4: It can only get better

My 7 Husbands

               Back at the house, Sana had the four guys in the van help her carry the things inside to the kitchen. As soon as they turned the corner of the hallway into the living room, the three guys in the living room were all looking at the TV. Jiro cleared his throat and pointed at the show. “You guys are on the celebrity news already. Sana, they think you are a crazed fan.” The manager sighed and sulked into the kitchen to put the bags she had down. Her cell phone suddenly rang and the guys could hear her groan out loud from out in the living room.

               After some explaining to her boss, she came out and looked at Yeahoon. “I need you to write an official statement about me being a manager and the ballet security not knowing…” He nodded and tried to hide his smile as she walked up the stairs. She suddenly yelled down the stairs. “Put all that stuff away!” Jiro looked up the stairs a bit worried but went back to the kitchen to tell the younger boys where to put the stuff.

               Sana closed her bedroom door behind herself as she crawled onto her bed, sitting with her back against the wall by her pillows. She pulled her knees close and stared at her phone in front of her. It was constantly vibrating as all the people who knew her were messaging her. She flipped the phone over so she couldn’t see the messages on screen as they came in. This job wasn’t what she expected.

               There was a quiet knock on the door as it opened slowly. Eli stuck his head in. “Sana, are you alright?” She smiled at him and nodded. “I will be. I guess I’m just not cut out for this job.” He shook his head as he closed the door and sat on the side of her bed. “It was just a weird day. No one could have even thought that their car could get towed while shopping.” She nodded slightly in agreement as she stared at her phone still vibrating.

               Eli smiled at her and looked away. “Also, who does that security guard think he is manhandling you like that?” He turned back and grinned at her. “Jiro and JR were really angry seeing him try to pull you away from that pillar.” She laughed a bit. “Yeahoon was laughing at me when he saw the video in the car.” Eli nodded. “It was funny too. Have you actually watched it yet?” She nodded and sighed. “I saw it in the car… It got uploaded so fast…”

               The actor glared at the vibrating phone and picked it up, putting it on silent. “There, now you won’t have to deal with the messages. Come back downstairs with all the guys. We need you. Yeahoon should be done already.” Sana looked at him shocked. “He’s done already??” He nodded. “Do you know how many times he has had to write statements for all of us?” He smiled. “He got rid of my whole dating scandal a few years back.” He held his hand out to her. “Come on.”

               She sighed and grabbed his hand and left her phone on her bed as she followed him downstairs. JR grinned at her as she entered the kitchen before going back to trying to figure out the rice cooker instructions he was holding. Jiro and Daeryong were putting the dishes in the cabinet. Dongwoo was fighting with the boxes of silverware before Sangsoo just took the box from him and opened them with no problem from the other end. Dongwoo burst out laughing at himself and looked over to Sana. “Hey, where should we put those things?” he said pointing to the stuff on the table.

               She smiled a bit and started helping them put things away. Yeahoon came into the room and leaned against the door frame and crossed his arms. “I sent the statement out to the company who should be releasing it soon. Everything will be fine. I told the company that you didn’t want to take legal action against the guard.” She sighed in relief and suddenly hugged him, making everyone else in the kitchen suddenly freeze. “Thank you so much Yeahoon.” She said smiling as she went back to putting away the last of the stuff.

               The guys all stared at Yeahoon who had a smirk on his face before he turned around and went into the living room. The rest of the guys started talking to Sana at the same time. Eli laughed and grabbed her by the arm. “You guys are sad.” He said as he led her into the living room by Yeahoon. Sana sat down between Yeahoon and Eli as the younger one turned the volume up on the TV. “The show we sent the statement to is starting.” Eli yelled into the kitchen. “Guys! Come see!” They all piled into the living room and sat down. Jiro leaned on the couch behind Sana’s head and took the remote from Yeahoon to turn it up again.

               The woman on the TV opened up the show and their announcement came on first. “As many of you have seen today. A video of a woman being forcibly removed from a ballet studio where a famous Ballet star had been practicing has gone viral. We have an official statement from the dancer Sangsoo Woo’s company explaining the incident. The statement is as follows, ‘The woman in the video is not a fan but his new manager starting her first day. The security guard is not at fault because we at HEM had forgotten to inform the ballet studio where Sangsoo practices. HEM takes full responsibility for this incident and would like to apologize to the studio and to Sangsoo and his new manager. Please give her your congratulations on her new job.’” The woman laughed a bit. “Well it seems that being a manager is a hard job. I wish her luck on her new job. She had also been spotted earlier in the day at the store with Radio star Daeryong Jung, the writer Yeahoon Kim and our stations own Dongwoo Jang.”

