Chapter 5

Demon In The Woods

“Ji-Demon,” Seunghyun straightened up as they approached a building.

Jiyong cocked an eyebrow and almost smiled, “What is it you want Seunghyun?”

“For some time now I have been thinking about something,” Seunghyun eyed the growing building, “Do all demons have such a beautiful power as you?”

“What?” Jiyong pressed his hand on his chest and gave a bemused look, “What are you talking about?”

Seunghyun sighed, almost with an annoyed expression, “You glow, your eyes are gold, and your power is white, what is that supposed to mean?”

“Oh,” that is all Jiyong said as they walked up the steps of the building. The building was grand, yet dilapidated, falling apart, “We’ve come to collect two souls today, a man and a woman.”

“You didn’t answer my questions.”

“There’s no way I can prepare you for the sight you will see, but it has to be done.”

“What,” Seunghyun gave Jiyong an irritated look as they walked up the grand stairs. He opened his mouth to say something when he heard two loud bangs that startled him, “What the hell was that?”

Jiyong only hummed in response and kept walking up the stairs till he stopped in front of a grand door, most likely the master bedroom. He kept walking, stepping through and sighed at the scene that caught his eyes, “Poor sap.”

Seunghyun’s mouth hung open at the bloodied scene of a woman lying face down on a bed, shot, and seemed to be he husband lying on the floor shot as well, “Did he?”

“Yeah, he shot her then killed himself. Would you mind taking the woman’s soul?”

“Are you just okay with this?” Seunghyun’s voice rose and octave higher as he tried to take in the scene before him, but it was just too much.

“Not every death is peaceful Seunghyun, you should know this. I’ve seen all types of people die in all sorts of ways. It’s something a person shouldn’t be desensitized to, but you will be, I promise you that. The man will go to hell where he belongs, and that’s the only thing that matters.”

Seunghyun was still visibly shaken up, but he nodded his head anyways and reached into the girl’s chest and pulled out the soul, a dull grey it was, “What do I do with this?”

Jiyong stuffed the black soul he had pulled out of the man into his satchel, “Let me see,” he took the soul out of Seunghyun’s hands and examined it, “It goes to limbo, she’ll be there forever. I find the existence a little worse than hell.”

“What does that mean?” Seunghyun stared at the soul, “Does she stay here?”

Jiyong shook his head no, “She’s goes to a different plain, everything is grey and dull with souls wandering around helplessly, looking for a place to belong. She was neither good nor bad, so she’ll be sent to a place with neither good nor bad things.”

Seunghyun watched in awe as Jiyong created a rift in space between them and through the soul in, then he closed it, “Will you answer my question now?”

“What question is that?”

“About your power.”

Jiyong looked down at the ground, “What do you want to know?”

“Why does your power look that way? I thought demons were supposed to be dark, but you’re not, why is that?”

“We’re all different, we all do different things. My power is white because it’s white.”

Seunghyun frowned and folded his arms over his chest, “Are you serious? You’re not telling me everything.”

“Whether I am or whether I do not doesn't matter,” Jiyong started walking away from Seunghyun until Seunghyun grabbed his arm and pulled him back, “What are you doing?”

“If we’re going to travel together I would prefer if you would stop ambiguous and give me some information.”

Jiyong angrily yanked his arm back, “Remember it is I who has your life in my hands, not the other way around.”

Seunghyun rolled his eyes, “You keep threatening me, but you haven’t done anything yet. I’m starting to think you’re weaker than you say.”

“Have you ever stopped to think, that maybe I don’t want to hurt you?” Jiyong clenched his fists and took deep breaths, “But you keep pushing my buttons, and why!? Does a man deserve to be bombarded with question after question? Should I be punished anymore for trying to do the right thing? Huh! Is it wrong, is it wrong?” he ran a hand through his hair and closed his eyes. Jiyong was starting to have second thoughts about Seunghyun, yet he knew he would do the same by him over and over again.

“What have you done well? What is this right thing you speak of? All you’ve caused me is pain,” Seunghyun walked out of the room, not wanting to hear anymore lies come out of Jiyong’s mouth. He didn’t understand why Jiyong needed to make himself look like the victim when it was he was being held, hostage. All Seunghyun wanted was to be at home with his fishing gear and his small fireplace for cooking. He wanted his best friend back; he wanted everything he had back. He knew that it was now only a distant memory.

“You have no idea!” in a delayed response Jiyong came bounding after Seunghyun, his eyes glowing that pale gold, and hair swirling around his ears. Seunghyun would have been afraid if Jiyong looked like a demon when he was that way, but he rarely did, “You have no idea Seunghyun, the good I’ve done.”

Seunghyun stopped walking, and he addressed Jiyong without turning to look at him, “Then what?”

Jiyong calmed himself, “Loneliness can kill.”

“Your point?”

