Glee

Teamwork
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jihyo swears she can feel her thumb going numb from endlessly pressing on her television remote buttons. For the nth time, she browses through the plentiful yet narrow movie selection offered by her online streaming service, despite knowing that she probably won't find a single movie interesting enough to keep her engaged for at least twenty minutes. She just needs to find something, anything, that will keep her occupied for the time being. Anything to make the time go by quicker or less painfully slow than it is now. To put it simply: Jihyo is bored out of her mind.

Since she has unfortunately managed to fall ill once again - this time, losing her voice among the other symptoms as well, Jihyo has been confined to her bed all day. She knows she's supposed to get as much rest as possible to recover in a timely manner, but she's got too much on her mind to sleep. Or rather, she's not the type of person who wants to sit around at home and sleep all day. After all, she's got a club to manage, a budget meeting to lead, and a couple to stop from bickering with each other every other minute.

With that thought, Jihyo decides to check in with her friends and see how they're doing. Hopefully no one has done anything outrageously stupid since she's been away. She grabs her phone off of her nightstand, ready to send a message to the birdwatching club groupchat, when she hears someone knocking at her door. She puts down her phone and clambers out of bed, feeling a bit light-headed, and she walks downstairs to answer the door.

It's Nayeon and Jeongyeon.

Jihyo has never been happier to see her closest friends. (Literally.)

"Hi Jihyo!" Jeongyeon greets brightly as Nayeon does the same. They approach their friend for a hug but quickly stop themselves as they appear to remember that she's sick. They opt to merely smile at her instead. Jihyo steps aside and lets them in. "Sorry for the sudden drop-in, but we wanted to check on you. Nayeon also brought the work you've missed." Nayeon holds up a stack of papers held together by a thick clip, showing it to Jihyo before dropping it down on a nearby table. "So how are you feeling?"

Jihyo tries to clear her scratchy throat before speaking. "Better than yesterday, that's for sure. I think I'll be out for another day before I can come back to school. What have you two been up to?" Jihyo doesn't sense any danger behind this seemingly harmless question, until she sees Nayeon and Jeongyeon glance at each other with what appears to be bloodlust. Oh no. No no no.

"You know, that's a good question, Jihyo." Nayeon begins, never breaking eye contact with an equally peeved Jeongyeon. "I was just walking home with this one over here," She points at her girlfriend, who crosses her arms and rolls her eyes. "- taking my favorite soccer ball with me, when she decided that it'd be a great idea to kick it right out of my hands. Where it goes over the fence. Into the water canal. And floats away. Thus guaranteeing that I'm never ever going to see it again."

Jeongyeon scoffs as Nayeon glares at her. "Calm down, you're being overdramatic. I'll just buy you another one."

"Have I not articulated enough that it was my favorite soccer ball? That ball was the first gift you ever gave me! You think you can just replace something with that kind of value?! Do the gifts I give you not mean anything to you?"

"I never said that!"

"You pretty much implied it!"

"No I didn't, stop twisting my words!"

Oh god what have I done.

As she feels a headache beginning to develop, Jihyo starts to think that it was better when her house was void of company, nice and peaceful and quiet. She's a bit too weak and weary to intervene between the two, so she allows the couple to go at it as she takes a seat and massages her temples. They don't show any signs of stopping soon, and Jihyo wonders if they'd notice her leaving and going back up to her room.

In the middle of her deliberation, there's a knock at the door again, and Jihyo rai

Please log in to read the full chapter