He Thinks I'm Sweet

Brown Like Cinnamon [Indefinite Hiatus: To Be Rewritten]

He always says "don't worry" but I have no idea who could be visiting...

Dalasini returned to the kitchen and was about to finish cooking when she heard Yoogeun greeting the mystery visitor, followed by a drawn out sigh from Joshua.

"Joshua hyung!"

"Did you follow me here?"

"No, we followed you to the market and then followed you here."

The third voice she recognized as Hansol from the cafe. She stepped into the front room where Yoogeun was playing alone on the floor and Joshua was talking to Hansol and a smaller, younger boy. The smaller one noticed her first and waved with both hands before running over to her.

"Hi~ I'm Chan! What's your name? Are you Yoogeun's new babysitter? Are you Joshua's girlfriend? You're pretty. I like your hair. How long have you been in Korea? Where are you from-"

"Give her a second to answer, Chan!"

"And give yourself a second to breathe."

Joshua and Hansol walked over and that gave Dalasini enough time to register exactly what was happening. Chan was just a little shorter than her, she turned to Joshua who explained what the others were doing there.

"I'm sorry. They followed me here. You remember Hansol, from the cafe?" She nodded. "Well, this is Chan. He's a friend of mine too. I didn't intend to let them in your apartment though, sorry about that."

"It's okay...did your friends want to stay too? Is that what this is? I don't know if I cooked enough for more than three..."

"SHE COOKED FOR YOU???" As usual, Hansol managed to be louder than everyone in the room, including the baby who was singing random parts of a SHINee song. 

"Don't be so loud. She's cooking for Yoogeun."

"I cooked enough for the three of us. I thought since you helped out so much I couldn't let you leave empty-handed."

Her comment didn't cut the argument short at all, instead motivating Hansol to keep teasing Joshua. Dalasini went back to the kitchen after checking on Yoogeun, who was now playing with Chan. It wouldn't be much of a hassle to cook for five people (even though it would have been helpful to know before she was almost done). She left Joshua and Hansol to their never ending back-and-forth argument and hoped to finish everything before they all got bored. I don't think I could work in a kitchen full of noisy boys and a baby. And she probably jinxed it herself because not long after she thought this, Chan entered the kitchen and immediately plastered himself to her side. Dalasini noticed he wasn't much younger than her, maybe 15 or 16 years old. But he wasn't really bothering her so she didn't say anything when he followed her around the kitchen.

"What's your name? Are you from America?" He had slowed down his barrage of questions enough to where she could actually understand what he was saying.

"My name's Dalasini. Yes, I'm from the USA."

"Wow...what's your name again?"

"Dalasini."

"Dalashini?"

She laughed, Chan was adorable. "That's right. Is your full name Chan? Or is it a nickname?"

"My full name's Lee Chan. Where are you from in the USA? Hansol hyung is from New Yorku and Joshua hyung is from LA."

"I'm from Michigan." She noticed Chan had lowered his voice to where only she could hear him. "Are you alright, Chan?"

"If I'm really loud Hyung will come in and ruin everything. He likes to talk. A lot. I do too, but Hyung talks A LOT. It's fun but I never get say anything. So I'm going to stay quiet so he doesn't get bored with teasing Joshua hyung."

His logic wasn't necessarily flawed. The kid had a pretty decent plan. Dalasini couldn't stop herself from laughing every time Chan looked around the corner to see if they had stopped fighting. Yoogeun had made his way into the kitchen by then, dragging his bag behind him. Dalasini picked him up and continued to finish dinner, sending a very pouty Chan to tell the older boys it was time to eat.

"Yoogeun is hungry!"

"It's time to eat now, Yoogeun." He wrapped his hand in her hair again, lightly tugging at the curls before hiding his face in the crook of her neck. He was more restless than hungry. He'll need a nap after this. 

She made sure everyone was settled down before she went through Yoogeun's bag to find pajamas. there are like six outfits in here! How long am I supposed to watch him? After setting out pajamas for the baby, she joined the boys in the front room. Joshua had taken over feeding Yoogeun, who had managed to get food everywhere but inside his mouth. Hansol switched from teasing Joshua to distracting Yoogeun from his food, making faces and tossing little bits of meat at him. As a responsible babysitter, she should have told Hansol to stop...but it was much more fun to watch Joshua glare at the younger boy before turning the baby away from him. 

"Well, since Joshua obviously doesn't want to talk me...I should probably be asking you about the rough day you've had, Dalasini."