“For years, hundreds of years I have been in those woods on the outskirts of your small village. Hoping that maybe…” Jiyong cut himself off and frowned, “Never mind that, it was a day, so long ago, Grim came and spoke to me. He talked about a man that would be lost like the many souls in the village, a brave soul; Grim said he was too valuable to be lost to the world. So he said, Jiyong, you must make sure he lives past this year, or you too will be lost amongst the demons. This one is special; you do me this favor.”

Seunghyun half turned toward Jiyong and folded his arms over his chest, “Don’t try and tell me that’s supposed to be me? Like I’m some halfwit to believe you.”

“Believe what you want, but this is the only way I knew to keep you alive. I don’t know why, and I don’t care to know how, but there’s truth in what I speak. When the year is up you’re free to move on.”

Seunghyun scoffed, “What about that stuff you said about wanting a companion, was that lie?”

Jiyong grit his teeth, “One thing you will know about me is that I don’t lie, ever,” Jiyong looked out  the window and blew out an annoyed breath, “Come on, it’s getting dark, and we have somewhere to be.”

“Where?”

“We have an engagement to go to. A part of some sorts, the demons like to leash a little havoc in the world every few hundred years or so. I’ve been invited.”

There was a particular tone in Jiyong’s voice that made Seunghyun think Jiyong wasn’t too happy about going, “You don’t sound too happy about it.”

“They’re barbarians, the likes of them. Though I have to keep up appearances,” Jiyong tousled his hair and rolled his neck, “Not every demon likes to party all night, and so frequently too. Once a millennium is okay, but they go on and on.”

“A millennium?”

Jiyong sighed, “It’s like a year in the human world, time flies by there, but I spend my time here, so they come too frequently for me, and I’m always invited.”

“What am I supposed to do there?” Seunghyun was a little intrigued to see what demons get up to in the human world, but he was also a bit troubled. He wondered if he had ever walked passed a demon in his life besides Jiyong, they seemed to come so frequently. Was it supposed to be that way?

“Here, that bonfire, that should be them. They’re in their human form so they should be a lot weaker than usual,” Jiyong cracked his knuckles and stretched, “I guess I should change then. I haven’t done so in a long time, and it’s going to be a lot harder since I have to change you as well. Maybe I should make you uglier,” Jiyong tapped his chin in thought.

“Ugly!? If you did so, that would only prove your jealousy over my beautiful face. What, you don’t want me to upstage you?”

“Be careful, vanity is a sin,” Jiyong took Seunghyun by the chin and looked him in the eye, “You wouldn’t want to be like us now would you?” he slid his hand down to Seunghyun’s chest and closed his eyes, not caring if that made Seunghyun uncomfortable.

Seunghyun felt a heavy burning feeling that spread from his chest to his entire body, and he groaned in pain, “What the hell!?”

“Yeah I know it hurts,” Jiyong flicked his hair out of his face, “Come on, let’s enjoy the festivities.”

“Why do you,” Seunghyun squinted as he looked at Jiyong, “Why do you look so dull?” Gone was the slight glow Jiyong had and the way his hair flowed about his ears as if it was some entire entity. His hair was a dull brown and eyes as well, along with his clothes, they seemed that of a farmer boy.

“I’m human for now, well it’s only a glamour. I’m still as demon as I can be, but just for tonight, I shall take my human form. Also, I do take offense that you just called me human as of now. That’s quite rude.”

Seunghyun was taken aback, “Well I’m sorry.”

“I don’t except; I’m quite upset.”

Seunghyun rolled his eyes, “Oh please, does a demon have feelings.”

Jiyong ignored that and proceeded to walk into the dense forest where he saw a large bonfire blazing. There were many people screaming and dancing around the fire, with booze dripping down their chins. There was kissing and touching, anything you could think of when it came to a demon party, “Barbarians,” Jiyong whispered to himself, “Come on Seunghyun, it’s time to put on a show.”

“A show?”

“Andras!” Jiyong through his hands up in the air and moved towards someone with raven hair petting a dog, “I haven’t seen you in so long, how have you been?”

A wicked smile spread on the androgynous man’s face as he looked at Jiyong. When he spoke his voice was thick and sounded like he didn’t use it much, “Recently I helped a man start a war. I was a very titillating experience; you should have joined me.”

“I’m sure it was,” Jiyong tucked a strand of hair behind his ear and smiled, “You’re always such the instigator, please let me introduce to you a friend of mine, Seunghyun?”

Seunghyun reluctantly stepped forward; these demons seemed to put him on edge more than Jiyong could ever do himself, “Hello.”

Andras gingerly took Seunghyun’s hand and eyed him suspiciously, “You aren’t a demon.”

Jiyong but in before Seunghyun could say anything, “No, he isn’t and that’s all,” Jiyong took Seunghyun’s hand and weaved him through the crowd. He only stopped when he saw a man with his nose in a book, but Jiyong knew better, he knew he wasn’t reading, “Dantalion,” the whisper came out harsh as Jiyong stared at the man. He let go of Seunghyun’s hand and stalked toward the man, ready to smack him for all he was worth, and just when he was about to, his hand was stopped in midair, causing an angry growl to escape his lips.

