Chapter 1

Mind Games

I'm so ing tired.

Yibo thought to himself. His whole body ached, he had had a long day at university and had hoped to arrive early enough to the bus station so he could be one of the first in line and get a seat instead of having to stand. Unfortunately, he had run into some troubles that had caused him to take a detour around town so by the time he got to the station, the bus was pulling away from the stop. He had to chase it down for two blocks before the driver finally noticed him and slowed enough for him to board. Even then, though the other passengers saw his struggles, not one person even offered to give the poor, sweaty, out of breath boy a seat, and he was instead forced to stand, his arm losing feeling from holding onto the overhead rail lest he risk falling without it.

God, people are so selfish sometimes.

He thought to himself, growling lowly under his breath. This seemed to catch the attention of the young woman standing slightly in front of him as she peered at him from over her shoulder. She gave him a small sympathetic look as if she knew exactly how pissed he was.

Keh, this doesn't know about me, why is she trying to act all smiles and friendly? I don't need your sympathy!

He yelled in his mind, his face remaining neutral. The woman flinched slightly as if she heard something loud and she looked away, frowning.

That's better.

 Yibo sneered to himself.

 Dunno what her problem is though, she looked fine before but now she looks like someone kicked her in the ovaries.

 The woman turned away from Yibo fully and he felt a slight sense of regret at her movement.

...she seems annoying but she was actually kinda cute.

 His eyes trailed down her body resting at her backside.

And damn. That though, for real.

He his lips in appreciation. The woman shifted slightly.

 I mean, that is just begging to be grabbed.

 He peered out the window, noticing they were almost at his stop. He smirked inwardly.

You know what? I've worked hard today. I think I deserve a little reward some way or another. And if she gets mad or starts complaining I'll just tell her it was an accident or some other bull. Yeah.

 Looking around to make sure that everybody was engrossed enough in their own conversations and activities to not notice him, he slowly reached his hand out, ready to feel a plump, soft . Out of nowhere, the woman's hand shot out behind her, locking Yibo’s wrist in a firm grasp.

"What the?" Yibo yelled, startled at almost being caught. He tried to pull back but the woman kept her hand locked around his as she slowly turned around to look at him, a tense smile on her face. "L-let go of me!" he hissed, mortification written all over his face. The woman ignored his protests, looking pointedly over at the now open bus doors.

"I believe," she began, her voice pure velvet to Yibo’s reddening ears, "that this is your stop. Am I correct?" Yibo almost passed out. Regaining his senses, he snatched his hand back to his side, openly glaring at her.

"How would you know that?" She smiled at him, causing his blush to deepen.

"Lucky guess." Yibo stared at her with suspicion and mostly guilt. She cleared . "You know, the bus won't stay here forever..." Yibo cursed and saw that the doors were indeed beginning to close. Rushing over to the exit, he gave the woman one last wary look before getting off onto his street. As the bus drove away, he made eye contact with her. She slowly shook her head at him, a small smile on her lips as the bus rounded the corner, out of sight.

 There's no way she could have known I was about to cop a feel. So then why did she give me that look?

Yibo frowned, feeling thoroughly spooked before deciding to drop it and head into his house.

 

~~~~~~

 

Or so he thought. Try as he might, Yibo just couldn’t shake the weird feeling the cute girl from the bus had given him. He was so shaken by what had happened that he stayed up all night as a result, trying to put his mind at ease. Finally, at 7 am when his alarm clock went off, he grudgingly got up from his bed, took the batteries out of the offending device and chucked them out of the window. A cat’s hiss was faintly heard as he slammed the window shut, resting his head against the cool glass.

He considered staying home. He really did. But he knew that if he didn’t attend his classes today, he’d be overwhelmed by the amount of work he would have to do to catch up. A very tiny, very miniscule part of him also wanted to see the girl from yesterday. Partially because he wanted to figure out just what it was about her that gave him such a weird feeling. And partially because, well, she was pretty hot. Stumbling into his bathroom to wash his face, he stared into the mirror at his reflection.

I look like .

He deadpanned, mushing his face together between his hands. His eyes were blood shot, his face an unusual gray color with very dark bags under his eyes and with the way his hair was looking, he knew it was going to be a downhill battle to tame it.

This is all because of that weird girl. I hope I never see her again… Ok that’s a lie.

Yibo brushed his teeth, changed his shirt, gave up on his hair and pulled a beanie over it before heading outside to the bus stop.

But let’s be real. Ever since I met her, something’s been off. I don’t know what it is, but she’s just another girl so who cares. I mean, she’s cute, but she isn’t that cute.

 

~~~~~~

 

As it turns out, she was that cute. Yibo internally faced palmed himself as he walked onto the bus only to instantly spot her standing in the same place as yesterday. A blush rose to his cheeks as she looked over at him and smiled sweetly.

What is it with this girl?

Unfortunately for him, although he wanted nothing more than to be as far away from her as possible, the bus was packed tight and the only place for him to stand was, of course, right beside her. His stomach dropped as he made his way over and she gave him a once over before giggling to herself.

Now that’s just rude.

Yibo stared down at her, anger rising up within him although he kept his face a calm as possible. “Sorry ma’am but is something about me funny?” He asked her, his voice monotonous as that’s how he usually spoke to others. She looked him in the eyes, amusement written in her dark brown orbs.

”Interesting.” She mumbled to herself, seeming to forget that he had asked her a question. He felt his hand clench and unclench subconsciously.

She dumb or what? I don’t care how cute she is, if she mocks me one more damn time I’ll-

“Easy tiger. And we’re the same age so you don’t have to call me ma’am.” She smiled up at him. He frowned at her, confused. He was certain he wasn’t outwardly showing his anger so how did she know he was upset? And how did she know they were the same age? She giggled again, leaning up to whisper in his ear. “If it counts for anything, I think you’re really cute too.” Yibo got a chill up his spine. Not because of how y she sounded whispering in his ear…alright a little bit because of that, but mostly because he had never told her he thought she was cute! How was she figuring him out like this? It unnerved him to no end, he usually kept himself closed off from other people and wore a mask of indifference for the world to see but suddenly this girl shows up out of nowhere and sees right through him. He shifted uncomfortably, feeling extremely under her gaze.

Maybe it’s best if I just ignore her. And start taking a different bus. After this ride is over, I’m going to make it my mission to never see her again.

Yibo could have sworn he heard her giggle softly and that giggle sounded suspiciously like “challenge accepted.” But he just blamed it on his lack of sleep and ignored the cold sweat running down his back.

 

~~~~~~

 

The bus finally came to a stop a few blocks away from Yibo’s university. He practically sprinted out and felt as though he could breathe again. Until he felt someone tap on his shoulder. Slowly turning around, he was met with that same unnerving smile.

“Hi.” She stuck her hand out for him to shake. He didn’t take it. “I’m Yona.” She tried again. He sighed.

She probably expects me to tell her my name is Yibo eh? Well, not gunna happen.

 She smiled brightly at him. “No need.” He looked at her strangely. “Yibo, was it? Yona and Yibo, has a nice ring to it, don’t you think?” His face paled as he took a step back from her.

“How, how did you…?” He gasped, finding it hard push air into his lungs. She gave him a weird look.

“What are you talking about? You told me silly!”

“W-we’ve never met before! Are you stalking me?” Yibo slowly crouched over, his hands on his knees. He felt as though the world was collapsing in on him. She bent over beside him, patting him on the back soothingly.

“Of course not. Are you ok though, you don’t look so good.”

“Get away from me!” He yelled, pushing her away only to stumble to the floor himself. Yona looked around, mildly embarrassed.

“Yibo please. You’re causing a scene.”

“HOW DO YOU KNOW MY NAME, ANSWER ME!”

“Because you told me!”

“YOU’RE LYING, I’VE NEVER MET YOU BEFORE.”

“I am not a liar! You told me.” Yona insisted, walking over to the panic ridden boy. She pulled him up to his feet, wrapping an arm around his waist to steady him. “Now if you don’t mind, can you please take me to our university? I just transferred here yesterday so I’m not quite sure how to get there on my own.” She moved her arm to interlock it with his.

“How do you know which university I go to?” He whispered, feeling as though he were in some kind of nightmare that he couldn’t wake up from. Yona rolled her eyes, giving him a look.

“Like I said, you already told me all this stuff.” That was it. That was Yibo’s breaking point. He yanked his arm from hers and roughly grabbed her shoulders, shaking her back and forth as her attacked her with a slew of questions.

“WHO ARE YOU? WHY DO YOU KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT ME? ARE YOU STALKING ME? WHY ARE YOU STALKING ME? WHAT DO YOU WANT? WHEN DID I EVER OPEN MY MOUTH AND TELL YOU ANY OF THIS STUFF??” WHEN-”

“Ohhh.” Yona interrupted him, her eyes going wide as if she finally realized why he was so confused. “Well that’s simple, you never opened your mouth and told me per se.” Yibo stared at her, not understanding where she was going with this. “You told me up here!” She tapped the side of his head. He stared blankly at her. “You said it in your mind and I heard you.”

This is crazy.

Yona looked very offended. “That’s extremely rude of you Yibo, I heard that too.” When Yibo continued to stare blankly at her, she rolled her eyes slapping him lightly on the arm. “Yibo, I read your mind.” She smiled shyly.  

“I’m a mind reader.”

 

 

A/N So. Yeah. What are you guys maybe possibly thinking right now? Wait, wait wait, I'll just get Yona to come tell me ;) ~

Comment and subscribe because I love you all dearly. <3