Chapter 6

Quiet Lion

Taekwoon ran through the rain, out of breath and soaking wet, yet still not able to wipe the stupid grin off his face. He had no coat or jacket, leaving him completely drenched. Usually this would annoy him, make him frown and groan, but somehow it just seemed humorous today.

 

His feet skidded to a stop (in such a way that it was a wonder he didn't face plant) in front of his destination. For a few moments he just stared at the glass doors, letting the rain fill his shoes even further. Just moments before, he had been so eager to get inside, but now he had a few thoughts that stopped him, one being that he literally could not get any more wet right then, so there was no need to rush. The other; he had to stop smiling so widely. No way was he going to let Hakyeon know just how excited it made him to come see him again.

 

Once he'd collected himself, settling his demeanor and expression back into a mellow state, he pushed open the door and trudged inside, careful not to slip on the tiles.

 

Looking up, he immediately spotted Hakyeon who was trying not to burst out laughing, trotting over to him.

 

"Got caught in the rain," the younger murmured, holding out his arms and showing the extent to which his clothes were sopping wet.

 

"Oh, really?" Hakyeon replied sarcastically, raising an eyebrow. "I thought you took a bath with your clothes on." Taekwoon giggled loudly, but immediately covered his mouth afterwards; being extremely shy, laughing out loud always embarrassed him.

 

Hakyeon just grinned widely at him, and Taekwoon slowly lowered his hands, returning the gesture. Just then, Hakyeon's smile fell, and his expression changed to realization.

 

"Oh, I think we have a towel in here you can use. Be right back," he told him before taking off towards the back. Taekwoon's eyes followed him, and ended up landing on the younger (but taller) male behind the counter. "He really likes you, you know," Sanghyuk remarked, winking, and Taekwoon bit his lip.

 

It'd been a while since he'd felt so happy around someone, and he barely even knew him. But the thought just made his heart jump with excitement; there was so much for him to learn about Hakyeon.

 

Calm down, Taek. You don't need to get so riled up.

 

He just couldn't help it. That was the type of person he was.

 

Suddenly, Hakyeon scrambled out into the open again, holding a raggedly towel of an unpleasant green color in his hands. Almost slipping on the tiles in the process, he ran up to Taekwoon and extended his arms, shoving the towel towards him.

 

"There," he stated with finality.

 

Taekwoon bit back the laughter this time, accepting the towel and drying himself off to the best of his ability. When he had pretty much reached the best it would get, he handed the towel back to Hakyeon, and followed him further inside.

 

The older took a quick dash back to the unknown (wherever he'd found the towel) and came back. Sanghyuk watched him with an eyebrow raised as he went over and, like yesterday, placed his own money in the register, and scooped out a cup of plain vanilla ice cream.

 

And with a smile, he walked over to Taekwoon, handing him the cup.

 

"You really don't need to buy me anything," Taekwoon fretted guiltily, not reaching for the ice cream, but Hakyeon just gestured to the cup dramatically.

 

"You know you want it," he insisted theatrically, wiggling his eyebrows. Taekwoon reached out, playfully hitting him on the shoulder. "Oh, come on," Hakyeon sighed fondly, first taking Taekwoon's right hand into his and wrapping it around the cup, then doing the same with his left. "It's not like it's expensive, you goof."

 

He sat down at the table closest to him, and gestured towards the other seat. Taekwoon obeyed, plopping down and taking his first bite of ice cream.

 

"So, tell me about you," Hakyeon said, scooting his chair closer to the table and resting his chin in his hands.

 

"What?" Taekwoon murmured, eyes widening a little as he took another bite.

 

"Tell me about yourself," Hakyeon tried again, giving him an encouraging smile. Taekwoon's cheeks dusted pink, and he opened his mouth, but his lips simply quivered as he had no idea what to say.

 

"You don't say much, do you?" Hakyeon asked, voice fond. Taekwoon shook his head; it was true, he'd always been shy, and he didn't really have much to say about himself in this situation.

 

"Well, we can start like this. What do you like?"

 

"Music," Taekwoon replied, his voice as sure as it could get.

 

"Me too! Do you like to play it?"

 

"I like to sing...and play the piano."

 

"There you go, that's a start, right?" Hakyeon praised cheerfully.

 

Suddenly, thunder cracked through the sky outside, and Taekwoon jumped, gasping endearingly. There was a long moment where they just stared at each other, before Hakyeon leaned over slightly to look outside, face scrunching at the pouring rain. It had become quite the storm, which he thought was odd since it had been nice out that morning.

 

"Are you scared of thunder?" he asked softly, making eye contact with Taekwoon again.

 

"A little," the younger admitted.

 

"I was too, when I was little. Now I think what scares me the most is being alone," Hakyeon confessed, sinking a little lower into his hands. It was something that had always made him feel uneasy. Something that had always cast a shadow over him.

 

"I like being alone," Taekwoon told him. "Not that I dislike being with you! I-I like being with you. You're...different than other people," he added clumsily, eyes gluing themselves to the table, but Hakyeon just laughed affectionately.

 

"I like being with you too. You know, maybe I can help you break out of your shell a little," Hakyeon suggested, reaching out to pat Taekwoon's head. "Your hair is still wet," he commented, sliding his fingers through the black locks.

 

"You're weird."

 

"Thank you."

 

"May this awkward couple be forever blessed!" Sanghyuk exclaimed from behind the counter, throwing sprinkles at them as if it was confetti. Hakyeon's face contorted in irritation as granules of rainbow landed in his hair, and Taekwoon's cheeks burned once again.

 

"If you put your hand in that sprinkle container one more time, I will lock you out in the storm."

 

Sanghyuk gasped melodramatically. "Cruel!" he exclaimed.

 

"Shut up," Hakyeon grumbled. But Taekwoon laughed quietly again, this time not embarrassed that he was heard, and a proud, hopeful sensation opened up in Hakyeon's chest.

 

Maybe his days could be happy after all.

 

---

 

HoLy MoLY I HavEnT UpDaTed THis IN FoREvEr. But I have now. I wonder if anyone even remembers that this fic exists. Oh well. I had thought about not writing it after all because tbh I just had no idea what tf to do with it, but I'm gonna figure it out. sO YeA. I hope that was good since I made you wait so long. See you soon! c: