[the B-sides]: Unrequited

Blue Coffee [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[the B-sides]: Unrequited 

Unrequited.

 

Such a solemn word that exists in the hearts of many. If Namjoo was to conduct an extended essay about it, then for sure she would fail her English subject. She would need to find the problem, the treatment and the management of unrequited love. There’s no such thing as a cure to this kind of love, there’s no way to prevent it from happening either – if there was then she wouldn’t feel mixed emotions whenever she sees him.

 

Her unanswered love… was only an additional problem to her mountain of worries.

 

‘Where are you?’ The text message read. The sender was Baekhyun and he sent it 30 minutes after Taehyung walked her home. She forgot that she had promised to help him brainstorm a surprise romantic getaway for Taeyeon as a gift. Semestral break was just around the corner; also, Taeyeon’s birthday.

Namjoo quickly replied an apology and told him she can’t make it tonight. Nope… not looking like this. She splashed her face with cold water numerous of times then checked herself on the mirror.

 

“Aw, man… why didn’t I use my waterproof mascara?” she sighed and chuckled. “…This has to stop.”

 

*****

 

“Unnie~” Namjoo went straight to Chorong’s open arms. “Why are you here? Were you waiting for me?” Her eyes glistened with expectation that got thrown off a cliff right away when her friend answered, clueless, “I’m supposed to talk to your class president and give him some papers--” she showed her. “—do you happen to know where he is?”

Namjoo pouted and shook her head. “Unnie, we haven’t hang out in a while—let’s go home together!” She suggested in excitement.

“I’d love to, really,” she said. “Noona!” A voice interrupted. Chorong beamed, “There you are!” She patted Namjoo with an apologetic smile, “Namjoo-yah, next time, I promise…” and headed towards Namjoo’s classmate.

Irritation took over Namjoo. She silently glared at Kim Taehyung, stealing her precious time with a precious friend. He caught her looking and waved at her.

Crossing her arms, she turned her back on him. “Hmph!”

 

*****

 

Sophomore Kim Namjoo and Kim Taehyung. They belonged to the same class and sat beside each other because of their surnames. They only had short conversations and discussions.

 

The two were only mere acquiantances – classmates and seatmates. Namjoo wouldn’t exactly call him a friend.

 

*****

 

He poked Namjoo’s shoulder. “Hey,” he whispered because the teacher was discussing in front, “… can I borrow a pencil?”

Namjoo looked at him oddly with a raised brow. He scratched the back of his head. “I forgot to bring my pencil case at home,” he chuckled.

Without a word, she reached out for her bag and searched for a pencil – she wasn’t really sure if she brought one. First pocket, second pocket, third pocket – Taehyung stared at her while she rummaged her backpack to find a pencil to lend.

“…where the hell did I put that pencil…” he heard her murmur with a hint of annoyance.

He smiled, clearly amused. “You know…” he said, “You could use a pencil case yourself.”

She rolled her eyes, not letting his teasing tone get to her. She zipped close her bag, dropped it on the floor and turned to Taehyung. She smirked.

“Pencil cases are for elementary students, f.y.i.”

 

*****

 

Namjoo remembered her first few weeks as a sophomore. Her friends from when she was a first year ditched her for the popular cliques, explaining why she hadn’t exactly made any friends in her class. Her classmates talked about her behind her back but it’s not like she could blame them. She was the one pulling off the diva face when someone tries to have a chat with her.

 

It’s alright, though. She has Park Chorong by her side.

 

Those had been her thoughts back then that made her happy no matter what her circumstances were inside the classroom or outside it.

 

*****

 

Ever since she knew that Taehyung and Chorong were as close as siblings, she ignored the class president when he started a conversation, she glared at him whenever he tagged along her and Chorong’s weekly hangouts, and she made a clicking sound with her tongue when he tried to ask her ‘What’s the problem?’

 

At the canteen, Namjoo scanned the tables to find Chorong – she promised to eat lunch with her today. She met eyes with Taehyung who seemed to be waiting for her and he waved at her which she chose to ignore. She tried to find her friend again, ending up with him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter