Chapter 1

Quiet Lion

 

First chapter whoop! Enjoy :3

 

------------------------------------- 

Hakyeon sighed deeply as he stared out at the room full of empty chairs. They had only had a couple people that day, and he didn't really need the new boy's help. But there he was, with his chestnut hair looking particularly ruffled and messy compared to the first time Hakyeon had met him.

 

"Don't you ever get tempted to eat this stuff?" Sanghyuk, the younger boy, asked from behind. Hakyeon turned around to answer, and he could've sworn he saw his hand jerk out of the sprinkle container. 

 

"Well, yeah, I think that people who work with any food get tempted to eat it," Hakyeon commented. He tacked on a knowing glare. "But that doesn't mean you should," he scolded. 

 

Sanghyuk's face grew hot. "Sorry," he mumbled. Hakyeon pressed his lips together guiltily as he turned back around. He'd eaten out of the sprinkle container more than a few times himself, but he wasn't going to tell Hyuk that.

 

He let himself sigh again. Needless to say, working in a small ice cream shop in a slightly hidden part of the city wasn't the most exciting thing ever. But Hakyeon didn't have too many options at the time.

 

He was living in a modest little flat with his good friend Wonshik, a little ways away from where he worked. He really couldn't complain; the place was fairly nice and his friend was a caring and kind person. He was also funny, which helped when he was in a bad mood.

 

Hakyeon jolted, jerked from his daze as the door opened in the first time in what felt like an eternity.

 

In walked a dark haired young man that didn't look too far from Hakyeon's age. He had a little girl at his side, that held a bit of a resemblance to him. Somehow, his features looked almost feline. He was beautiful, from his bulging childish cheeks and haunting eyes to his smooth, shiny skin and broad shoulders. 

 

But Hakyeon found his eyes locked on his vibrant lips, that looked so soft they could have been made of marshmallow. He was biting the back of them, so subtly that Hakyeon wouldn't have noticed if he hadn't been staring.

 

They approached the counter, the little girl skipping. They were the epitome of innocence, and Hakyeon felt overwhelmed by the charismatic vibe they gave off.

 

Trying to snap out of his trance, he offered them a phrase he had said many times before. "C-Can I get you anything?" He looked away in defeat for a moment at the noticeable stutter. That's when he realized he wasn't the only one choking right then. 

 

The frankly adorable being in front of him had his mouth wide open, and twitching as if he was trying to speak but his voice was failing him. His previously glowing and graceful looking eyes were wide and clumsy, though they stared straight into Hakyeon's. It looked as if his brain was too busy trying to come up with a reply to make his pupils even twitch.

 

The little girl stood on her tiptoes so her head would be over the counter before gripping the hand of the struggling man next to her. "We'd like one scoop of vanilla each, in a cup please," she told Hakyeon, with a shining smile he could only describe as angelic and a squeeze of the slightly shaking hand she was holding. 

 

"Any toppings?" he offered, trying to process what just happened. "No thank you," she responded, lowering back to her normal height as a way of showing she had finished. 

 

He prepared her request, and the beautiful boy - who Hakyeon realized with a sinking feeling was probably the little girl's father - paid without a single word. 

 

"Thanks," the sweet girl said before taking him to one of the several empty tables. 

 

Hakyeon was filled with curiosity as he listened to the girl talking about her day. It was about four, so Hakyeon guessed that he had picked her up from school and they had come here afterwards. 

 

He could see that his regrettable crush had answered, but his voice was so quiet that he couldn't hear it.

 

He stared longingly, wishing that he could be a part of their little family. Hakyeon almost reached up and slapped himself at the thought. 

 

If only he knew his name. He wished he could find out, but he couldn't exactly just ask. 

 

An idea popped into his mind. He'd make up a nickname for him and refer to him as that in his head. 

 

He took in his different features, trying to decide what would fit. 

 

And then it came to him. Leo. His feline features, quiet, shy, kitten-like disposition were complemented perfectly by the nickname, as well as the fact that though he seemed timid, he looked as though he would do all he could to stand up for loved ones. 

 

Finally, Leo and the little girl stood up, and to Hakyeon's dismay, exited the small building after throwing away the little cups that had previously held their ice cream. "Got a crush?" Sanghyuk commented from behind, making Hakyeon wheel around.

 

"What gives you that idea?" he protested in an incredulous voice, refusing to make eye contact with Sanghyuk. "That wasn't very convincing."

 

Hakyeon cringed and bit his lip, still not looking at the ginger haired boy in front of him. "Yeah...I know," he admitted.

 

"Whatever. I get it, he was cute," Sanghyuk said with a grin. Hakyeon finally looked at him, this time with confusion. 

 

"Oh yeah. Didn't mention. I swing both ways," he told him with a suggestive wink. Hakyeon continued to stare in silence. Sanghyuk realized his mistake.

 

"That...that wasn't supposed to be flirtatious..." he assured him, biting his lip and looking away.

 

Hakyeon mentally rolled his eyes and looked at the clock. He couldn't wait to go home.