Chapter 2

Mind Games

                                  

~ “I’m a mind reader.” ~

Yibo stared blankly at the smiling black girl in front of him. He took all of her in, from her unusual white braids to her long black painted finger-nails adorned with a multitude of rings.

She’s still smiling at me.

He noted. She giggled. “I’m waiting for you to respond silly.” His face cracked into a smile and he slowly brought his hands up to cup her cheeks. He felt her cheeks warm under his touch.

“I could just kiss you right now.” He stated, gazing into her eyes. She squealed happily, placing her hands over his.

“Yay, you’re taking this so much better than I thought you would!” She giggled. He joined in, his laughter much heartier than hers. A few seconds passed and although she had already finished laughing, he was still going with even more zeal than before. “Yibo?” She inquired, his laughter never dying down. “Yibo, are you good?” He finally stopped and looked down at her, his eyes widening hysterically.

“Good? I’m great!” He yelled, squeezing her cheeks. She winced, slightly in pain. “This whole time I truly, truly believed that there was something wrong with me. That maybe I was going crazy. But you darling, oh no you? You’ve shown me that I was fine all along, instead, it’s you that’s bat insane! HA HA HA!” Yona sighed, prying his hands off her face while he continued to laugh.

“Yibo, chill out. Neither of us are crazy.”

“You just told me that you’re a mind reader. You expect me to believe you’re not crazy?” Yibo chuckled to himself. Yona placed her hands on her hips.

“I’ll prove it. Try me. Think of a phrase and I’ll repeat it back to you, word for word.” Yibo narrowed his eyes at her.

“…Fine.”

I’ll just think of a phrase and if she somehow gets it right, I’ll say it was something else.

Yona sighed, shaking her head. “First, that won’t work because you just told me what you’re going to do. Second, even if you switch the phrase, I’ll still hear you and recite that one back to you instead. Face it, I’m a mind reader.”

“That’s impossible and I don’t believe you.”

“Oh really? Then what about yesterday? When you were clearly upset because no one would give you a seat on the bus so you decided to try and take your anger out on me even though I tried to be nice to you? How else would I know that you were going to try and my, and I quote, ‘begging to be grabbed’ ?” Yona finished, challenging him to oppose her. He stammered, having forgot about his very lustful thoughts towards her the previous day. Blushing, he looked away.

“T-that doesn’t matter. Look, even if you can read minds or some stupid like that, none of that is my problem and I don’t have to deal with it. So why don’t you just go live your life and I’ll go live mine.” He began to walk away, heading off into the direction of his university. Hearing the clack of footsteps behind him, he turned around, nearly knocking the poor girl out. “Did you not hear what I just said? Stop following me!”

“Did you not hear what I said? I transferred to your university yesterday and I don’t know how to get there. So I kinda have to follow you, like it or not.” Yibo’s eye twitched before he stomped off again, the sound of footsteps behind him echoing loudly in his ear.

.

“I heard that.”

 

~~~~~~

 

As luck would have it, Yona had the exact same schedule as Yibo, much to his dismay. He tried avoiding her, but it was hard to do when she was literally everywhere he was. All the time. “Hey.” One of Yibo’s few friends, Yixuan nudged him in the side. “Who’s that hot girl? She’s waving at you like she knows you man, I didn’t know you had any hot chick friends.” Yibo was in his last class of the day, and of course, Yona was there too, a few rows in front of him. He covered his face and sunk deeper down into his seat.

“That’s because I don’t. She’s just some psycho that’s been following me around.” He hissed, wishing Yixuan would stop checking her out. It annoyed him for some reason.

“Ok but for a psycho, she’s pretty attractive. If you don’t want to go for her, I will.” He waved back at Yona, smiling flirtatiously.

“You. Will. Not.” Yibo growled, pushing Yixuan’s hand down, out of Yona’s sight.

“Chill man, what’s your problem? You said you weren’t into her.” Eyeing his friend with suspicion, Yixuan smiled knowingly. “Yet you’re totally jealous.”

“I-I am not jealous!” Yibo stammered. Yixuan sat back in his seat.

“Well you better figure it out soon because she’s coming over.” Yibo turned around, coming face to face with a smiling Yona.

“Can I sit here?” She smiled cutely at Yibo who shook his head no. Before he could say anything, Yixuan piped up.

“Of course. We’d never say no to a girl as pretty as you, right Yibo?” Yixuan spoke smoothly, roughly elbowing Yibo in the side. Yibo glared at Yixuan, not saying anything as he leaned back in his seat.

Well if she’s a mind reader then I don’t have to say anything for her to know she’s not welcome here.

Taking a seat beside Yibo, Yona leaned in close, whispering in his ear. “Doesn’t matter.”

“Did you say something?” Yixuan looked over at the two, giving Yona flirty eyes.

“Oh nothing.” She batted her eyelashes at him.

“Can you guys get a room please?” Yibo growled, annoyed that they were openly hitting on each other in front of him.

“Oh dear.” Yona smirked. “You sound jealous. You should already know that I don’t have eyes for anyone but you.” Yibo’s eyes widened, a blush forming across his cheeks. Yixuan laughed, grinning appreciatively at the girl beside his friend.

“I like you! Yibo, you didn’t mention that she’s awesome.” Turning his attention towards Yona once more, he winked at her. “Well if you and Yibo don’t work out, you could always give me a shot.” Yona giggled, leaning over Yibo to playfully slap Yixuan’s arm.

“That’s enough.” Yibo stood abruptly, knocking Yona back. “If you two won’t get a room, then I’ll just give you space. I came here to learn, not to ing witness an eHarmony meet up.” He stormed out of the room. Yona and Yixuan stared after him before looking at each other and bursting out laughing. When the laughter died down, Yixuan smiled at Yona.

“You know, he must really like you.” Yona shrugged, honestly unsure of his feelings towards her. “For real, he usually just acts really distant and closed off towards people. Everyone at this university calls him the ice prince. He’s actually really sassy though, but you’d never know unless he lets you know, you feel? And even though he acts this way now, any emotion from him is a good thing. He rarely shows people this side of him.” Yona nodded, feeling reassured from his words.

“Thank you. You’re a good friend.” Yixuan blushed lightly and scratched the back of his head.

“But really though. If you ever want to take a break from him, my arms are wide open.” Yona chuckled, leaning in to place a kiss on his cheek.

“I’ll keep that in mind. I’m going to go look for him, but I’ll see you around.” Yona rose up, heading towards the doors. “Later Yixuan!” He waved absentmindedly, his hand lingering over the place where her lips had been.

Wait, how did she know my name? I guess Yibo must have mentioned me to her, what a great guy.

 

