Misunderstanding

Reach

Baekhyun feels cold all over. He can only fiddle with his fingers, looking down at his lap. He can feel himself almost shaking, his worst fears come to life. He’s a burden. The nicest guy in school told him he was frustrating…

 

I knew this was a bad idea in the beginning…

 

“I mean. I can’t figure you out. Am I the type of person to just ditch you for someone I don’t even know? Especially if you’re not feeling well? Do I look like that type of person to you?” Chanyeol rants, too heated to notice that Baekhyun doesn’t look up at him once. Baekhyun can only reach for the door handle.

 

“I-I’m sorry. I really a-appreciate everything you d-did today. Thank you f-for h-helping me. I’m sorry I burdened y-you.” Baekhyun beats himself up for his trembling voice but he’s also at his limit of human interaction for today. He just needs to be alone and cry because Chanyeol’s misunderstanding his intentions but there’s nothing he can do. Without any other last words, he pulls the door open, gets out and bows to Chanyeol as thanks and speedwalks towards his front door. He doesn’t look back once.


Why the am I so stupid? Why did I say that. Baekhyun’s already fragile enough. I hurt him.. He didn’t cry.. but there’s no doubt that he probably is right now.

 

Chanyeol contemplates just knocking on Baekhyun’s door but decides against it when he thinks he’s done enough damage for today. He can wait til tomorrow to explain himself and apologize for his harsh words. With that, he drives home, too high strung to really think about anything else other than what he would say to his classmate tomorrow.


And neither really got any sleep that night.


 

The next morning, Baekhyun gets up and does his morning routines before dreadfully heading to school.

 

I really don’t wanna see him today. I was content with just looking at him from afar. But yesterday I really got a glimpse of what I want so badly but can never have. It’s cruel…

 

Before he knows it, he arrives at the front gate of the school. In between dodging students rushing to talk with their friends before the first bell rings and getting to his locker, he doesn’t notice when he bumped into someone’s chest, the impact surprising him as he falls to his knees. His flustered self apologizes profusely as he picks him the guy’s fallen books. When he’s got the books in his arms, he stands up only to be met with the guy’s chest. His eyes slowly trail up towards his face.

 

Great. The guy I wanted to avoid is the first person I see..

 

“U-um. H-h-here. I’m s-s-sorry again.” Chanyeol opens his mouth to say something but Baekhyun ducks his head and moves away and rushes towards their classroom. Chanyeol looks back, wanting so badly to follow and explain but the sounds of his jock friends pull him out of his reverie.

 

I can do that later today..

 

He lets his friends pull him into their little group to hang out before they go their opposite ways.


When the bell rings signaling the official beginning of the school day, he strides into class, a few people chorused ‘hellos’ in his direction and he gives them a smile. He looks around the class and catches Baekhyun’s eyes before Baekhyun breaks it to scribble something in his notebook. Chanyeol deflates and heads to the back of the class where his seat is.

 

The day drags on until Chanyeol is practically fidgeting in his seat when it’s almost lunch time because it means he can catch Baekhyun before he leaves to go wherever he does during breaks. As soon as the bell rings and everybody rushes out the door, happy to be free from the clutches of academic stresses for one hour. He still doesn’t move as he watches Baekhyun slowly pack up his things. He shoots a quick text to his friends telling them he won’t be in lunch because he’s got some stuff to catch up on in class.

 

Chanyeol sees Baekhyun’s silhouette walking through the door so he hurries to follow after the smaller boy. By this time there’s no one else in the hallway but he still follows at a safe distance until he hides behind one of the lockers when Baekhyun makes a left turn, going through the doors that lead to the roof.

 

The roof? What is he going to do up there?

 

Chanyeol follows after Baekhyun, going up the run down stairs and opens the huge, metal doors. It makes so much noise, he can hear Baekhyun let out a startled gasp from where he’s sitting on the bench, a hand clutching his heart.

“C-Chanyeol?” Baekhyun whispers, light and airy, Chanyeol almost didn’t catch it. He gives Baekhyun a sheepish smile, a hand rubbing his neck.

 

“Hi”

 

“I’m sorry. I d-didn’t realize you a-also frequent the roof. I-I’ll get out of your way.” Baekhyun starts gathering his things to go and starts heading towards the door where Chanyeol is still standing.

 

“NO!” His loud volume makes Baekhyun flinch, which Chanyeol notes. “I mean.. You don’t have to. I’ve never been up here but I followed you cuz I think we need to talk.”

 

When Baekhyun doesn’t respond, he signals for Baekhyun to just sit, and surprisingly he obeys. Chanyeol finally moves from his spot to sit next to Baekhyun on the bench, a good two feet between them.