“Ah, ah, ah,” Dantalion chuckled at the angered expression on Jiyong’s face, “Now you know better than that,” he let go of Jiyong’s hand.

“You read my thoughts .”

“I could feel your hostility from a mile away, we’re at a party Jiyong, please.”

Jiyong was shaking looking at Dantalion, “You made me believe I was in love with you for a hundred years!”

A melodic laugh escaped his lips, “Are you disappointed it wasn’t real?”

“It’s cruel, you-” Jiyong swallowed thickly, “I mean, the next time you me in that way again I will kill you, and then I will dance on your grave blissfully happy that your existence would be on no plane to torture me!”

“That’s harsh Jiyong, who is your friend?” he lifted up his hand to silence Jiyong before he spoke, “Wait don’t tell me, his name is Seunghyun, and he is your traveling companion,” Dantalion gasped, and a smirk came upon his face, “Oh well isn’t that interesting.”

“Stop reading my thoughts!” Jiyong’s face was getting redder by the second.

“Could you do me a favor and stop thinking so fast darling, thank you. The Seunghyun fellow, he’s special isn’t he, especially ordinary, but kind of interesting. Oh, I would like to see how this story plays out, yes indeed.”

Jiyong wasn’t going to stand there any longer listening to him speak. Out of all the demons, Jiyong hated him the most. Jiyong went and grabbed a bottle of booze and took a swig out of it, letting the burn run down his throat, and the ghastly taste coat his tongue. He didn’t understand the pleasure in drinking, but here he was doing it anyway.

Seunghyun tensed as an arm wrapped around his shoulder, “Excuse me?”

“You’re not human anymore, are you. This is just a glamour, yes?”

Seunghyun was a little apprehensive to tell him anything at first, but he felt the cool tendrils of appreciation for the man standing before and couldn’t understand why he wouldn’t trust the handsome fellow, “Well, I guess I’m not human anymore, no.”

“I thought so; that’s what Jiyong said.”

“I don’t think Jiyong said anything.”

Dantalion smiled, “Well not directly, so how do you feel about my dear friend Jiyong?”

“Are you friends?” Seunghyun was confused, and his head was getting fuzzier by the second. He felt deep down that Jiyong being friends with this man was right, “No, of course, you’re friends.”

“Exactly, so how do you feel about him?”

“He’s all right,” Seunghyun shrugged, “He is a demon.”

Well, I’m a demon.”

“Oh yeah,” Seunghyun shrugged again, “He’s still all right.”

Dantalion rested a hand on Seunghyun’s knee, “Well I can change that,” he laughed quietly to himself and let Seunghyun go, “Have some fun, I have a book to read.”

Dantalion!” Jiyong came bounding through the crowd, angered once again that Seunghyun was still so close to Dantalion, “What are you doing.”

Dantalion feigned ignorance and looked surprised, “Why I’m just reading a book?”

“You don’t read,” Jiyong through his hands in the air and rolled his eyes, “You already know everything,” Jiyong as going to shout again when he felt a pair of arms wrap around his waist, “Why me?”

“Honey, calm down, please. We’re all here to have a party, and you’re usually so outgoing, why don’t you join us?”

Jiyong turned around and gently dislodged himself from being encumbered in the woman’s arms, “And who’s us,” he hissed the last word knowing exactly what Eldonna wanted from him.

“Oh you know, the girls.”

“I’m not in the mood, and you know I don’t deal with your kind.”

She pouted and brushed her hand down Jiyong’s arm, “Is that woman, or succubus?”

“Both, Eldonna. Now there are plenty of other men for you to harass.”

“But I want you,” she looked over Jiyong’s shoulder at Seunghyun and smiled widely, “And your handsome friend, oh you didn’t tell anyone you were bringing a guest. Oh, I see how you would be angry with old Dantalion breathing down his neck, you want him all to yourself don’t you?”

“That’s not what this is about,” Jiyong opened his mouth to say something again, we pulled into a warm chested and ushered out of the party. He looked up to see a huge scowl on Seunghyun’s face, “What is wrong with you?”

“I don’t like the way that woman was touching you.”

“What?” Jiyong stopped letting himself be dragged and noticed the look in Seunghyun’s face; he only noticed because he had that same look once before, “Seunghyun whatever you’re feeling right now isn’t you. Besides, envy is a sin.” Jiyong gently touched Seunghyun’s arm, “We all know you don’t like me that much to care even a smidgen.”

“What are you talking about Jiyong?” Seunghyun’s eyebrows creased, and he cocked his head to the side, “Of course I care about you.”

In the distance, Jiyong could hear the melodious laughter of Dantalion, “Please not again.”