‘You were the only one at the party who understood my movie reference' AU

Honestly Embarrassing

it was a classy party. woohyun still doesn’t know the exact reason why he’s here, or what he’s supposed to do. but he’s here, dressed in a nice neat dress suit that’s a little big on him but that’s ok, it’s not as if everyone here is perfectly dressed to the nines. the men are all in black dress suits, most of them poorly fitted, so woohyun would say he fits in just nicely with the crowd. only one guy stood out.

as if his red hair isn’t conspicuous enough, he’s wearing a most likely tailored suit. woohyun doesn’t know who he is so he doesn’t know the importance of this guy, but he seems very very important. the older businessmen will stop and nod at the guy, some look nervous to even talk to him.

what makes it weirder is woohyun’s mother keeps stepping behind woohyun whenever the VIP walks past, and nudges woohyun hard in the back, whispering frantically at him to go talk to the man. woohyun stands his ground. in normal circumstances, when they aren’t surrounded by high-brow rich people at a fancy party where even the men wear heels, woohyun would push his mother back. right now, she’s apparently a semi important person and woohyun is her supposed companion, so he has to make her look good.

“i brought you here so you can talk to him, be a good son and listen to me.” woohyun’s mother hisses as the important man passes by yet again.

woohyun wants to be a good son, sure, but he doesn’t see why he has to talk to an attractive- um, successful man. he’ll just say something stupid or irrelevant, and look like a fool instead of making his mom look good. he begins to explain his rationale when the man looks over at them. woohyun freezes, and his mother takes the chance to push him forward, which makes him stumble a bit.

in front of the man, woohyun grins and prays that he doesn’t look like a dope. “hello.”

thankfully, the man grins back. “hello. i wanted to say hi to you earlier on.” his grin grows wider as he leans in as if to tell woohyun a secret. woohyun finds himself leaning forward as well. “because we’re the only 2 people under 30 here.”

“oh.” woohyun grins back. “yeah, my mom brought me with her. you know how ladies need accessories to make themselves look better. my name is nam woohyun.”

“chairman nam is your mother?” the man’s eyes widen. “oh, may i say hi to her too?”

“yeah, sure, she’s-” woohyun turns, and sees no sign of his mother. “she was behind me.”

“i must have missed her.” the man says, looking almost troubled. “oh, i forgot to introduce myself. i’m kim sunggyu.” he holds out a hand to woohyun to shake.

“nice to meet you.” woohyun takes sunggyu’s hand, and doesn’t want to let go. sunggyu’s hand is warm, and soft, and smooth like baby’s skin. woohyun holds it tighter, looks down at their hands to check. no ring, good, good. when he looks up again, sunggyu is giving him a curious smile, eyes signalling to their joined hands. woohyyun remembers with a start, and he lets go too quickly and suddenly, the back of his hand knocks the champagne glass from sunggyu’s other hand.

the glass shatters on the floor, champagne splattering on both their shoes. the partygoers immediately turn to stare.

the parties woohyun frequents don’t serve clear champagne in tall glasses. alcohol woohyun is used to usually comes in a green can, easily crushable and thrown against walls. the parties he goes to usually allow that kind of behaviour too. he tries to salvage the situation now, and his immediate reaction is to throw his own champagne glass to the marble floor, eliciting shocked screams or gasps from the ladies.

“another!” woohyun roars. and then he grins at the party around them. no one matches him with a laugh or smile. he turns back to sunggyu and at least he is trying hard not to laugh, smile stretching his tight lips. “that was… thor…”

“yeah, i got it.” sunggyu’s eyes are pretty, twinkling with mirth.

woohyun should be embarrassed, but he really can’t get himself to.