Poetry

Teamwork
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung is on the train, taking her usual morning route to school with her friends Dahyun and Tzuyu. She's scrolling through several playlists on her phone and trying to figure out what she's in the mood to listen to when she notices Dahyun staring at her and her lips moving. She quickly removes from her ears both of the earphones drowning out the noises from the rest of the world. "Sorry, I didn't catch that. I had the volume up too high. Can you repeat what you said?" She asks as she closes the music application on her phone.

"It's alright. I was just asking if you listen to underground rap." Dahyun explains.

"Oh. I do. Occasionally. Why?"

"Tzuyu and I were just talking about the debut of this new underground rapper." Dahyun gestures to their friend sitting beside her as she nods her head. "They dropped their mixtape last night on SoundCloud, and that's all everyone's been talking about this morning." Chaeyeoung raises a brow and glances at her fellow students on the train. She picks up bits and pieces of their conversations, and they're indeed having discussions about underground rap and mixtapes. If there's one thing they all have in common, it's the obvious excitement and enthusiasm they demonstrate in their voices and body language as they rave about this mysterious newcomer.

"You should totally listen to it. Tzuyu and I don't really listen to rap, but we've heard a few tracks on the tape ourselves and we think it's really good. As the president of the poetry club, I think you could appreciate it even better than the rest of us. It'd be interesting to hear what you think of it. Here, I can search for it on your phone and let you listen to it right now." Dahyun offers as Chaeyoung reluctantly hands her phone to her friend. Chaeyoung observes Dahyun's pressed lips and furrowed brows as she continuously taps around the screen of her phone. A minute or two later, Dahyun eventually smiles and gives Chaeyoung her phone back. "Here it is. I'll stop bothering you so you can listen to it in peace."

"Okay, thanks." Chaeyoung pushes her earphones back into her ears as and presses the play button afterwards.

She tries not to cringe at the sound of her own voice rapping along to the beat.

 

 

"You've heard it, right?" Nayeon questions Chaeyoung as she hovers over the younger girl who is drinking water from the fountain, essentially blocking the sunlight away from her face.

Chaeyoung stands upright, wiping away the small droplets of water around with a handkerchief. She realizes that Jeongyeon and Jihyo are here too, and they silently greet her with smiles and nods. "Heard what?"

"Young Chae's mixtape."

Upon this answer, Chaeyoung suppresses an incoming scowl and a forced smile takes its place. She actually thought that it'd be something else, like gossip, but as Dahyun had told her this morning, her mixtape is the only thing the students at her school have been talking about - including the upperclassmen. It was bad enough to hear her own classmates praising her mixtape to the high heavens and beyond. She'd only uploaded h

Please log in to read the full chapter