               Jiro turned the TV down again and nodded. “Good job Yeahoon.” He laughed and looked over at Eli. “It was easier to write than Eli’s cover up. At least this one was true. How is she doing by the way?” Eli reached over Sana and flicked the writer in the forehead. “Shush.” Sana chuckled a bit. “So there really was a girl?” All the guys except JR nodded. JR looked just as interested as she did. He wasn’t around when that happened.

               Eli suddenly stood up and changed the subject. “Sana, will you help me cook dinner?” She nodded and followed him into the kitchen. He grabbed an apron from on top of the fridge and Sana was about to decline it but the taller man put it on himself instead. He smiled at her as he tied it behind his back and opened the fridge. “So what groceries did you get?” he asked as he grabbed stuff out of the fridge. Sana filled the rice maker as Eli started deciding what dish they were going to make.

               After deciding on food, he handed over the package of rice cakes to Sana. “Will you cut these into pieces and put them in boiling water?” She smiled and nodded. “Are we going to make Tteokbokki?” Eli nodded as he searched the fridge to see if they had any pre-made sauce. “Did you guys pick up any tteokbokki sauce?” Sana shook her head. “I forgot it. We can just make it ourselves.” Eli looked at her and smiled as she added her cut up rice cakes to a bowl of boiled water. “So what do we need for the sauce then?” He said as she squeezed between him and the fridge to get the stuff she needed. “You don’t know how to make it?” She asked teasingly. He nodded. “I do but people have different recipes for their own sauces you know.” She glanced over at him suspiciously as she pulled the Korean stock out and handed it to him. “Measure out 8 cups of that since we have to make a lot of servings.”

               Eli laughed again and did as he was told. She grabbed the red pepper paste. “8 tablespoons of this…” she said as she set it on the counter and continued to go through the fridge as Eli added the paste to the broth. She grabbed the soy sauce and set that on the counter too. “8 tablespoons of this too.” She grabbed the bag of green onions and set it on the counter. “Where did they put the sugar?” She asked as she started opening cabinets.

               She found the bag of sugar as Eli was stirring the sauce on the stove. Someone had put it on a top shelf and she stared at it grumpily. “Why would they put it way up there…” She sighed and looked over to Eli. “Eli, will you get that for me?” He came over and reached over her head to grab it. He could feel her back against his chest as he grabbed the sugar and handed it to her. She smiled up at him. “Thank you. We need 8 tablespoons of that too.” He burst out laughing at her lack of reaction at the close contact.

               She looked at him confused. “What’s so funny?” She asked as she watched him scoop the sugar. “You know I am a movie star right?” She nodded blankly. “Usually people have some sort of reaction to being that close to me.” She laughed at him and waved her finger at him. “I know, but I am your manager and I need to keep things professional.” He nodded with a smile on his face as she started cutting the green onions and then slowly started blushing. He smirked to himself at her delayed reaction.

               She grabbed a fish cake out of the fridge and cut it into triangles while avoiding looking at Eli in the face. Even though she was his manager, she was suddenly very aware of his presence now that he pointed it out. She kept remembering the things she had seen today of each of them and it only made her blush harder the more she thought about it.

               The sauce started boiling so Eli drained the rice cake from the bowl of water and added it to the sauce and turned down the heat. The two of them leaned against the counter as they waited for the rice cakes to boil for a bit. Eli turned towards her. “So do you feel better now?” She nodded and sighed as she crossed her arms in front of herself. “I will know how good I feel about it after I check my phone after dinner.” Eli laughed and nodded in agreement. “You were getting a lot of messages. How come you took this job if you are so popular? You aren’t going to have much time for them.” She nodded. “That’s the point. Most of them aren’t real friends anyways. Just people I knew back in school or my family. My family all knows about my job though.”

               “Should we add the fish cakes yet?” He asked. Sana grabbed the cut up fish cakes and stirred them in with the boiling rice cakes. She could hear the guys out in the living room arguing over what show to watch. She looked out the doorway and saw Sangsoo looking at his phone and Jiro trying to mediate between JR and Dongwoo who both wanted to watch a cartoon but different ones. Daeryong was trying to tell them that they should watch a drama instead. Yeahoon was just watching them entertained.