~~~~~~~

 

“This is some stupid .” Yibo muttered under his breath.

Great, now I’m going to miss this lecture and I’ll probably have to ask that prick Yixuan for notes, dammit.

“Or you could just come back to class.”

Yeah right! There’s no way in hell I’m going back there while those two are borderline ing in front-

Yibo screamed, startled as he noticed Yona sitting beside him. Regaining his composure, he glared at Yona while clutching his chest dramatically. “Can you not do that?” She blinked.

“Do what?”

“Sneak up on me like that!” Yona smiled.

“I didn’t sneak up on you. I said something.”

“Yeah, you were responding to what I was thinking because you’re a ing mind reader, and a weirdo because I wasn’t exactly expecting someone to be reading my ing thoughts!”

“Oh so now I’m a mind reader huh?” She grinned slyly at him. He rubbed his hand over his face, exasperated.

“You know what? Sure. I really don’t care anymore. I’m honestly too tired to fight this . You could tell me that you were actually born a unicorn and right now, I’d believe you.” She shrugged, content with his answer. The two sat in silence for a few moments before she giggled, causing him to look over at her. “What’s so damn funny?”

“You. You’re really interesting.” He frowned at her. “And no, I’m not mocking you, I’m being honest. When I first heard your thoughts, you were so violent and expressive and truthful with your feelings, it was a bit overwhelming. But then when I actually talked to you out loud, you were like a whole different person, quiet and seemingly composed. It was cute.”

“Yeah well, who I am is nobody’s business.” Giving her a pointed look, he added, “Yours included.”

“But you’ve already let me in Yibo.”

“You kinda forced your way in, I wasn’t given much of a choice.” She shrugged. “Well since you know oh so much about me, and since at this very moment, for some crazy reason I seem to believe you when you say you can read minds, I’ve got some questions for you.”

“Shoot.” He paused to eye her thoughtfully.

“Why can you read minds?”

“I dunno, I was just born this way.” He nodded.

“Fair enough. How does it work?”

“What do you mean?”

“Like, doesn’t it get annoying hearing all these random voices all the time?”

“It probably would, but I’ve learned to control it. I can filter my hearing now, I can choose to either hear many voices at once, or I can choose to hear only the voice of the person I am looking at.”

“So wait, if you’re not looking at me, you can’t hear my thoughts?”

“Yes, if I’m filtering my hearing. But when I came to look for you, I had to listen to everyone’s thoughts so I could pick out which one was yours and find you. No offense, but you think really loudly.” She giggled.

“Well sorry, I’ll try to use my indoor voice every time I think to what should be myself.” He rolled his eyes. She smiled at his attitudes.

“It’s ok, honestly it’s just another thing about you that makes you cute.” He looked away as his cheeks warmed up. “For someone so erted, you sure do blush easily.”

“S-shut up. You don’t even blush in the slightest, you have no sense of shame.”

“Sure I do! It’s just that you can’t see it on my dark skin, duh.”

“…In all seriousness, you need to stop playing around with me.” She cocked her head to the side, lost.

“Playing with you like how?”

“Like all of this weird flirting with me, then flirting with my friends stuff! It’s confusing and I don’t like it.”

“Oh. But I’m not playing around with you.” Yona leaned in closer to Yibo, whose heart rate was steadily increasing. “I don’t know what it is about you Yibo, but I’ve fallen for you. Hard. And I do everything in my power to get what I want.” She crawled onto his lap, straddling him.

“No exceptions.”

 

 

 

A/N Hope you enjoyed this chappie! Comment and subscribe if you please <3 ~