farewell

farewell

1st time

Junmyeon had promised his mom that he wouldn't cry. The he would be a good little boy and hold her hand as she walked him to his kindergarten classroom. He looks at the wide, colorful space, the red and blue rug, the desks scattered around the room already filling up with students and he can't help but cling a little bit more to his mommy. It's not like he's crying.
"Jun, baby, mommy has to go now." Junmyeon whines and clings harder to her legs. If he squishes hard enough then she won't be able to pry him off. Then he can stay with mommy the whole day! Or she can stay with him inside the classroom.

"Junmyeon." Oh no. She's using The Voice. He might really start crying now.

"But mommy." He tugs helplessly at the hem of her cashmere sweater, the soft fabric a comfort to him. There are so many other kids. What if one of them turns out to be a bully like Swiper from Dora the Explorer? What if he doesn't make a friend like Boots? He misses home already.

"Junmyeon, I need you to let go. Mommy's gonna be late for work. And I'll be back to pick you up once school is over, baby. You can wait till then, right? You can be good for mommy?" Junmyeon wants to say no. Wants to cry and stomp his feet until his mommy picks him up. Just then, the teacher comes towards them. He has on a bright smile, chestnut hair bouncing with each step.

"Hello! My name is Mr. Kwanghee but the kids can call me Mr. K. I'll be their kindergarten teacher for the year!"

"Ah, nice to meet you Mr. Kwanghee! Junmyeon say hello to your teacher." Junmyeon looks up at the tall man. He seems nice.

"Hi," Junmyeon whispers, half hiding behind his mother's legs. Mr. K stretches his hand out for Junmyeon to take. Junmyeon hesitates but at his mother's gentle nudge, he takes the man's large hand.

"I'm going to show you where you'll be sitting, ok? But first let's tell mommy bye bye and to have a good day." She bends down to be eye level with Junmyeon and he puts on his best pout to convince her to stay.

"Make lots of friends, ok? Don't forget your manners. Always say your please and thank yous. And have fun, baby. Mommy will be back in no time." She kisses his forehead goodbye after he grumbles out an OK. He squeezes the teacher's hand as his mommy leaves the room and disappears from his sight.

"Come on, Junmyeon was it? You'll be sitting at the purple table." He leads Junmyeon to a wide table near the back of the room where two boys are already sitting down. He places Junmyeon in a purple chair beside one of the boys, a laminated nameplate already placed on the table.

"Friends, this is Junmyeon. Junmyeon this here is Minseok." He points at the chubby cheeked boy sitting by his side who waves at Junmyeon all gums and teeth on display. "And next to him is Chanyeol." He waves at Junmyeon too, hands so enthusiastic his whole body shakes. Junmyeon smiles and waves back at them, some of his shyness already fading away.

"Let's all be friends, OK?"

"OK!" the three of them chorus before falling into a giggling fit. Maybe kindergarten won't be so scary after all.

2nd time

It's been four months and Junmyeon is still trying to settle in. The weather is getting colder so the kids can no longer go outside for recess. Instead they play indoors.

Junmyeon scrapes his toes along the carpet in front of the box of legos. He had wanted to play with Minseok but Chanyeol had dragged him away for a game of Uno before Junmyeon could get a word in. Junmyeon sniffs a little. Besides, Minseok he hasn't really made friends with anyone else.

He sneaks a peek at Chanyeol and Minseok playing with bright smiles and sniffs harder. He drags the box out and decides to play by himself. Moping around won't make Minseok notice him and he doesn't want to waste recess crying.

He picks up all the purple pieces and starts stacking them thoughtlessly. Then two other small hands are helping him add more to the growing tower. He gives Junmyeon a lazy smile, asking if he can join. He remembers the his name. Jongin. Junmyeon nods excitedly.

"Wanna be friends, Jongin?" Jongin beams in response. Together they start building a tower, Jongin inserting colors to clash against the purple. It's ten minutes before the end of recess when Minseok makes his way over.

"Whatcha building?"

"A tower."

"The tallest tower!" Jongin supplies.

"Is it ok if I join?" Now it's Minseok toeing the carpet. Junmyeon feels all warm and happy at finally having his friend's attention.

"Sure! Mommy always says the more the merrier!" Minseok smiles, ruffles Junmyeon's hair. Together they build a tower so tall, they have to stand to reach the top.

3rd time

It's still winter. The weather is colder now so Junmyeon's mother makes sure to wrap him up in thicker coats and bundle him up in heavy woven scarves. Junmyeon fights when it comes to the mittens, though, He feels extra silly with them on. But then Junmyeon's mother threatens to take away his favorite Optimus Prime doll and he settles.
Once they reach the school, Junmyeon runs inside eager to take it all off. Mr. K has to help him with the scarf and the first two outer layers of coats, but after that, Junmyeon scrambles off to his cubby and stuffs his itchy sweaters at the very back. He turns and catches sight of Minseok entering the classroom, hands also tied up in mittens. Poor friend is probably suffering too. But before he can help, Mr. K makes an announcement.
"Now, friends, I know it's hot in here but try and keep your sweaters on if you can. For recess, we're gonna go outside and play with the snow for a bit. If everyone stays on green of course." All of the kids instantly hush and straighten their backs, game faces on. Mr. K smiles. "So just bear with me and your mothers until recess time, OK?"

