Chapter 4

Mind Games

              

~ “Dammit.” She mumbled. “I broke…my promise.” ~

 

 

“We couldn’t find anything wrong with her.” The doctors had said to Yibo. He had immediately rushed Yona to the hospital after she lost consciousness, and demanded she be tended to immediately. Luckily, the hospital wasn’t too busy at the moment, so the nurses, humoring him, rushed Yona’s limp body through the halls on a gurney, gushing at how he ran beside them, his hand clamped over hers. “We’re guessing that she just passed out due to exhaustion, or maybe stress? Our best bet would be to give her some rest. She should be waking up within the next 5 to 10 minutes or so if you’d like to go in and see her.” Yibo let out a breath he didn’t even realize he was holding. Thanking the doctor, Yibo left the waiting room to go see Yona. She was still lying on the bed, unmoving. She almost looked to be asleep. He sat down on the chair next to her bed, resting his head on the mattress.

I wonder if she can hear me right now.

He stared at her face, receiving no response.

I don’t know if you’re listening right now or not, but I’m going to say…or think this anyways. You can like…tell me when you’re not feeling ok. For some absolutely insane reason, you make me want to take care of you I think. But you still drive me absolutely insane and really piss me off the majority of the time and are really annoying.

He blushed, his cheeks heating up the material beneath him.

I dunno. You know what, it’s totally cool if you’re not listening because that was extremely embarrassing like holy , wow. Let’s not have this conversation ever again.

He abruptly stood up, hoping to leave the room before she could awaken but he was stopped by the feeling of fingertips grazing against his.

Dammit.

He turned around to find Yona grinning up at him widely. He groaned. “Did you…?”

“Yep.” Her smile seemed to get brighter. “You know, you’re not exactly a walk in the park yourself, Wang Yibo.” He smacked his forehead. Really wanted to hit his head against the wall a couple of times. Yona giggled, lightly intertwining their fingers.

“Don’t do that silly, or you’ll end up in the same bed as me.” Yibo blushed. “I mean in this hospital bed, but hey, I’m fine with that too.” Yibo cleared his throat loudly over Yona’s laughter.

“Speaking of which, care to tell me how you ended up in this situation? We’re missing school because of you, you know.” Yona’s face became serious as she looked down, guilt creeping up on her.

“. I’m so sorry.” She looked up at Yibo, visibly upset. He looked taken aback by her apology.

“I’m just messing with you, it’s not that big of a deal. Yixuan will probably let us copy his notes so it’s whatever.”

“No, it’s not that.” She began to tear up. Yibo sat down beside her on the bed, placing his arm awkwardly around her in a manner that was meant to be comforting.

“Then what is it? Talk to me.”

“I…I broke my promise.” She paused to wipe her eyes. “I…read your mind even though I promised I wouldn’t until you decided you were comfortable with me.” He opened his mouth to speak but she cut him off, shaking her head frantically. “But I tried! I really did! I had my filter off and everything so that everyone else’s thoughts would drown yours out. I even did my best to not look at you for too long so that I wouldn’t accidentally hear anything. Do you know how hard it is to not look at someone you care so much about? It’s not easy. Even though everyone’s thoughts were loud and it started to hurt after a while, I figured it would all be worth it once you decided to come to me on your own. I didn’t want you to feel as though I was forcing my way in. I wanted it to be natural.” She finished, staring down at her hands. He was silent for a long while and she began to get nervous.

“So basically…it’s my fault you passed out?” His voice was quiet. She looked at him, confused. “The doctor said that you passed out because of exhaustion and stress. That was because you were straining yourself to please someone like me.” He looked so upset with himself, it broke Yona’s heart. She wanted to correct him, tell him she did it for the both of them, but one look at his face and she knew that he was going to be insistent on blaming himself. She sighed, knowing she just had to let himself get it all out. “I’m not going to lie, I’m a little mad at you for harming yourself, but you did it because of me. And I was too stupid to see that. I should have known, there were so many signs! It was so obvious something was wrong, I should have known!” He yelled, the arm that was around Yona gripped her tightly as if she was trying to leave. He turned to face her. “Yona, I’m , ok?” She shook her head, bringing her hands up to gently cup his face.

“No you’re not.” He laughed sadly.

“Yes. Yes I am. I’m absolute and my stupid ing brain can’t comprehend why someone as brilliant and beautiful as you would like something as worthless as me.”

“Don’t talk about yourself that way Yibo, please.”