               Sana removed the food from the stove and stirred in the cut green onions. “Did I get a dish that’s big enough for all of this?” She asked as Eli started searching. The plates weren’t big enough for all of the servings so he found a baking pan and lined it with wax paper. “We can use this!” He said grinning as Sana laughed and poured the food onto the wax paper. He held up his hand in the air and she high-fived him. “Congratulations on cooking 8 servings of food. I will gladly turn over this responsibility to you.” She laughed and nodded as she put rice into 8 bowls and followed him into the living room.

               The guys in the living room immediately stopped arguing over the TV as Eli set the pan down on the table. Sangsoo looked up from his phone then at Eli. “Why is it on a cooking pan?” He asked blankly. Sana laughed awkwardly as she handed out the rice. “I forgot about getting serving dishes and we only had regular size plates. This was the only thing big enough for all of it.” He accepted the explanation and grabbed some chopsticks as everyone started eating. Sana sat down next to Daeryong and took the remote from him and turned the channel to Running Man.

               The guys all took their first bite of the food and looked at Sana and Eli. The actor looked confused. “What? Is it bad?”  JR shook his head as he grabbed as many rice cakes as he could with his chopsticks and shoved them in his mouth. Dongwoo grinned. “This is better than what you usually make Eli.” He shrugged his shoulders. “We didn’t have any pre-made sauce so we used the recipe that Sana knew.” The guys all looked impressed as they quickly ate all the food.

               When the food was almost all gone, Jiro pointed at JR and Dongwoo. “You two will wash the dishes this time.” Both of them grumbled to themselves. Sana laughed a bit and stood up. “I need to go get something from my room real quick. No one escape!” She said as she quickly headed up the stairs. The guys looked at each other and shrugged it off before finishing eating.

               Inside her room, she found the box that she had brought with her the day before and quickly opened it up. She pulled out a the largest thing in the box before glancing at her phone and deciding to leave it there.

               Back downstairs she revealed what she had brought down. She quickly stuck it to the wall at her eye level. The boys all stared at it with interest. It was a large dry erase calendar that had hourly slots for a week worth of time. Sana dropped a packet of dry erase markers on the table. “Each of you pick a color and write your schedules for the week on here since it was planned before I got the job.” Sangsoo took the red marker first and immediately wrote down all his practice times. Eli grabbed the pink one. Dongwoo and JR both wanted the bright green marker but Jiro convinced JR to take the dark green instead. Jiro took the blue marker and Yeahoon took the yellow. Daeryong was left with the orange marker.

               Yeahoon and JR both stared at the calendar then each other. “We don’t have any scheduled stuff this week.” JR said sulking. Yeahoon laughed. “As far as I know, I don’t have anything for all of January. I just have to work on my next book.” Sana smiled. “I will try my hardest to find you stuff to do JR. Yeahoon, you just keep doing whatever you do.” Dongwoo burst out laughing and put his arm on the writers shoulder. “You are giving her the easiest job.”

               The guys all took turns writing down their schedules as JR and Dongwoo went to go do the dishes. Eli was the last one to write his stuff down. Everyone had already started scattering to their own rooms leaving Sana alone with Eli. He sat back down on the couch as Sana studied over the calendar. “Eli, some of these appointments don’t have anything written in them except that you will be gone.” He nodded. “Yeah, I gotta have some private time too you know.” He laughed as he patted the cushion next to him. She motioned towards the stairs. “I should go get my phone quick so I can put this stuff in it.” He smiled again as he watched her go up the stairs.

               She quickly came back down and sat down as she unlocked her phone. When the screen lit up, she had over a hundred messages on her phone from different apps and a missed call from her mom and brother. Eli was looking at her screen. “You have a brother?” She nodded as she cleared all the notifications without looking at the messages. “I have an older half-brother named Sam Ku. He is CEO of a chain of nightclubs.” Eli smiled and put his arms across the back of the couch as Sana put all the info into her phone.

               Eli looked at the clock and it was starting to get late. He stood up and stretched his arms up into the air and sighed. “Well I should go to sleep since I didn’t get much today.” He ruffled her hair a bit and grinned at her. “Tomorrow will be better. Don’t give up on us just yet.” He winked at her before he headed off to his room, leaving her alone in the living room.