"OK!"

Recess is a-ma-zing. The snow is nice and fluffy, perfect for making snowballs. Jongin let out a high pitched squeal every time he got hit but he always bit back with a vengeance so Junmyeon makes sure to avoid him.

Instead, he goes to an unoccupied corner and starts building a snowman. Much, much safer. Minseok comes waddling along just as Junmyeon finishes.

"Minseok, look look! Isn't my snowman awesome?" Minseok leans and pokes two eyes and a smile onto the snowman.

"There. Now, it's awesome." Junmyeon beams. Minseok, however, isn't done.

He drags Junmyeon up and a little deeper into their corner. He falls on his back and motions for Junmyeon to do the same.

"Snow angels!" Minseok exclaims. Junmyeon giggles as he plops down next to him.

"Why?"

"Cuz you are an angel," Minseok easily replies. Junmyeon's ears feel hot.He's pretty sure he is blushing but he's also very sure that
Chanyeol just challenged them into a class wide snowball fight. Holding on to Minseok's hand, he and the other kids get ready for the
greatest battle in the history of kindergarten.

4th time

The snow is replaced by rain. The air is still chilly but now it's more humid and a lot of Junmyeon's classmates are sick.
It's spring.

They're learning about the season, April Showers Bring May Flowers, when the teacher pauses the class a few minutes before lunch time.

"Friends, today is Minseok's birthday. So why don't we all sing him Happy Birthday together?" Junmyeon eagerly turns in his seat to face his best friend who was blushing at all the attention.
"Happy Birthday to you~ Happy Birthday to you~ Happy Birthday dear Minseoooook~ Happy Birthday to you!" Everyone cheers extra loud at the end. Junmyeon makes sure to squeeze his hand extra tight so that he can feel the love, too.

Junmyeon waits until they're gathering their things at the end of the day to approach Minseok and hand him his birthday gift. He had spent hours yesterday with his mommy in the toy store trying to figure out what his friend might like. He waits impatiently for Minseok to slip on his Avengers backpack before shoving the wrapped up box in his face.

"Happy Birthday, Minseok!" Minseok flushes, eyes wide with excitement.

"You got me a present?"

"Of course!" Junmyeon leans extra close so that none of the other kids can hear as they line up. "You're my favorite person in the class." He kisses Minseok on the cheek like how he kisses his mommy every time he feels giddy with love. Minseok is smiling so wide when he pulls back he can't help but hug him too.

"This Saturday my family is gonna celebrate. You wanna come hang out?"

"Is there cake?"

"Chocolate!"

"Then count me in!" This time it's Minseok who hugs and kisses his cheeks. Junmyeon is pretty sure he's walking on clouds as they make their way down to the car line for dismissal. He is just that happy.

5th time

The days and months are slipping away. It's already the last month of school and the restlessness is palpable in the air, Junmyeon can't sit still for more than five minutes and Minseok has to keep reaching his hand down to squeeze Junmyeon's leg to stop it from bouncing in place.

He is extra excited because today Minseok will be going home with him to celebrate his birthday. He had spent all yesterday cleaning up his room and picking up his toys so his mommy would say yes. All of his toys were stacked in the treasure chest, ready for Minseok and Junmyeon to play with when they arrive home.

"...and you have to pet Abby every time she comes over otherwise she won't leave and she's a big dog so we don't want her to take up space in the playroom. Oh and my mom baked a special cake just for us! It has ice cream inside, isn't that cool?"

"Yea, really cool!" Junmyeon isn't convinced. Minseok has been acting strange and quiet all day. Maybe he didn't want to go to Junmyeon's house after all. But Minseok just shook his head and squeezes his hand.

"I'll tell you after we eat some of that yummy cake. Deal?"

"Deal!"

After three slices of ice cream cake each, Minseok breaks the news. He's moving.

Last time

It's the last day of school. It's the last day for a lot of things. Junmyeon cries twice. Once when, during Art period Chanyeol takes away his blue crayon. Again, when he and Minseok are playing together. All he can think of how this is it. After today he won't ever see Minseok. He doesn't want to lose his best friend. His first friend from school.

He dreads goodbyes. Minseok told him that he would be leaving early today so he sticks to his best friend like glue, eyes fearfully checking the clock on the wall. Minseok holds his hand just as tightly. He tells him how scared he is. He doesn't like change all that much. And he has to say goodbye to all his friends and Mr. K.

"You'll be ok, Minseok. Everyone loves you. Who wouldn't love you?" Minseok smiles weakly.

"You too. You'll be ok. There's still Jongin and Chanyeol. Oh and we can send letters to each other! I have your address!"

Mr. K approaches them and Junmyeon's heart sinks. He wishes his mommy was here to hug him. She gives the best hugs.

"Minseok, your parents are here to pick you up early. It's time to say goodbye. You take care of yourself." Minseok hugs Mr. K's legs before turning back to Junmyeon. He pretends not to see the tears on Minseok's face because he knows he has them too.

"Bye bye," Junmyeon whispers. Minseok wraps him up in one last hug. Junmyeon kisses his cheek one final time.

"Bye bye." And Minseok is out the door and out of Junmyeon's life. Jongin comes and hugs him till he stops crying.

"Don't cry, Junmyeon. Maybe you'll see him again someday."

"Yea, maybe." Maybe.