“But I want you to know,” He continued on as though she hadn’t spoken. “I have problems. I’m ed up. It has nothing to do with you, so don’t ever blame yourself because I’m trash, ok? I…I just have all these issues that won’t go away, and I want to tell you about them, but I, I just can’t. And it’s not your fault.” He looked up, taking a deep breath to calm himself before lowering his eyes again to make contact with hers. He stared intensely at her.

I know I’m in no place to make any requests from you but please, please continue to listen to my thoughts. It’s the only way I can open up to you without having to actually open up. I’m a ing coward, and I’m taking a coward’s way out, but this is the only way I can get you to understand me. I’m not man enough for anything else.

Yona pulled Yibo in for a hug, cradling him near her chest. She held him, feeling so much sadness for this broken boy in her arms. She had no idea how to ease the pain he felt, how to make him feel better in the slightest. “I will care for you. No matter what. I really like you Yibo. Like…it’s scary but I think I’m falling in love with you. And I’m not saying that because I want a response or so that you’ll feel better, but I just want you to know that if all else fails, you have me.” Raising his face up so she could make eye contact with him, she stared at him, wishing he could read minds so he would know how sincere she was being. “It’s not much, but it’s something. I’m new to all this to be honest. I’ve never been in love before. But if you’ll have me, I’ll be all yours.” She placed a kiss on both of his cheeks, moving his head back down to her chest as she wrapped her arms around him once more. They sat there in silence, not moving an inch until the doctor came and told them it was ok for Yona to go home. And so they left, never letting go of each other the whole way back.

 

~~~~~~~

 

“Man, is he still moping around?” Yixuan asked Yona, exasperated. It had been two days since Yona had been in the hospital, and while she had come back all chipper and dandy, it was Yibo who seemed to be in a permanent little mood slump. One that was really pissing Yixuan off. He would make a comment to Yibo, and Yibo wouldn’t respond. He would poke fun at something Yibo had done and Yibo wouldn’t even bat an eyelash. It was like someone had interchanged his best friend for a lifeless lookalike doll, and it was really worrying him. And slightly creeping him out. Yona shrugged, not really sure of what to do either. She had tried words of encouragement, to which they seemed to go into one ear and out the other. She had tried berating him out of his mood to which he would just nod along and say he deserved her anger. She had tried giving him the silent treatment which seemed to have the best effect because she actually had him pouting at one point, which was more emotion than he had shown in while, but let’s be real. Yona couldn’t stay ignoring him for more than an hour and a half. And then he was back to his emotionless self.

“I don’t know what to do, honestly. Has he ever been like this before?” Yona asked in turn, wanting to find a way to fix whatever he was going through. Yibo was currently taking a bathroom break, so she and Yixuan had decided to put their heads together to figure out how to help their mutual friend. She hadn’t told Yixuan the whole story, but basically that Yibo felt like he wasn’t good enough for her, and she had tried to convince him otherwise but to no avail. Yixuan scratched his chin thoughtfully.

“No…not since I first met him at least. Maybe he just needs to get out for a bit.” Yixuan snapped his fingers as if he had just solved an equation. “Yeah, that’s it! I’ll call up the boys and we’ll go clubbing tonight!” He looked at her excitedly. “You’ll come, right?” She laughed at his giddiness, nodding.

“Sure, if Yibo goes.”

“Great! He hasn’t introduced you to the rest of the squad, has he?” Yona shook her head. “Ah, no worries. They’ll love you, trust.”

“If you say so.”

“I know so. What guy doesn’t love a pretty girl?” She giggled, hitting his arm as Yibo wandered back into the room, taking his seat between the two of them. Yona grabbed his hand, twisting their fingers together, and leaned against his arm as the lecture started.

Don’t worry Yibo. I’ll fix this.

 

~~~~~~

 

Yona and Yibo had begun to take a different bus route home, so as to avoid running into the same trouble as before. Once they reached his home, Yona got a text from Yixuan, saying ‘Don’t forget to ask Yibo about coming out tonight! Either he goes willingly, or we take him by force >:D’. Yibo sat down on his couch as Yona headed to the kitchen to wash her hands and prepare an afternoon snack for them. As she was towelling off her hands, Yibo came up behind her and rested his head on her shoulder. They rocked back and forth for a few moments before she turned around fully to hug him. “Tired?” She asked. He shook his head.

“No. I just…I don’t know how I feel.”

