Teamwork

Teamwork
Please log in to read the full chapter

Nayeon knew from the very start that this fundraiser event would be horrific.

Aside from the fact that she'd be standing underneath the blazing sun all day to sell overly priced lemonade during the weekend, she was also aware of who exactly would be participating. When her coach told her that it is her obligation as captain of the girls' soccer team to participate - in order to raise funds to pay for transportation to their matches and to collect more funds in general because the school's accountant hates the head of the athletics department (who just happens to be her coach) - she expected nothing but disaster...and she stands correct.

It has been only fifteen minutes into the event yet Nayeon already finds herself in an argument with that incorrigible Yoo Jeongyeon, otherwise known as the president of the art club. (Of course that egotistical, self-proclaimed artistic genius would be participating in the fundraising event. Wherever Nayeon goes as captain of the soccer team, Jeongyeon is guaranteed to show up as president of the art club. Damn the school for these leadership gatherings.)

"Hey you, what the hell is this?" Nayeon slaps her hand against the huge banner that the captains of the basketball and football team had painstakingly hung up before the start of the event. When she is blatantly ignored the first time, she snaps her fingers right in front of the taller girl's face. Jeongyeon finally looks at Nayeon, and the soccer captain places her hands on her hips as she waits for an explanation.

"The last time I checked, I had a name." Jeongyeon replies sarcastically. She peers down and gestures to the name tag pinned to her shirt in mock surprise. "Ah yes, it's right here. It says 'Yoo Jeongyeon', and I would prefer that you use it." Nayeon merely rolls her eyes. "Anyways, is there a problem, Nayeon-sshi?"

"Unfortunately, there is. It appears that someone around here had foolishly decided on their own to draw this disturbing image right on the event banner." Nayeon points at the clearly out-of-place bloody and crushed lemon in the corner of the banner. She only glances at it briefly because she herself is quite disturbed by the sight. "I believe this may hinder our efforts."

Jeongyeon makes a single, slow blink that only contributes to Nayeon's annoyance at the situation. "So what are you saying?"

Nayeon immediately drops her tone of false politeness, along with the equally false smile that had once accompanied it: "This is stupid, and it's going to scare away some potential donors. There are kids coming here too, for goodness' sake. Remove it now."

The art club president her chin thoughtfully. "Mmm...nah." Nayeon narrows her eyes at Jeongyeon but the latter is not in the least bit deterred as she continues: "I really like it. Plus, it draws attention to our event."

"It is not attracting the kind of attention we want, and it is especially not from the kind of attention from donors that we need." Nayeon hisses, baring mostly her two front teeth. "And I think it's downright awful. Aren't you the president of the art club? What a shame."

Jeongyeon retains her composure and playful demeanor despite the other girl's jab at her position. "Well, what does an uncultured jock such as yourself know about art?"

"I know that your drawing over here ."

"Well that's too bad because your opinion doesn't matter, and by itself, it's even more irrelevant. No one else around here is complaining, so I guess you'll just have to deal with it. Got anything else on your mind? You might as well say it now." Nayeon looks like an offended fish out of water as opens and closes without a sound. Jeongyeon grins victoriously as her opponent realizes her defeat.

Nayeon bites her lower lip to suppress anything foul that may emerge from , and she stomps away in the opposite direction. See? Horrific.

 

 

They stop speaking to each other by the halfway mark of the event, after they have their sixth argument about the way Nayeon communicates with the donors. ("Flirtation is just another form of persuasion. Whatever earns us donations is totally fine", Jeongyeon comments loudly as the girl that Nayeon is speaking to bursts into giggles. The captain of the girls' soccer team definitely isn't going to take that one without fighting back.) 

Since the moment in which Nayeon first learned of Jeongyeon's existence, she knew that this girl would be giving her a difficult time. Since the moment in which an underclassman stepped in her way and refused to move in spite of all expressions of superiority and even threats, Nayeon knew that Yoo Jeongyeon would be a complete pain in her . The younger girl's repeated appearances in her life only lessen the room for doubt.

They're both stubborn, controlling, and unafraid to lash out. The aforementioned traits may be unpleasant to some, but they're at their absolute worst when the people possessing these traits are interacting on a constant, unwanted basis. They have to struggle and clash. They're like oil and water, fire and ice, night and day - it's just a relation that isn't meant to be, and the two have figured it out by now. Thus they make an unspoken, unanimous decision to stay out of each other's hair until the event finally ends, because it's simply for the best.

However, as more lemonade is sold and more people have passed by the event, Nayeon also checks the time much more often than before. She'd never admit it, but things have gro

Please log in to read the full chapter