16/?

Rekindle | The Underdogs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

While waiting for their luggage, Yixing opens his phone and turns the WiFi on and immediately dozens of messages from people back in Korea pop-up on LINE. He received a message from his parents and from the boys who are currently at the ball. Yifan does the same and since he and Yixing are both subscribed to the same groups he received a ton of messages as well which he ignored in favor of leaning toward Yixing to see the photos and messages through the younger’s phone; Yixing doesn’t seem to mind as he replies to a few of the messages. With Yixing’s insistence, they eventually take a photo together and post it up on the group chat as well.

“Arrived Changsha already! You guys seem to be having fun :) Kinda makes me regret not going :(” He posted the message with the photo and almost immediately the boys replied to them.

Chanyeol: At least you’re aware where the real fun happens!

Taehyun: Why am I in this group chat?

Jinwoo: Yixing! Yifan! I hope you had a safe flight! You guys should rest up!

Seungyoon: You guys will have your piece of fun in Changsha ;)

Seungyoon: Taehyun? Where are you?

Jinwoo: Oh right! We haven’t seen you in like an hour. Where did you go with Mino?

Kyungsoo: You guys look tired :( I hope the flight wasn’t tiring! Have a good rest!

Jongin: Hyungs! Have fun in Changsha! Bring something for me!

Sehun: Oh my god! Taehyun and Mino are missing? Together?

Jongdae: Don’t pretend like you and Zitao aren’t either! We haven’t seen you since you said “We’ll just get some drinks”

Jongdae: And Yifan hyung, you’re supposed to smile for the camera!

Jongdae: Looking good Yixing hyung!

Jongdae: BUT not as good as Junmyeon!

Zitao: Oh my god!

Sehun: Oh god stahp

Bobby: Uhhh Jongdae hyung? Not here?

Junmyeon: Although I do appreciate that Jongdae, maybe you should only say that at the right place at the right time. Yifan and Yixing, I hope you guys enjoy your time in Changsha. I’ll take care of the boys while you guys are out. I’ll make sure they behave properly.

Sehun: BUT MOOOOOOMMMMM!

Junmyeon: Sehun, stop.

Sehun: K

Seunghoon: Looking good, you guys. (thumbs up) I think I saw Mino & Taehyun leave a while ago. Don’t know to where though.

Mino: (posts photo)

Mino: At a rap battle right now! Taehyun is killing it!!!!!!!

Junmyeon: WHAT?! YOU TWO GET YOUR ASSES BACK HERE RIGHT NOW!

Mino: BUT MOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!

Zitao: That looks fun!

Junmyeon: Zitao!

Zitao: Just voicing my opinions

*Mino left this group chat*

            *Taehyun left this group chat*

Junmyeon: Oh no they didn’t

Yixing: Calm down, Junmyeon. Let them have fun. I know Taehyun, he won’t do anything stupid and in my opinion he needs that for himself. We’ll be leaving the airport in a while. Will chat with you guys tomorrow. Have fun! J

Baekhyun: It seems no one has said anything about this but I’ll say it anyway because I’m sure everyone will agree anyway. You guys look so good together! ;) Rest up and we’ll catch up tomorrow. You have fun together! ;)

Yixing really wanted to give Baekhyun an earful but he spots his uncle waiting for them with one of his younger cousins. They immediately envelope Yixing in a hug because it’s been quite long time since they last saw him. He introduced Yifan to them who gave a bow of greeting to both. They load their baggage and speed off as fast as they can since it’s already late.

The youngest Zhang wasn’t expecting his grandparents to still be awake considering it’s already way past midnight. His grandparents instantly encage him in a bone-crushing hug once he steps in to the porch. Yifan unconsciously smiles at the sight and Yixing has to call him three times to get his attention again. He was introduced to the elderly couple who thanked him for accompanying Yixing on the trip. They were immediately ushered to their room which was prepared by Yixing’s grandmother earlier. The bed was king size and could easily fit both boys but Yixing offered to take the extra bed which could be rolled out beneath the bed.

“Xing, don’t be silly. This is your house. If anything I should be the one sleeping there if you’re uncomfortable with sharing a bed.”

“No, that’s not it. I was thinking maybe you’d mind. You know, I move a lot when I’m asleep.”

“I already know that but the bed is huge. If you want I can just take the extra bed.”

“No, no. I-it’s okay.”

They end up sleeping on the same bed and as if Yifan has the plague, Yixing situated himself as far as he can from his best friend. Yifan doesn’t mind and he doesn’t want to make Yixing feel uncomfortable either by forcing him to move closer. Probably because of the long day they’ve had, they knock out cold just seconds after lying down.

 

~*~

 

They wake up with Yifan still in the same position as when he slept and Yixing sprawled unceremoniously over his side of the bed. Fortunately, it is a huge bed.

Grandma Zhang woke them up close to noon with the promise of nothing but delicious food; food that Yixing misses although his mom cooks them Chinese cuisine for dinner. In his defense, his mother doesn’t always cook Hunan food since she lived half of her life in Beijing.

They decided to stay in for the day to get a good rest and to let Yixing catch up with his grandparents. Yixing played the piano for them when lunch was over which made his grandfather extremely happy. Yifan even showed them a video he took of Yixing playing during the spring concert. After spending the afternoon inside, they decided to take a walk around the neighborhood to get some fresh air.

They reached a playground where kids are running around and getting all the play they can get while the sun is still shining.

“So this is where little Yixing played when he was little.” Yifan looked at the playground and imagining his seven year-old best friend hanging in one of the monkey bars afraid to move forward.

“Oh wait, he’s still little.” Yixing pouted at him for his teasing and he couldn’t resist resting his arm over his best friend’s shoulder which shocked the younger but he immediately recovered.

“Let’s get some of that street food you’re boasting about.” Yifan steers him out of the neighborhood playground and into the streets to have something in his belly.

By the end of the day, Yifan has eaten more stinky tofu in his life than he has ever wanted to because of Yixing’s persistence.

They hear a knock on the door while they’re preparing for bed. It was Yixing’s grandmother.

“Hey grandma, why aren’t you sleeping yet?” Yixing opens the door wide as an invitation for her to come in but she stayed outside without even passing the threshold. Yifan walks to Yixing’s side and smiles at the old lady who replied with the same gummy smile.

“Here, you’ve been telling me that you want to see the Ferris Wheel.” Yixing’s grandmother hands him two tickets to the Changsha Ferris Wheel which Yixing’s been wanting to ride but he never got to since it opened after they moved to Korea. When his grand

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter