one of ten

1 to 10 Equals Me & You

Jongin first met Taemin in the washroom. He was told to go to one of the dance studios in the newly renovated wing right after he arrives from school. Jongin was nervous. The company recently renovated that wing and everyone was dying to be able to take a look. Since that new wing was new, only the higher up staff and senior idols like DBSK and BoA were allowed in. Jongin read the notification at least 50 times to reconfirm the meeting venue. 

He was rinsing soap from his hands at the basin when he saw another boy coming over to use the basin next to him. Jongin always kept to himself but somehow, something prompted him to look at this boy beside him in the mirror. He looked up to find the other boy looking right at him through the mirror too. Both boys were astonished to find another boy who looked so much like themselves looking back. 

Taemin was the first to react. Taemin turned to look at Jongin straight in his face. He offered a dripping wet hand, "Lee Taemin."

"Kim Jongin," replied Jongin, grasping the offered hand with his slick with soap hand.

 

They started chatting with each other and discovered that they most probably have not met each other as each of them are always holed up in their own dance practice room and never explored the building like most of the trainees.

Most importantly, both boys received the same instruction to go to the new wing.

"Hello, Taemin and Jongin. I see that you've met each other," said the head trainee instructor.

Taemin and Jongin nodded nervously.

The instructor chuckled, "Don't look this afraid. Look, isn't this room marvelous?"

The new wing was truly fantastic. There was a lounge as you stepped through and there were huge screens informing which rooms are occupied and which rooms are not. You could also booked a room in advanced. There were also screens showing available open lessons that trainees could sign up for. Seems like some trainees were already shown to this area. Kim Junmyeon had already signed up for all available lessons. Jongin knew Junmyeon hyung is the hardworking one but nevertheless, he wondered why did Junmyeon hyung sign up for advance Korean language lessons. 

In this particular dance studio there were in, other than the usual mirror wall and bars around the sides, there was a console at a corner. They were told that this was a new system and one of the first to be installed in South Korea. There were a wide range of microphones available so that you can practice singing live while you dance. Cameras were installed in the studio and with a press of a button on the console, you can record your entire session, even in slow motion, for you to monitor later. The walls could be pulled to the side to join two studios together. 

The instructor handed the each boy a laminated card with a hanging cord attached, "We're shifting in trainees batch by batch to prevent a huge onslaught of kids to flood the system and the place. With this card, you two are allowed to book the rooms here for your personal use. Just check the instructions in the lounge. The company has also decided to put you two to practice together for now. Prepare a few sequences to show us during this month's critique session. We're expecting a lot from you two, so don't disappoint us." With a wink at the two boys, the instructor left.

Jongin couldn't stop inspecting this ID card he just received. There was his photo printed smartly on it as well as his name and the date he joined the company. There was a really sophisticated looking barcode thing at the back and he couldn't tear his eyes away. It looked super impressive, especially for someone who was technology impaired like Jongin.

"Come on, partner. Quit staring at that piece of card. Let's see what you've got."

Jongin looked up to see Taemin on the floor, legs apart to stretch. Jongin scoffed, "Is that the best you can stretch to, partner?" Jongin sat on the floor and stretched his legs out in front of him. He proceeded to spread them apart into a split and continuing, allowing his legs to come together behind him. He looked up to see a flabberghasted Taemin staring back at him.

 


 

Kyungsoo first met Chanyeol on the first day he stepped into SM headquarters as the newest trainee. He stepped into the lobby nervously and squinted to look for any signage to shed some light on which way he should proceed to. There wasn't anyone in the lobby other than a security guard dozing away in his corner. Kyungsoo was early, so he decided to loiter around there untill someone appear.

Chanyeol did not just appear. He rushed in like a hurricane and before he knew it, Kyungsoo felt something remotely like a sledgehammer hitting him over the head. When Kyungsoo was aware of what's going on, he was already on the floor and there was a lanky kid about his age, very red in the face, apologising profusely. That dozing security guard was now standing beside those two boys on the floor, pissed that he got awakened from his slumber. After making sure that these two kids are not injured enough to require medical attention, he went back to his corner, yawning.

Kyungsoo turned to that awkward kid. He was biting his lips nervously. He had a guitar slung over his back. There is another guitar in its case on the floor beside him. Kyungsoo supposed he hand carried the second one. This amazed Kyungsoo, since this kid was only as wide as half a guitar. How did he lugged two guitars from.... wherever he came from? Kyungsoo squinted at his face.

"Uhm, hello? You're okay, right? I'm so sorry, I have my hands full and it is difficult for me to press the button to open the door so I just ran in after you, before the door could close, but I didn't know you were standing just right inside and oh gosh, you're not losing consciousness, are you? Oh crap, I knew it, Jongin always said that I'm too lanky for my own good and... Wait wait wait, you're alright, right? Do you need the ambulance? Do I... Oh gosh. I... Uhm..."

Kyungsoo waved him off and tried getting up. That boy grabbed his arm and pulled him to his feet. "Don't worry. I'm fine. It's okay," Kyungsoo attempted a small smile to reassure this very flustered boy.

Flustered Boy seemed to be very much reassured, "Thank heavens. Uh. Are you a new trainee?"

Kyungsoo nodded his head, "Yes. It's my first day today."

Flustered Boy's smile got wider, if it was even possible. Kyungsoo took a nervous step back. "Hello! My name is Park Chanyeol. I'm a trainee too. Do you need help?"

Kyungsoo smiled gratefully, "My name is Do Kyungsoo. Thank you for your offer, I was wondering if you can show me the way to Room 202? I have to meet a-" Kyungsoo fumbled around for an email printout from his pocket "-someone called Kim Junmyeon. Oh, if you're in a hurry, I'll just look around by myself or wait for someone else. Or..."

"Ah. Junmyeon hyung. 202, did you say? Come on, this way. Let me show. It's on my way."

Kyungsoo beamed brightly, "Really? Thank you so much, Chanyeol!" He hesitated, "Uh... Can I call you Chanyeol? Are we same age friends? I'm born in 1993."

"I'm born in 1992. I don't really mind if you call me hyung or not. I have a feeling that we're gonna be really good friends in the future," Chanyeol flashed his wide smile. This time, Kyungsoo wasn't intimidated by that smile at all.