“Well, do you want to know what I think would make you feel better?” She paused, making sure she had his full attention. “I think we should go to a club tonight.” He frowned. She was usually content with them staying in and watching a movie, or napping together. She had never wanted to go out before.

“I don’t really want to.” Letting go of him, to which his frown deepened at the loss of contact, she walked over the cupboard, pulling out the food items she was going to use. He trailed behind her like a puppy.

“I think it would be good for you.” She stated, busying herself with the food. He chewed on the inside of his cheek, not wanting to refuse her, but really not wanting to go out and socialize either. He shifted his weight, thinking of the right words to say.

I really don’t think clubbing will do much for me.

“Your friends will be there.” He looked at her back suspiciously.

How would you know?

“Yixuan told me. We both want you to go.”

Oh, so that’s what you guys were plotting when I came back from the bathroom.

She sighed, turning around. “We weren’t plotting.” She walked over to lightly tap his nose before walking past. “We were strategizing.” He followed after her, groaning.

Please don’t make me go.

She stopped, waiting for him to catch up to her. He stood, facing her backside, resting his chin atop her head. “Alright, fine. You don’t have to go.”

“Really?” He perked up slightly. She smirked evilly, although he couldn’t see it.

“Mhmm.”

“You’re the best.”

“I know. But clubbing tonight doesn’t actually sound so bad to me, so you can stay here while I go with your friends. It’ll be a good chance for me to get to know each and every one of them very personally.” Her voice had a sultry tone to it that didn’t go unnoticed by Yibo’s ears. He pouted softly, not liking that idea. “Oh, and I’ll probably be drunk. But it’s ok, I’m sure Yixuan will take care of me, plus I’m a very friendly drunk so it’ll be fine.” He wrapped his arms around her waist.

…I’ll go too.

“Excellent.” She turned in his arms to place a kiss on his cheek. “Food’s ready and your friends will be here in an hour.” Moving out of his hold to head upstairs, she took her cellphone out, responding to Yixuan’s text.

‘Got him. See you guys soon.’

 

~~~~~~~

 

An hour later, much to Yibo’s dismay, his friends were all squished onto his 2 seater couch, and Yona smiled at how they hadn’t even protested to sitting on each other’s laps. She found their friendship to be endearing.

“So.” One of the boys who was actually sitting on the couch began. “You going to introduce us to your girlfriend?” The question was directed at Yibo who simply blushed and looked away, mumbling his response.

“S-she’s not exactly my g-girlfriend.” Yona smiled over at him. She didn’t care what label their relationship had as long as they were together. She stood up, waving her hand.

“I’m Yona. Yibo’s…close companion.” That earned a snicker from Yixuan. “Nice to meet you all.”

“Hi Yona.” They replied in unison. She nodded, impressed.

“Guess I’ll start then.” The one who had asked the question earlier raised his hand. “I’m Sung Joo, but you can call me Joo.” He winked at her. She giggled. The boy sitting on Sung Joo’s lap raised his hand next.

“I’m Wen Han. Feel free to create a good nick name for me.” She nodded, ideas of what she could call him running through her mind.

“Do that later, I still have to introduce myself.” The boy sitting on Yixuan’s lap complained. “I’m Seung Yeon and yeah you can call me anything. As long as it’s not offensive.” He smiled widely at Yona who returned it.

“Great, now that we’re all friends, who’s ready to break it down tonight?” Yixuan hollered, earning cheers from the other boys sitting with him. Yona clapped her hands excitedly, while Yibo, who stood beside her protectively, let out a deep sigh.

“We should come back early. We have school tomorrow.” He deadpanned. Everybody else in the room groaned.

“Come on Yibs.” Seung Yeon chucked a pillow in his direction which he let bounce off of him.

Yibs?

Yona thought to herself, chuckling.

That’s cute as , I’m stealing that one.

“Don’t be such a Danny Downer!”

“I’m not being a downer, I’m being realistic.”

“No.” Wen Han jumped in. “You’re being pessimistic. That’s different.”

“Yeah, come on. We’re going out for you.” Yixuan pouted, and the other boys joined in with a chorus of “please” and “come on”. Yona tugged on his hand, looking up at him with large, teary eyes. He closed his eyes, rubbing his hand across his face.

“Don’t look at me like that. I never said I wasn’t going to go.” The boys cheered once more, standing up to head out.

“Then what are we waiting for?” Sung Joo looked across the room mischievously. Seung Yeon hopped up and down on the spot like an energizer bunny.

“LET’S GET TURNT!”

 

