Provoked

Still

I opened the door and reluctanlty walked in. A strong stench of alcohol reached my nose, I walked into the living room, the curtains were closed sheilding the room from the sun. I could make out a dark figure passed out the floor...my Dad. An all too familiar sight, his heavy breathing filling up the room, even in his sleep he had an empty bottle of soju in one hand, still wearing the clothes he had left the house in last night. I lived at home on my own with my Dad, my Mother had passed when I was 6. My Mother had moved from London to Korea as part of an exchange programme with her University where she first met my Dad and ended up living here. I struggled to remember my Mum's face but I missed her dearly. My Dad an I had got on well together when we were young, he had been my role model and I looked up. But over the past few years all that started to changed. He had developed a harsh temper and lashed out at me over the smallest things. That was when my hate for my Dad began, he frequently had mood swings and spent all his money on drinking. I looked down at the bruises on my upper arm, I had tried many times to talk sense into my Dad, but it had never ended well. I let out a sigh and walked to my bedroom, stepping as quietly as I could, scared that I might wake him with every step. I put my bag down in my room and then walked to the kitchen, opening the fridge there was just an open can of beans, a dozen bottles of soju and 2 eggs. I would have to go out and do some grocery shopping soon. I fried myself an egg and realised there was a package on the table with my name. I teared it open and realised it was the new ram for my computer I had ordered. I always had an interest in technology and had a good eye for fixing things, it was something I pride myself in. Instead of spending money I didn't have on buying a new laptop I would buy new parts and update the hardware myself. I took the ram to my room ready to open up my computer and start fitting the new ram in when I heard a grunting noise from the other room. ''Oh '' I mumbled under my breath, he was awake.

I closed my door and carried on with my work, looking for my screwdriver in my draw. After unplugging my computer from the monitor and mains I laid it down of the floor and began to unscrew the screws at the back. Just as I had managed to remove part of the casing I heard a the sound of glass smashing and a yell of pain coming for the kitchen. I rushed downstairs to see what had happened. The floor was wet and scattered with glass, he had managed to break a bottle of soju. I looked at my Dad, his faces scrunched up in pain, I realised as I looked down the dumb had managed to drop the bottle onto his foot. He was grasping onto the counter and struggling to balance on one foot, small drops of blood were dripping onto the already wet floor.

''AAAHHH!! Quick do something!'' He shouted at me.

''Stop crying, It's just a small cut'' I replied lazily.I grabbed some kitchen tissue and walked towards him avoiding the broken glass and attempted to wrap his foot. The bleeding had already calmed down but he was still crying out in pain. He slowly placed his foot onto the floor.

''Grab me another!'''.

''Are you joking?? Don't you think you've had enough to drink, you've been passed out on the floor since I Ieft you this morning! How about you go out and get some proper food to eat!''

''DID YOU NOT HEAR ME! I SAID GIVE ME ANOTHER BOTTLE! How did I end up having to live with such an ungrateful daughter!''  He grabbed my arm, I winced in pain at the pressure on my already sore bruise. 

''Get off! You're hurting me dammit!!'' I tried to twist my arm out of his grasp but it was no use. his grip just tightened. I could easily of grabbed a nearby kitchen utensil to protect myself but I as much as I hated my Dad I never had the guts to hurt him. Instead I pushed him forcing him to balance on his injured foot. He gasped out in pain and loosened his grip, I used this chance to pull my arm out of his grasp and ran out of the kitchen. I couldn't stand being in this house, I needed to get out. I grabbed my penny board and left. It was a gift Bobby had given me a few weeks back for my Birthday, I used whenever I needed to escape form this hole. I hopped onto the board and kicked off till I was moving down the hill at high speed. I loved the freedom that the board gave me, feeling the wind against my face, the smooth wheels cruising below my feet. I had loosened the trucks on the board, it now responded effortlessly to my every movement as if it was reading my mind. I lightly placed my back heel on the floor, controlling the speed. Without my permission tears started to fall out of my eyes, I blamed the wind, I refused to cry over my ty excuse for a Father! I was about to turn the corner when

''Hey! Mia!'' I heard someone call from behind. I dug the heel of my trainer hard into the ground and skidded to a halt. I turned around, it was Bobby, he was wearing shorts and a tight Tshirt, he was panting as if he had been on a jog. Damn, you didn't want him to see you in the state you were in. You quickly turned your head and wiped your tears. As you looked back at him and tried to fake a smile you could tell in his face that he knew something was up. He didn't seem to want to ask any questions though, instead he just stood there staring at your face, almost with a look of helplessness that there was nothing he could do for you. You could feel more tears slowly flow down your cheeks.

Why do I have to cry in front of him I thought to myself, I hate this!

He walked towards me, I couldn't even look at him anymore. He slowly closed the gap between us more till he was so close that I could feel his hot breath against my face. He brought a hand up to my face and wiped away a  tear with his thumb. I couldn't do this anymore, I tried to take a step back but he pulled me into him and hugged me.

''It's okay'' He whispered into my ear ''I'm here''. I didn't resist, instead a stream of tears stared rolling down my cheeks and I started sobbing uncontrollably. I held onto him tight as if he was the only thing I had left.