9/?

Rekindle | The Underdogs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The basketball team found itself on track with the addition of another shooter in their team. Sehun is slowly getting the grips as well, retiring from being a benchwarmer on their fifth game, clocking in five minutes in the court. Yifan wasn’t expecting such an improvement from his otherwise lackluster team but the numbers show proof that they are doing well and beyond his expectations.

“That’s Yamamoto Seiji.” Yifan whispers to Yixing once their opponents enter the gym. It’s their third home game and it’s against one of the toughest teams in Seoul.

“He’s Japanese? Damn, I think he’s taller than you.” Yixing pales when he sees the boy walk closer to greet them. The boy is almost the same height as Yifan but his body is wider than their captain. Yixing realizes that Yifan and at some point, Seunghoon and Zitao, have to fight this man off under the basket. He pales even more for the safety of his teammates, most especially Yifan’s.

“Did they scout him?” Yixing asks curiously once the other team is already well on their way to their side of the court to start practicing for the game as well.

“From what I heard, yeah. His mother’s Korean and you know that his school has connections to Korea National Sport University so they offered him a place there after high school.”

“I didn’t know you were one for gossip.” Yixing side eyes him before punching his arm lightly; trying to make the mood lighter despite the anxiety that they are both feeling but not voicing out.

“Just gathering information.” Yifan rolls his eyes as Yixing continues to poke his arm teasingly.

 

Jinwoo, Joonmyun and Baekhyun weren’t at the stands since the cheering squad will be performing during the halftime so Seungyoon and Taehyun are left with the maroon and gold flags to wave by themselves.

“Ya, look at that guy.” Seungyoon hears one of the students behind them murmur when the players enter the court. His head turns immediately to where the other kid is pointing at.

“Is he a high school student?” Another student then asks. Seungyoon can only imagine that the kid has the same wide eyes as he does once he spots the cause of their amusement.

“I don’t think we have a chance against this team.” Seungyoon whispers to Taehyun while his eyes are glued to the player that everyone is talking about.

“You don’t know that.” Taehyun counters and he knows the younger’s never been a sports fan but he’s been watching the games ever since Yixing joined the team and might still watch even after their friend graduates.

“Mino looks so small beside him. You think your boyfriend can handle him?” Seungyoon asks seriously which earns him a glare from the one sitting beside him.

“I don’t have a boyfriend. Even if I do, it wouldn’t be Mino.” He answered against gritted teeth paired with a glare that Seungyoon thinks can burn him but he only smirks because he knows Taehyun can never physically harm someone.

“Sure, whatever.” He waives the younger off and searches for his hyung instead. Once he spots Yixing, he sees the way the older has his eyes on Yifan as the team captain tries to shoot a couple a more shots in before the game actually started.

Another lost cause. He thought as Yixing welcomes Yifan back to their bench with a towel and Gatorade in hand.

 

 

The first quarter didn’t look good for them and it was obvious that Yifan was having a hard time guarding Yamamoto. Jongdae was also finding it hard to get his shots through; the other players were also tightly guarded whenever they had the ball. Yixing was closely guarded as well and couldn’t take his shots as easily as he used to make it. The second quarter was sadly the same story even with a different strategy. Although they got to score from time to time, they ended the first half down by two digits.

“I guess we need to double team Yamamoto.” Chanyeol blurts out during their halftime rest in the dugout.

“If you haven’t noticed he doesn’t really shoot much, he only disables Yifan. You can double team him, sure, when Yifan has the ball but our real problem is number six.” Coach Kim answers before going up to the whiteboard.

“He’s a really good shooter. In the eight field goals he’s tried, seven of them went in. Zitao, I will need you to guard that kid. Use your long limbs and fast legs. Do not leave his side, no matter what. You get it?” The Chinese rookie nods his head as he gulps the last of his energy drink.

“You can only leave his side when we’re in offense. Make sure the way is clean for our shooters.” Zitao gives another nod with his eyes hard and brows meeting.

“Chanyeol, always be close to Yifan to help disable Yamamoto. As much as possible, do not let him get near the basket. Don’t let him get into position.” The tallest boys of the team nodded as well before f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter