Protect Your Happiness [1/?]

A Prince and a Servant

"He's beauty. He's grace. He'll punch you in the face."

These words spoken about Byun Baekhyun, the fox prince, were anything but a lie as a groaning man trudged his way towards the Byun's castle doors in an attempt to leave quickly. The man had simply frustrated Baekhyun by winking flirtatiously and sending him some very suggestive looks. As a result, he received a hard punch from none other than Baekhyun himself and a severely bruised cheek that would probably last about a good two weeks.

"How dare you think of me like that! I am not interested in a person like you. Hey, why are you running away from me sir? Come back here, I'm not done speaking with you!" the fluffy prince yelled at the escaping man.

The fox prince was usually a bright and happy person, but at the moment he was fuelled with rage. He stomped back to his luxurious throne and seated himself quietly. To calm down his own anger, Baekhyun picked up his white-frosted tail and began to hug it. Many people thought it was weird that the fox prince would hug his own tail in seek of comfort, but Baekhyun found his tail-hugging habit to be calming sedative.

Once he was in a tranquil state of mind he let out a long sigh. It had been a long day for everyone inside the Byun's castle. Baekhyun had been searching for a personal servant that would follow all of his commands and was at least a respectable person, but so far all of the interviews held for his personal servant position turned out to be a failure. It was now nearing two o'clock in the afternoon and he was getting tired. Soon the interviews would have to stop due to Baekhyun's scheduled naptime which was at three o'clock sharp.

Baekhyun summoned one of the maids to let in the next person for the interview. Suddenly a tall man with charcoal colored hair entered the spacious room. The young man was dressed as a commoner, but he presented him self quite nicely. Baekhyun froze as he gaped at the handsome man. He couldn't deny that this man was attractive.

"Um, my name is Park Chanyeol. I'm here for the interview. You're the fox prince, Byun Baekhyun. Am I correct your highness?"

Chanyeol looked up at Baekhyun's green eyes. His green eyes were vibrant as they glowed due to the sunlight coming from one of the windows. Chanyeol had never seen the famous fox prince, but he had heard news going around the village like wildfire that the fox prince was the most beautiful male thoughout the whole land a few weeks ago. There were also rumors that said the fox prince had the ability to emit light from his hands due to the fact that he had received this power from his ancestors, but Chanyeol wasn't sure if that rumor was true.

Baekhyun eyed him from his throne. Chanyeol was in need of a job for quite a while now, and that was when Baekhyun's personal servant proposal came up today. He immediatly rushed to the Byun's castle in hopes that the interviews for the job position were still being held, but he hadn't had time to make himself look formal. Chanyeol hoped he looked at least somewhat presentable in Baekhyun's eyes.

Baekhyun, who was still staring at Chanyeol, regained his composure and began to speak formally.

"Yes, you are correct. I am Byun Baekhyun. I have a few questions for the interview, so please answer honestly."

Chanyeol nodded curtly as the interview began. He tried to quiet down his nerves beacuse he really needed this job position.

"So, Chanyeol are you willing to obey my commands as my personal servant?" Baekhyun asked with a stoic expression.

The prince's expression made Chanyeol feel inferior even though he himself was taller than the prince.

"I will follow your orders if they seem reasonable to follow, your highness."

Chanyeol watched patiently and let out a small sigh of relief when Baekhyun nodded in approval of his answer.

"Onto the second question. Are you willing to live in this castle and tend to my care needs whenever I need you?"

Wait, if Chanyeol wanted this job it meant that he would be required to live here? His mind thought about the pros and cons of having this job and decided that it wasn't a big deal if he lived at the Byun's castle. Even though he had to take care of his mother, he could always send her the money he made. After Chanyeol thought about his decision he spoke up again.

"I am willing to live in this castle, and I will tend to your care needs whenever you need me, your highness."

"Have you participated in any criminal activity?"

"I have not done any crimes, your highness."

All of Chanyeol's responses were polite, formal, and ended with your highness. Chanyeol was confident that he would get the job, but there was a part of him that felt a bit unsure.The interview went on for about thirty more minutes until Baekhyun brought the interview to an end.

"I will now think about my decision on whether or not you should have my job offering since I have no further questions to ask."

The taller man anxiously waited for the prince's response. Baekhyun was silent for a few moments as he thought about his decision. Chanyeol was definitely a respectable person, and he had agreed to the questions and qualifications Baekhyun has asked. 

Soon he looked at Chanyeol with his emotionless expression replaced with a joyful smile. Baekhyun's serious facade disappeared as he turned into a delightful and squealful fox.

"Chanyeol, you are now my personal servant. Hopefully we can get along well with each other. I can't wait to show you around the castle! " the prince said excitedly as he leaped off of his throne and began to quickly walk towards the other.

Baekhyun immediatly reached for the taller's hands and started to pull Chanyeol upstairs. Baekhyun's tail waved around and nearly tripped them as the fox prince tried to hurry up the long staircase.

"Your highness, please slow down." the giant pleaded, worried for the prince's health.

Baekhyun led Chanyeol into a room where a man with a measuring tape stood. Chanyeol looked at Baekhuyn questioningly.

"We need to take your measurements so we can have your uniforms sewn." Baekhyun responded to Chanyeol's confused look.

"Prince Baekhyun, why would I need uniforms? I'm just going serve you in the castle, right? I don't see the need for uniforms."

"You need uniforms because you are becoming my personal servant. If you're going to be my servant you have to look your very best. Also, I've designed the uniforms myself ahead of time. I hope you like them! You should receive your first uniform tomorrow."

Baekhyun opened a nearby desk drawer and pulled out what looked like a stack of papers. He shoved the blueprint designs in Chanyeol's hands and waited for his reaction. The prince was proud of his designs and hoped his new servant would like them as much as he did. Chanyeol looked over the designs and stared in awe. The designs showed Baekhyun's talent as he saw the fine and precise lines drawn across the paper that was accented with colors of gray, white, and maroon. There were many different patterns and styles for his uniforms. He assumed the many designs were for him to have more options in clothing.

"Your highness, these designs are beautiful. You have a wonderful talent."

A smile beamed from Baekhyun's face as his cheeks heated up with a slight blush. Chanyeol was then told to stand at the center or the room while the other man took his measurements. The giant complied with the man's orders and waited patiently until all of his measurements were finished. Baekhyun, however, became impatient and started to whine that 'this is taking too long'. Chanyeol chuckled at the fox prince's impatient cries. After the measurements were done Baekhyun immediatly jumped up from where he was waiting and pulled Chanyeol out of the room to show him the rest of the castle.

Walking down the hallway, Baekhyun led Chanyeol to the bedroom he would be staying in. The extravagant room surprised Chanyeol. There was a chandelier that hung brightly from the ceiling, silk curtains that draped the windows, and a massive bed with velvet sheets.

"My room is next to yours so I can call you whenever I need to. Do you like your bedroom? I also designed it, so I hope you don't mind." the prince asked hopefully.

"Your highness, this bedroom looks very comfortable. Are most things in the castle designed by you?"

"Uh, y- yeah. I liked designing, so it became a little hobby of mine. My parents aren't really supportive of my designs though. They say I'm wasting my time and that I should do something that would prepare me for our family's throne. Anyways, I should show the rest of the castle so you can get accustomed to living here."

With those words, Baekhyun and Chanyeol explored the castle while Baekhyun's three o'clock nap was left forgotten.

 

☯     ☯     ☯

 

Over the past two weeks Chanyeol and Baekhyun became very well aquainted with each other. They spent most of their days by talking together and doing Baekhyun's royal duties. Chanyeol had grown fond of the small fox and appreciated the elder's presence. 

At the moment the both of them were busy practicing Baekhyun's fencing skills.

"Pay attention." Baekhyun said as he swung his sword towards Chanyeol.

Chanyeol turned his head around just in time to prevent himself from getting cut and ruining his newly sewn uniform.

"I'm sorry your highness." Chanyeol said after dodging another hit.