 

“Um. How do I say this really? I’m not really good with… y’know words so I’ll just be straight with you I guess… I wanted to apologize for yesterday. I didn’t mean to just say that would hurt your feelings. I just meant that I don’t really know how to act around you? Because I feel like I always say the wrong thing and make you uncomfortable even though I wanna be friends. Though you probably already have friends and what would you need my friendship for but… uh… I think you’re really genuine..?” Chanyeol wants to crawl into a hole and die because he’s just rambling and he can’t seem to filter out his words and he’s willing to bet that after this, Baekhyun won’t ever talk to him again. “This probably is making you uncomfortable again and I know I’m ranting and rambling but please please stop me anytime. Because right now I feel like dying of embarrassment.”

 

He’s about to go on another ramble session when he hears something coming from Baekhyun’s direction. He turns around and sees Baekhyun muffle his mouth but there’s a hint of amusement in his eyes, lips also upturning and Chanyeol realizes Baekhyun’s giggling or he’s trying to suppress it.

 

His eyes widen and before long, he and Baekhyun are both breaking out into laughter, clutching their stomachs. It’s a good two minutes before either of them are able to gain control of their bodies and lungs.

 

Chanyeol clears his throat, “So.. then am I forgiven?” Baekhyun turns to look at him with a small smile of his own.

 

“I.. was n-never mad at you. There’s nothing to f-forgive.”

 

“Truce? Let’s be friends for real this time.” Chanyeol holds out his hands in an offer of friendship. Baekhyun slowly but surely reaches out and takes his hand in Baekhyun’s own small ones and shakes. Similar thoughts go through their heads. Maybe it’s the start of something new.


 

As they walk down to their classrooms after the break, kids are staring at the school’s golden boy and the nerd nobody pays attention to. Chanyeol is just talking and laughing while looking at Baekhyun while the latter just stays quiet, not sure how to act with an audience.

 

Before they could proceed to their classroom, a beautiful girl with long flowing hair steps in front of them. She smiles sweetly at Chanyeol before turning towards Baekhyun and looks at him in disgust. Baekhyun shivers because there’s something about her eyes that looks cold and calculating. The look in her eyes doesn’t go unnoticed by Chanyeol.

 

“Dara. Baekhyun and I have to get to class. The bell’s gonna ring soon.” Dara pouts cutely and latches onto Chanyeol’s arm, her head on his shoulder.

 

“Oppa! I haven’t seen you at any parties lately. Please come next weekend! I really miss you.” Chanyeol internally sighs. He knows Dara is spoiled and a bit selfish but she’s really not a bad person.

 

“I’m really busy lately so I don’t have time for parties. Sorry.”

 

“Ok well you have to come to the party next weekend or else I’ll go and drag you there.” She tries to act cute and you can hear the girls and the boys who are watching this exchange try to keep their envy at bay. Chanyeol and Dara have known each other since middle school and they’ve always run in the same circle. Everybody knew both of them would eventually be together but that doesn’t stop people from hitting on Dara or Chanyeol when they get the chance.

 

To appease Dara’s relentless begging, he just says he’ll try to make it. With that, he guides Baekhyun towards their classroom and resumes his technically one sided conversation with the smaller boy.

 

Dara just watches their backs, hands clenched into fists and tries to keep her anger in. That won’t steal Chanyeol-oppa away from me..

 

She pulls out a phone and dials an unknown number, “Oppa!! Will you do something for me please?”


Last period of the day is gym class which to be honest, Baekhyun dreads more than anything else. His hand eye coordination is probably so bad, even the gym teacher has given up on him. Today they’re running laps around the track. Usually they have to run 4 times around it to complete the mile. Baekhyun’s always the last one to complete it and before he wouldn’t really mind as much but with him and Chanyeol agreeing to be friends, he doesn’t want to embarrass himself even more. He hopes Chanyeol just pays attention to his jock friends rather than Baekhyun.

 

His hopes are dashed when he sees Chanyeol standing with his friends across the gym and waves at him. He almost waves back when Chanyeol’s attention is turned away as Dara latches onto him again.


Sweat’s running down his face as he sees his teacher and the rest of the kids in the distance. His cheeks turn red when he notices Chanyeol at the end of the track. He’s on his last lap while everyone finished 5 minutes before.

 

“Go Baekhyun! You can do it!!” Chanyeol smiles and waves his arms wildly. He doesn’t seem to notice the glares being thrown Baekhyun’s way when he finally finishes his 4 laps. As the teacher leads everyone back inside, Baekhyun can hear their murmurs, shaming him for wasting their time. He’s lost in thought until he feels someone putting their arm on his shoulder. He looks up and sees Chanyeol smiling widely at him, showcasing all his straight white teeth.

 

He feels bad because Chanyeol’s always one of the first people who finishes first and he’s had to wait even longer because of Baekhyun.

 

“Don’t worry about it Baek. It’s not a big deal. Just gym class. Let’s go get changed.” With his arms still around Baekhyun’s shoulder, he leads Baekhyun inside. The smaller boy flushes when he realizes that it was the first time someone gave him a nickname. It makes his insides feel warm. Something like belonging settles itself in his heart.