Well, it's a job....

Brown Like Cinnamon [Indefinite Hiatus: To Be Rewritten]

Cafe Panchu, Gangnam-gu, Seoul

"Let me make sure I understand. You were offered the chance to work for Kakao Publishing, with all these different promises of oppurtunity, but they expected you to willingly pretend to be someone else? the new deal is that you have to handle the publishing and promoting of your first book without their help, and if you can't do it they stop assisting you entirely?"

"Yes, but they aren't really assisting me now. I have an apartment thanks to them, but I need to find a job to pay for it and afford other things."

Joshua looked down into his cup, swirling the last sip of coffee around as he thought about all she had told him. This girl was no more than 20 years old, he figured, and yet she had suddenly taken on the many responsibilities of someone much older. She didn't seem as upset as before, but he couldn't imagine how stressful all that must have been during her first day in a foreign country. Before he could speak again, his friend from earlier slid into the booth next to her.

"I was looking for you, Joshua. Why didn't you just tell me you had a date?"

"This is not a date. I was trying to help her out since she's been having a bad day." Joshua nodded apologetically to her before looking back at Hansol.

"Oh, I see. Maybe I should offer my services as well? I'm Hansol, what's your name?" Hansol spoke English fluently as well, since his mother was from America. He held his hand out and when she accepted it, nearly shook the girl out of her seat.

"Ah...my name's Dalasini."

"Nice to meet you. I don't think I'm as much of a gentleman as Joshua but if you're actually looking for a date, I'd be happy to show you around Gangnam."

"Hansol, I just told you that she had a bad day. Stop it."

"But why? I'm trying to help!"

"I'm sorry, Dalasini. He's a good guy, I swear. For now, let's ignore him and get back to what we were talking about."

Hansol looked back and forth between Joshua and Dalasini, then leaned back in the booth beside her. He had a hard time believing this wasn't a date, since Joshua obviously was trying to get rid of him.

"Dalasini, since this isn't a date I'm curious about why Joshua doesn't want me around. What are you two talking about?"

"Nothing. It's been a difficult day for me, that's all. I feel better now." Dalasini smiled, Hansol was completely different from Joshua. The latter was soft-spoken, while Hansol had probably been heard by the whole cafe. It was funny how two very different people seemed to be close friends. 

"I'm assuming you feel better thanks to Joshua? So then...THIS IS A DATE."

"Hansol, stop being so loud. And that doesn't even make sense."

"A pretty girl accepting a free coffee and sitting with you at the cafe without it being considered a date doesn't make sense."

Joshua slid out of the booth and nodded to Dalasini, "Let's go. I'm going to help you with your problem."

"Alright, but where are we going? I'm just looking for a job."

"I know someone who can give you an easy job until you can work things out with your publishing company. My friend works at Kakao too, he's close friends with the boss' daughter I think."

Reluctant, Dalasini followed him out of the cafe and left Hansol behind complaining about how he wasn't able to get her number. They returned to the building where she had met Jung-sshi earlier that day, the secretary greeted Joshua as if he were a regular face around there. She handed them a pass and they entered the room beside jung's office. A much younger man, probably in his early 30s, greeted with a smile when he saw them.

"Hello Joshua. Who's this? I assume you're here to pick up Yoogeun?"

"Actually, she was going to watch over Yoogeun in my place tonight. Her name is Dalasini. She started working with your father's company today but is off to a rough start."

"Oh, I see. I apologize for my father. Hopefully, we can do more help than harm. For now, how does 100'000 an hour sound?"

"WHAT." Dalasini felt her heart drop. What exactly was happening?

"To babysit my son. My wife Yoo-mi works too. We can't trust anyone with our son but Joshua is recommending you, so I'll have faith in his opinion."

"Okay, okay. But wait, I just got my apartment! I don't even know if it's safe for a baby!"

"No worries. Yoogeun is well-behaved anyway."

"That's not what I meant-"

"Yoo-mi! Where's Yoogeun? Joshua and the new sitter are here!"

"WAIT A SECOND." Dalasini sighed when the room erupted in a huge fuss, well it's a job at least. She turned to Joshua, who was smiling at her.

"See? I told you I could help."