Baekhyun was quite a competitive person, so practicing sword fighting with him wasn't exactly the safest thing to do. Chanyeol nearly had his hand cut off, but he had continue practing with the fox because Baekhyun complained that it was boring for him to practice by himself.

"Chanyeol, please stop calling me 'your highness'. There's no need for such formalities. You may call me anything, but it can't be something too formal." Baekhyun replied with a small pout and pointed his sword towards the other.

Chanyeol was stunned. Usually family members of royalty preferred to be called something proper, but instead Baekhyun preferred something informal and casual. Chanyeol paused and contemplated for a few moments on what to call Baekhyun. He then spoke up which broke the silence arounf the two of them.

"I-I think I'll call you 'my prince'."

"Okay, I'll be your prince then."

Baekhyun felt a small blush on appear on his cheeks and tried to hide it from the taller. Chanyeol however saw the prince's blush and smiled to himself

The awkward silence around was immediately broken when a guard came rushing into the room.

"Prince Baekhyun, your father has called for you. He urgently needs to speak to with you in the throne room."

Baekhyun gave Chanyeol a confused look as they both set down their swords and hurried out of the room. The pair arrived at the throne room and waited anxiously. Baekhyun's parents soon came into the room and sat down at their seats.

"Baekhyun, what is this?" the fox's father asked as he shoved a small booklet into Baekhyun's hands.

The prince stared in disbelief. Baekhyun couldn't believe that his father had found his sketchbook. After the king had found out about Baekhyun's designing hobby he had told his son to stop drawing and to find something useful to do with his life. Baekhyun was not permitted to draw, but the prince was stubborn. He continued to draw in secrecy without his father knowing, and now his father had found his book of designs.

"T-these are my designs, father." Baekhyun said in a quiet voice.

Chanyeol stood next to the prince and could see Baekhyun's nervousness as the fox held on tightly to the sketchbook.

"Baekhyun, how many times have I told you to give up your stupid little hobby?!" the king's voice boomed thoughout the entire room.

The fox lowered his head in fear. He couldn't speak at all. His father had never gotten this angry with Baekhyun. The prince was about to reply to his father until Chanyeol spoke out.

"Your magesty, I don't think Baekhyun's hobby is stupid. He really enjoys designing, and he has artisitic talent."

"The king eyed Chanyeol and became silent for a few moments.

"Please leave me." the king replied.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun left the room quietly. As they left, Baekhyun tried to cover up his face and wipe a few of his tears.

"Are you alright?" the giant asked.

"I'm fine. I think I need some fresh air. Will you accompany me for a walk in the gardens?"

"Well okay, if that is what my prince wishes."

The gardens held many colorful flowers that Baeekhyun adored. It seemed as if the gardens were his hiding place from the world, but now he had brought Chanyeol with him. The fox prince spoke up.

"Thank you for standing up for me, Chanyeol."

"You're welcome. I just thought your father was being harsh on you."

"My father is always like that. He always makes me feel unhappy because he belittles my artwork."

"I will protect your happiness then." Chanyeol whispered.

Baekhyun didn't hear Chanyeol's quiet remark as he began to chuckle. A butterfly had landed in Chanyeol's hair which made the giant freeze in position.

"Chanyeol, don't move." the fox said as he reached up on his toes and took the butterfly into his hands.

Baekhyun released the butterfly into the air. The couple continued to walk until they found a bench they could sit on. They sat comfortably next to each other and made small talk.

With so many flowers around, Chanyeol began to gather red flowers and started weaving a crown for fragile prince. The prince sat in silence and curiously waited for his servant to finish weaving. After Chanyeol finished the crown he'd been making he carefully set the red flower crown over one of Baekhyun's ears.

"Thank you, Chanyeol."

Baekhyun, at this point, was blushing due to Chanyeol's actions.

"You're welcome, my prince." Chanyeol replied while smiling at the other.

 

☯     ☯     ☯

 

Later that day they sat in the comfort of Baekhyun's bed as the fox fiddled with his robes and Chanyeol mindlessly brushed the prince's tail.

"So soft..." the servant whispered to himself.