Impossible to Ignore

You

6/2/2015

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Impossible to Ignore

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong looked up when he saw the waitress come to his table, and he froze. It was her! The girl he’d seen at the other restaurant! His chest tightened and he couldn’t help but smile. She was even more beautiful than he remembered.

 

“Hi.” He smiled at her, and his eyes shifted down to her nametag. So that was her name… Dee. He wondered if that was short for something else or if it was her real name.

 

Dara felt as if she were frozen in place, her eyes wide. Her first instinct was to turn and flee. And maybe if she hadn’t been so shocked, she would have! But instead she just stood there staring at Kwon Jiyong, too surprised to do anything else for the moment.

 

“Are you okay?” Jiyong asked, his smile turning into a look of concern.

 

And then, miracle of miracles, Dara realized – Kwon Jiyong didn’t recognize her!

 

She came to herself quickly, blinked and then forced a small smile. “May I take your order?” she asked, and tried to keep her voice steady. Did he really not recognize her?

 

“Oh…” Now it was his turn to look a little flustered. He hadn’t realized that she would be his waitress and wasn’t prepared to come face to face with her. He wondered if Minzy had prepared this, and if so, had she said anything to her – to Dee. He still couldn’t believe that she was actually right there!

 

“What do you recommend?” he asked, looking back up at Dara. He stared at her as she lowered her eyes.  She seemed extraordinarily tense, and Jiyong thought to himself then that Minzy must have said something to her. Dee didn’t look too happy to see him, and that thought made the happiness he felt moments earlier collapse. She didn’t like him, wasn’t interested.

 

Dara gird up her courage. Of course Kwon Jiyong wouldn’t recognize her. She looked completely different from what she looked like in the past. And even though they lived under the same roof for several months, they really hadn’t spent all that much time together or talking to one another.  Dara relaxed and smiled. Just play it cool, Dara. Pretend you don’t know him either. You can do this!

 

She smiled as she talked with Kwon Jiyong and went into her regular dialogue of recommendations she would make if guests asked. She then waited patiently while he reviewed the menu and made his choice. “Something to drink?” she asked, and noted down his choice. When he was done she took his menu, bowed, and then left.

 

Once safely in the kitchen, Dara leaned against the wall and released the breath she’d been holding. Her legs felt weak and her heart was pounding with nervousness. She raised a hand and placed it over her chest to calm the beating within as she breathed a sigh of relief. But it was short lived as she became aware again of the hustle and bustle around her and she realized she had to give Jiyong’s food order. She quickly went over to the counter and called out the order to the cook. Next she went to get Jiyong’s drink and took it back to his table, all the while reminding herself mentally to be calm and not do anything that might trigger Jiyong’s suspicion.

 

“Here’s your drink, sir,” she said, placing the glass down carefully. “I’ll be back with your order in about 10 minutes.”

 

Jiyong watched as Dee left and went to another table in the area to check on them. He wanted to stop her, to ask her to sit down and join him. But of course he couldn’t do that – this was her job and she was working. So he had to content himself with watching her as she went back toward the kitchen. His heart was beating a quick tempo and he knew that what he felt the other night had not been false. He really was attracted to this girl. Something about her just seemed special.

 

And then he realized something with a start, the reason why he thought he was attracted to her. In a way, a very small way, she almost reminded him of Sandara. She had the same petite build. And her face…

 

Jiyong frowned. She did look like Sandara. And he began comparing the two in his mind. There was definitely a similarity but this girl, Dee, was more innocent like. Angelic looking almost. – And there was no way Sandara would be caught dead working in a restaurant, as a waitress more worse.

 

He chuckled to himself at the absurd thought he had just a few minutes earlier, thinking that maybe Dee was Sandara. In fact, the more he thought of it now the more hilarious the prospect seemed. But at least now he knew why he’d been attracted to this girl from the first. Jiyong surmised that it was because he sub-consciously recognized her similarity to Park Sandara, and that’s what he’d found so appealing.

 

In a way he was relieved. He’d begun to question himself and his promise to Sanjin, his father, and even his own feelings for Sandara when he’d found himself searching for this girl. It was one of the reasons he had to see her again, to find out for himself what it was he felt for her. And though Jiyong didn’t doubt his attraction to this Dee, he realized suddenly that the whole cause of the attraction was because Dee reminded him a lot – physically at least – of Sandara.

 

He looked up when a waiter brought his order to his table. “Good evening, sir. Here is your order. My name is Seungri. Is there anything else I can get for you?”

 

“No, this is fine.” Jiyong looked around, then asked. “What happened to the waitress – Dee?”

 

“She was needed to assist in one of the rooms,” Seungri informed Jiyong. The truth was Seungri was the one that had been assigned to that private banquet, but Dara had come and dragged him away, begging him to switch assignments with her. “And if table 10 asks, just tell him that I was needed to assist in here, okay? Please Seungri?”

 

“What’s going on?” Seungri had asked, is someone bothering you? Seungri was very protective of Dee and the other waitresses.

 

“No, it’s nothing like that,” Dara clarified, not wanting Seungri to say or do something that might pull Jiyong’s attention more toward her. “I’ll give you half of my tips from here. Please?!”

 

Seungri had relented but he told Dara she had to get the okay from Gummy before they switched. “Thanks Seungri, you’re the best!”

 

*

 

Two days later Dara went home to the Chois. She had the next couple of days off, so early that morning she’d caught the train and escaped. The restaurant wasn’t open yet for lunch. As soon as she walked through the back door and saw Da Hyun, she ran up to her and hugged her, “Eomeoni!”

 

“Dara!” Da Hyun was surprised but happy to see Dara. “Omo, what are you doing here?” she asked, laughing at the childlike pout Dara was making.

 

Jin came through the door from the main dining area and paused when he saw Dara. A smile spread across his face, especially when Dara ran and hugged him. He pat her back and then put his big hands on her shoulders and held her away so he could look at her face. Although he was happy to see her, he could tell from the look in her eyes that she really was near crying. Before he could ask her though Mino came bursting through the door, followed more calmly by Sanghyun.

 

“Noona!” Mino ran over and grabbed Dara, hugging her tight. Dara, who had almost been crying while Jin was holding her, now was laughing like a little girl and jumping up and down together with Mino. Jin shook his head, sometimes those two seemed like they were the same age. Dara saw Sanghyun and she held her arm out to him, pulling him to her side.

 

“How are you, noona?” Sanghyun asked in his quiet manner. He leaned down from his tall height to place a kiss on top of Dara’s head.

 

“I’m much better now that I’ve seen all of you!” Dara declared. She saw Hyun-woo standing by the stove. “Hyun-woo oppa, I missed you!” The cook grinned at her and shook his head. He missed having Dara’s loudness around. She certainly livened up the restaurant when she was around.

 

“Is everything okay?” Jin asked, still concerned about Dara’s unexpected visit.

 

“I’m fine, abeoji,” Dara smiled, one arm around each of her dongsaengs. “I had a few days off so I came to spend it with you!”

 

“Really?” Mino asked, excited that she would be staying a few days. He held his hand up for a high five. And then he said, “Does this mean you’ll cover my shift and I don’t have to work today?” he asked.

 

Dara slapped his shoulder. “You wish, punk! You’re going to stay right here where I can see you all day long!”

 

Jin and Da Hyun stood next to each other, smiling at the girl they considered their daughter now as she played around with Mino and Sanghyun. But they both sensed there was something bothering her despite her laughter and happiness at being home.

 

 

 

 

**