyeon is ready to be a criminal just to protect his pride that has been crushed.

            “I don’t have an official girlfriend or boyfriend now.” Junmyeon said after a while. “Being in a relationship is so demanding. So as much as possible, if I don’t love the woman or the man, I won’t promise them anything. And I don’t want to hurt their feelings either. I’m afraid of karma.”

            Fair enough. At least, Junmyeon’s lovers know what they are engaging into. Jongdae is just happy that Junmyeon doesn’t have anyone right now. He’s free to daydream about him.

            “How about your nonofficial girlfriends and boyfriends?”

            “None. You made sure I wouldn’t get one at the moment.” Junmyeon turned to him and smiled. “I said before that as long as our names are associated with each other, I can’t have someone else beside me. Exo Riding Club members will skin me alive.”

            At first, Jongdae is happy when he hears that. But eventually, it seems like it’s not a nice thing to hear. Because it turns out that he is a nuisance to Junmyeon’s love life.

            “Why are you listening to those people?” Jongdae said irritably. “If you want to have a life, that’s your business. Don’t let them dictate you.”

            “It’s not that they are dictating me. In a way, I want to be like this. My life is quiet. There’s no one demanding for my attention. I miss being alone.”

            “And I was your excuse?”

            “It came in handy.”

            Handy!? This jerk is really hurting my feelings! If Jongdae didn’t love this man, he will throw Junmyeon at the sea.

            “What should I do to stop our names being associated from each other?” Jongdae said. “I don’t want to cause a problem to your love life. You’ve helped me a lot when I got sick.”

            “I’m not asking for anything for my help that I gave you. That’s why it’s called help, because it’s for free. As for my love life, I don’t mind being alone at the moment. It’s better that you are with me right now. It’s fun.”

            “I’m not a clown.”

            “That’s right. But you’re still making me happy.”

            “I’m not saying any jokes either.”

            “You don’t have to joke. I get happy when I see you.”

            “Are you insulting me?”

            “What?”

            “There’s nothing funny with my face!”

            Junmyeon’s eyebrows furrowed. Then he smiled when he got what Jongdae has said. Jongdae’s heart wholeheartedly accepted the beautiful sight in front of him. That’s why his sentiments are gone just like that.

            “I didn’t say your face is funny. I just meant that I’m happy every time I see you. That’s why I’m here at your hyung’s house right now.”

            Jongdae’s annoyance easily boiled down. It doesn’t matter if Junmyeon is just patronizing him or not. What’s important is that he likes this feeling. It’s so much better if he just let his heart feel everything than stopping himself.

            “But if I’m really bothering you, it’s easy to disassociate our names from each other.”

            “Huh?” Wait, I’m not saying that I don’t want us to be linked to each other .I just said–

            “If they have not seen us together for two to three days, that would be okay. They will stop bothering us. And then we both could take on a companion, that would seal everything. We’ll both be free.”

            I said I don’t want that to happen! I really want to punch you, Junmyeon! “It’s up to you.”

            “Jongdae.”

            “What?”

            “Do you still want it?”

            “Want what?”

            “Cake.”

            “No.” Jongdae stood up. “I’ll brush my teeth now. Thank you for the cake.”

            Jongdae went to the kitchen sink to brush his teeth. While he is busy brushing his teeth, he can’t help but think of Junmyeon and his feelings for him. Should he complain that he doesn’t want to end the issue about the two of them that circulates around the Exo Riding Club? If everyone knows that their so-called relationship is not real, Junmyeon will be flocked by women and men. Jongdae had seen it and he hated it. He will go berserk if that happens. Maybe he should tell Junmyeon about it. But what would be his reason? That he was in love with him? Maybe Junmyeon will laugh at him. Jongdae can’t accept that and maybe he will just end up punching Junmyeon.

            Jongdae hated rejection most. In their family, he wasn’t able to feel that. Also with his friends, relatives or even the men that came through his life. He puts all of them in the pedestal. And it’s what he’s used to. Maybe there’s a handful of people who rejected him but it didn’t affect him at all because he doesn’t care. But with Junmyeon, Jongdae knew he couldn’t hurt him badly just with his words. And he doesn’t know how to handle that.

            Junmyeon was right about Jongdae. He was tough but he had a very fragile heart. That’s why he’s really trying his best to avoid getting hurt.

            “Jongdae.”

            Jongdae gasped and he almost choked with the bubbles made by his toothpaste. He rinsed off his mouth then he faced Junmyeon who was following him without his knowledge.

            “What the heck are you trying to do?  You scared me half to death!”

            “Sorry.” Junmyeon leaned on the kitchen counter. “I thought you knew that I’m here.

            “No.” Jongdae wiped his mouth with his hand. “What are you still doing here?”

            “Are you doing something later?”

            “Yes.”

            “What is it?”

            “I’ll think about it first.”

            “Do you want to come with me?”

            Was Junmyeon asking him for a date? “Where?”

            “Everywhere.”

            Jongdae threw an apron to Junmyeon that he snatched from above the refrigerator. Maybe his Heechul hyung left it there. But it was a good thing, because  he had a way to hide the excitement that he is feeling.

            Because Junmyeon seemed like he was asking him out.

            “That would be impossible. Even if we already know each other, and I accepted you as a friend, I will not go with you to your so-called ‘everywhere’.

            Junmyeon grinned at him. Jongdae’s heart gave in.  

            “We’ll ride a horse. I will give you a tour. Your hyungs said you’re still not able to have a tour around the club.”

            “We’ll ride a horse? We will ride your horse?”

            “Well, your hyungs told me you don’t know how to ride a horse.”

            “Well, my hyungs also told me that once a club member let someone ride with him on his horse, he’ll spend the rest of his life with that person.”

            Junmyeon just shrugged. “It’s fine with me.”

 

-----------------------------

Hello everyone! I apologize for updating this fanfic for a long time. Things have been really busy lately. So we're down to the last 4 chapters and i'm preparing for the next fanfic. The pairing will be a surprise ;) Thank you so much for understanding! :)