Failed Attempts

Our Little Secret

Time went on and the two of them continued their lives without the other.

 

The others were sympathetic at first, giving Luna a pat on the back and a sad smile when she got home and told them what had happened. But that was all. They knew they were a couple, and that they'd been together for a long time, but that was it. To them, it was just a relationship, and granted it was, but it was more.

 

As work and life got hard, she really only had him to turn to. Everyday, little texts and phone calls about everything that was going on, it was nice. It was comforting. It was exactly what she needed in the big, messy business they were in.

 

And sure she was being a tad dramatic, but she missed him. She really did. Him and his dumb jokes and his fluffy hair and his crooked smile. She told herself she'd get over it, that she'd forget about him soon enough, at least she hoped.

 

It didn’t help that the next time they saw each other was on a variety show a week later. She and Krystal were the only members of the group sent to go and this was one instance in which Luna was glad to have her by her side, taking most of the attention off her.

 

After getting fixed up in the dressing room, they were sent to the stage to meet the others before the show. As she and Krystal entered the room, they were immediately met by a few members of SNSD and Super Junior. She breathed a sigh of relief before she noticed Jonghyun in the back. And beside him was Onew. She froze.

 

What on earth was the company thinking? Breaking them up then putting them on the same variety show a week later?

 

Their eyes met for a brief moment before she started greeting the others, her voice unwillingly sounding a bit shaky. She couldn't believe he was here. There she was, trying her best to rid her mind of him, when he now just appeared right in front of her. Krystal looked down at her knowingly, giving her shoulder a slight squeeze for comfort.

 

Eventually, they all came to stand in one large group, she and Onew standing nearly opposite from one another. She wasn't looking at him. She was looking at everyone and everything else but him. She couldn’t. She know just one more look and she'd crumble.

 

“Hey how come you two aren't even talking to each other?” Leeteuk spoke suddenly as he gestured between the two, raising his eyebrows comically, “Aren't the two of you in some scandalous relationship?”

 

Luna suddenly looked at Onew and Onew looked at her, Krystal gripping her arm slightly. The sound of the others’ laughter brought her back to reality and she knew she had to act fast.

 

“Aish, you believe in those tabloids?” she joked, “How could you?”

 

“It was quite the picture,” Jessica added, “It almost did look like you two.”

 

Onew laughed loudly, and fakely, in response, “Yeah, well, photoshop these days..”

 

Thankfully everyone laughed it off and the conversation diverted to another topic.

 

The show was relatively quick and easy. All she had to do was smile and answer a few questions, making sure to have a good and likeable stage presence. She made a conscious effort to not even look his way, knowing that even the slightest thing could be blown out of proportion by crazy fans and reporters. Luckily, none of the MCs mentioned the scandal, probably due to strict orders from management.

 

When the taping was over, she wanted to get out of there as quick as she could. Just as she and Krystal were about to leave, Onew came running down the hall.

 

“Luna! Wait!” he shouted, loud enough for anyone to hear as he came towards them. She turned, her eyes staring at him in shock.

 

“I need to talk to you,” he said, panting slightly as he caught up to them, setting a hand on her arm, gripping it slightly. Just that small touch was enough to light that fire in her, reminding her just how much she missed him. She was staring up at him, the both of them silent, forgetting about Krystal who was just beside her.

 

“Oppa, I don't think we should-”

 

“Luna?” Krystal  said, “I can just head home. You should talk to him.”

 

Luna opened to protest before catching sight of the desperate look in his eye, silently begging her to stay.

 

“Okay, I'll see you later,” Luna nodded at the younger girl.

 

Onew pulled her through the hall without a care, while Luna worriedly glanced around for people who might see them.

 

“Oppa, where are we-”

 

He finally pulled her into an empty dressing room, shutting the door shut behind him. She was standing beside him, his hand still gripping her arm. He moved so that he was in front of her, her back to the door as he reached out to turn the lock.

 

She looked at him, seeing him so close she had to fight the urge to just reach out and pull him into her arms.

 

“We shouldn't be in here. Someone could see us.”

 

“Luna, I don't care if anyone sees us,” he said, his hands on shoulders, one of them rising to brush her light brown hair away.

 

“We can't do this,” she shook her head when he came closer.

 

“Please just listen to me-”

 

“Why? It's already been hard enough. There's no point in doing this. Just let me leave.” She tried to step around him, but he held her in place.

 

“Luna, please,” he said, his voice edged with frustration, “I know that at first we agreed to do this, but it's not worth it! I don't want this anymore!”

 

She crossed her arms over her chest as she stared back at him. “You heard what they told us. If we don't do what they say then-”

 

“ them and their stupid rules!” he cursed angrily. Her eyebrows raised in surprise and she looked down at the floor to avoid his gaze. She bit her lip, trying to stop herself from crying because, God, she didn't even know why she felt like crying but she always did in situations like this and couldn't ever stop it. He noticed her expression and his hand instantly rose to cup her skin. With his thumb rubbing against her cheek, he whispered softly, “Is this what you want?”

 

She stared back at him, a few tears beginning to slide down her cheeks. He wiped them away with the tips of his fingers while muttering, “God, don't cry. You don't need to cry.”

 

“You know I can't help it,” she laughed amidst her tears, causing him to laugh as well. She sniffled and cracked a small grin. “I missed you.”

 

His hands slid down to her waist pulled her closer. “I missed you, too, sweetheart.”

 

He tilted his head and captured her lips with his. She smiled at the feeling of his lips on hers again, reaching up to tangle her fingers in his hair as he pushed her back into the door. It had only been a week, and sure they'd gone much longer without being with each other, but it still felt so good to be there, back in his arms once again. She slipped her tongue into his mouth and he groaned, thankfully not too loudly. His hands slid down the back of her dress and he kissed her back with fervor. Knowing now wasn't the time to get too heated, they eventually pulled away, grins plastered on their faces.

 

“We were so stupid,” she laughed at their inability to stay apart.

 

“I know.”

 

“But now what? We just keep sneaking around?” she poked at his chest, her fingers playing with his shirt. He smiled and grabbed her hand, holding it against him.

 

“Let’s just go public. I don't know. What's the worst thing they can do? They can't fire us.”

 

“Yes they can!”

 

“Luna, you've been with them for three years now. They can't fire you over something like this.”

 

“How do you know?” she asked, “They could do other things. They could treat me really badly, even if they do let me stay.”

 

“That won't happen.”

 

“How do you know?”

 

“Because I won't let it.”


If anyone thinks Luna was being extra for crying, I'd legit be crying in that situation lmao.I was super stumped on how to continue this story and idk this is what I ended up with. Anyway, I'm going to KCON tmrw, and tho I missed SHINee and Amber today, I'm still pumped and just wanted to get this chapter up before that so sorry for any errors I didn't really reread it.