"I'm okay. It's a really long story."

"Aww, come on. Share your struggle with us."

Dalasini figured he wouldn't stop until she told, so she started from when she left the airport and headed to the subway. She told the entire story again, like she had done with Joshua, including the part where he helped her get the job babysitting Yoogeun. The ever playful Hansol frowned throughout most of it, but she had no idea why.

"So, they promised you support but when you didn't want to hide your identity they kicked you to the curb?"

"Well, they gave me this apartment. I just have to pay for it myself."

"That's no help at all! You could have stayed with me! I could have been your knight in shining armor! We could have gotten married and had a honeymoon in my hometown! We could-"

"Hansol, stop it. You're being crazy." Joshua stopped feeding the baby during Hansol's outburst, handing him over to Dalasini.

"What's crazy is that such a beautiful lady is being treated this way!"

Chan laughed and tapped her on the shoulder, "Hyung is a shameless flirt. That's what Joshua hyung says."

Dalasini had already been laughing through Hansol's overdramatic rant and Chan's comment nearly brought her to tears. If she wasn't holding Yoogeun, she might have fallen over. Compared to how she had been feeling that morning, she realized how much more relaxed she was around them. These dorks are too cute for their own good. It was helpful though, having completely reversed her mood. Yoogeun began nodding off as he sat in her lap, still tugging gently at her curls. 

"Thank you for dinner, Dalasini. We should let you get settled in and-"

"WOW. It's really dark outside. I didn't think it was so late." Chan interrupted Joshua with a short outburst, staring out the window. Dalasini followed Chan's gaze and realized it was pretty late. She hadn't even noticed how late it was. No wonder Yoogeun was so fussy.

"Dalasini...I really hate to ask but-"

"You should probably spend the night here."

"What?"

"All of you have been really nice to me and I don't think you should take Chan walking through Gangnam this late in the evening. There's plenty of room and I have extra blankets."

Chan chirped up, "Hansol hyung brought blankets too! There in his backpack!"

"Hansol...you planned to stay the night..."

"Joshua, I am a young man who is capable of making his own decisions. If I decide to be prepared for anything, it doesn't concern you."

"I see that smirk. We're not taking advantage of Dalasini's kindness. We're leaving."

"COME ON."

"No." Joshua and Hansol had what looked like a very long staring contest before the younger boy gave up and crossed his arms.

"Fine."

Chan, however, wasn't ready to give up. "But it's dark out there! And it's the weekend so drunk people will be walking around and asking for people's numbers. And the dorms are a long walk from here. And what if someone saw us come here and then sees we left a lady alone in the apartment? And I want to stay with Dala noona."

He probably spouted off a hundred more reasons why they should stay but Hansol had noticed Joshua's expression during Chan's last excuse.

"He's right. They gave her an apartment near the clubs and party district. A lot of drunk guys hang around here looking to pick up girls. It would be horrible if they saw us leave Dalasini in her apartment alone. A vulnerable young lady with a baby, no way to defend herself, no-"

"Hush. If she's okay with it, we can stay."

"What was that, Joshua?" (Hansol's teasing knows no boundaries.)

"Dalasini, would you feel safe here on your first night in Korea? For once, these two are actually right."

She hadn't even thought about it until Chan mentioned it. Looking out the window, a few men were already catcalling and trying to catch the eyes of young women walking by. Dalsini could take care of herself, but tonight she was responsible for someone's child. She looked down at Yoogeun, completely asleep in her arms, and figured it would be for the best.

"It's probably stupid of me to let three people I just met sleep in my apartment...but I think it's for the best. And I don't like the idea of you walking home this late after you've spent the entire day helping me."

"I told you, looking out for people is something I like to do. But thanks, I'll make sure Hansol behaves himself."

"WHAT ARE YOU IMPLYING!?!?"

"That you're a shameless flirt and Dalasini is too sweet to be corrupted by you."

He called me sweet...Joshua thinks I'm sweet.

The thought both warmed her heart and made her want to laugh. She was by no means sweet, but hearing Joshua say it when really he was the sweet one still made her smile. She kept repeating it in her head even as she put Yoogeun to bed. Chan had clung to her side for the rest of the night, demanding that he be allowed to sleep beside her and Yoogeun. He didn't take up much room so she let him stay, checking on Joshua and Hansol before laying down herself. Eventually, Chan talked himself to sleep and passed out murmuring something about Korean BBQ. Dalasini drifted to sleep a little while later, still smiling.

Joshua thinks I'm sweet.