~~~~~~~

 

Yibo soon came to realize that Yona wasn’t kidding when she had said she was a very friendly drunk. She took turns dancing with each and every one of his friends, and at one point even managed to find her way into a dance circle composed of them and a few other randoms who just wanted a show. But her dancing wasn’t ty. On the contrary, she was really good. Her dance moves attracted quite a few on lookers who, Yibo noticed with a bit of agitation, were mostly male. But even though she was drunk, she kept her eyes on him for the majority of her dancing, and though he sat at the bar while she was in the middle of the dance floor, it felt as though she were putting on a show for just him. She would whip her hair around, sway her hips to the beat, point at him and make a hooking motion with her fingers to which he would just shake his head no as politely as he could. He didn’t want to ruin her night, she seemed as though she was genuinely having a good time. He looked over at her as the song Yonce by Beyonce began to play. Her eyes widened and she ran over to Yixuan, whispering something to him. He smirked and nodded, raising some suspicion from Yibo.

Just what are they up to?

He realized Yona was looking over at him. She smiled, mouthing back the words, “You’ll see.”

Queen B’s voice began to sound out from the speakers as Yona began to dance, locking eyes with Yibo.

See me up in the club with 50-leven girls

Posted in the back diamond fangs in my grill

Yona began to gyrate her hips from side to side.

Brooklyn brim with my eyes sittin' low

Every boy in here with me got that smoke

She walked over to Yixuan, still looking at Yibo, and placed a hand on his shoulder, making a full circle around him.

And every girl in here gotta look me up and down

On the word ‘down’ Yona turned and squatted to the floor, slowly standing back up, her barely grazing against Yixuan. Yibo watched intently.

All on Instagram, cake by the pound

Circulate the image every time I come around

G's up, tell me how I'm lookin' babe

She pushed Yixuan away, backing away from him while shaking her hands down her body.

Boy, this all for you, just walk my way

Just tell me how it's lookin' babe

Tell me how it's lookin' babe

She walked towards him, her chest popping to the beat as his eyes followed their movement.

I do this all for you, baby, just take aim

And tell me how it's lookin', babe (how it's looking)

And tell me how I'm lookin', babe (lookin' babe)

She raised up an imaginary gun and fired it at him, blowing the smoke off it, and turned around to walk back to the other side of the room, adding extra sway into her hips as she knew Yibo was watching.

Drop the bass mayne, the bass get lower

Radio say, "Speed it up", I just go slower

High like treble, puffin' on them mids

The man ain't ever seen a booty like this

Yona grabbed the wall and began to slowly roll her hips around, making her move around in a very enticing manner. Yibo’s eyes became as large as saucers as she dropped down, making her booty bounce on the way back up. She turned around, bit her lip and turned it into a smirk while winking at him. Yibo stood up abruptly, adjusted his pants and headed off towards the bathroom. He needed a breather from Yona’s show. That, or a cold shower.

And why you think you keep my name rollin' off the tongue?

Cause when you wanna smash, I just write another one

I sneezed on the beat and the beat got sicker

Yoncé all on his mouth like liquor.

The music continued to play on behind him and his mind wandered as he could only imagine what the rest of her little routine would have looked like.

“You don’t need to imagine.” Her voice came from behind him. He jumped, turning around. His back hit  the wall behind him hard.

“You sound a lot more sober than I thought you would.” He tried to joke as she eyed him hungrily. She smirked.

“Seeing you get all hot and bothered because of me sobered me up real quick.” He blushed furiously, looking away then back at her.

“What’s wrong?” He asked, unnerved by her piercing gaze.

“What do you mean?” Yona her lips, slowly trailing her eyes down his body. He gulped, chuckling nervously.

“I mean, you look like you want to eat me…or something…” Yibo trailed off as he noticed her smile grow wider and more devious. She took a step towards him, pushing him further back into the wall. Leaning in to lightly the shell of his ear, she blew hot breath into it before letting out a husky whisper.

“Who said I didn’t want to?” She boldly and firmly grabbed between his legs. He shuddered helplessly against her touch and that was when he knew. He had inclinations before but it was never as clear as it currently was. This whole time, she had been holding the reins of their relationship. He was under her control. And as much as it scared him to come to terms with it… he knew he wanted more. 

 

 

A/N I didn't proof read this chapter by the way. It was exhausting to write, I don't know why because it's not even that long. Haha, the next chapter is going to be a little steamy, if you know what I mean ;) ~