Chapter 3

Demon In The Woods

"So, what is it I have to do now?"

 

Jiyong was a ways away from Seunghyun, humming to himself and practically ignoring Seunghyun.

 

"Are you ignoring me!?" Seunghyun stood up and walked over to the demon, eyes blazing that he would have the audacity to ignore him, especially because the demon was the only company he could keep, "Demon!"

 

"I do have a name you know, and you'd do well to learn it." Jiyong glared up at Seunghyun, his lips pressed into a thin line and body rigid.

 

"A filthy demon such as yourself deserves no name."

 

Jiyong was fed up, for days, upon weeks, Seunghyun had been giving him attitude, egging him on. He's figured he would give Seunghyun some time to call down, but his patience was wearing thin and he deserved respect from someone as lowly as a human, "My name is what defines me." Jiyong stood up and grabbed Seunghyun's shirt, "It is a name that is respected throughout hell, even to the devil himself. I have put up with your whining for too long, you shall do well to respect me."

 

Seunghyun smirked, eyes rolling at Jiyong's example of brute strength, "Shut up demon, I will do no such thing. Whether you kill me or not, I will in pain. Do not think that anything you do will scare me."

 

"You are foolish." Jiyong let him go, "Like it or not we are bound together. Your soul belongs to me. I have told you this many times, you are nothing but a slave to me." Jiyong took in a deep breath, "Nothing more than a slave."

 

"You're nasty, you are, just filthy. To be owned by a demon, what a mess. And how did you become a demon? Did you murder helpless children? Rob the elderly? Tell me."

 

"I did no such thing, you want to know so bad? I made a deal with the devil, all deals made with the devil sends you to hell. I needed a favor, a favor that he could only do, to save someone that was doomed to die. I was foolish, because no one can cheat death, not even the devil himself."

 

Seunghyun took a step back, almost faltering on his sentence, "You expect me to believe you were that noble?"

 

Jiyong chuckled, "I don't expect you to believe a word I say. I am a demon after all." Jiyong smiled and he sat back down humming again.

 

"I'm not done demon, I want to make my decision."

 

"The year is not up you fool!" Jiyong just wanted to sit in peace and hum his song, but Seunghyun would not let him with his ignorance, "You have a year, use it."

 

"I can't go on like this. Seeing people on the brink of death every day, I can't do it anymore. Spare me, let me die."

 

"Even if I would let you give me your decision now, I could not kill you. I can't cheat death, no one can. It is his decision when your soul shall leave your body." Jiyong looked up at Seunghyun, "So give it a year."

 

"That is too long."

 

"A year is nothing compared to someone who has lived thousands."

 

Seunghyun crossed his arms over his chest and frowned, "I don't care what you feel about it. It's still my life."

 

"No, it isn't, it is only by courtesy that I am letting you choose."

 

"Foul beast."

 

Jiyong groaned, "Enough of the names. I am Jiyong, nothing else. You asked me my name, you repeated it, keep using it, as believe we could be friends." Jiyong stood up and stretched his legs, "Come on, there is another life tonight that needs to be taken."

 

"Another gruesome death."

 

"No, peaceful."

 

Seunghyun hummed in response, a silent grumble escaping his lips as they walked.

 

Jiyong rolled his eyes, Seunghyun would learn sooner or later. He believed Seunghyun could only blame himself for getting into this situation. This is what you get when you tango with a demon. The naive boy will have to face his foolish decision to walk the woods. If only he was as cautious as his peers, he would not be here, "There." Jiyong raised his hand and pointed to a small hut by the edge of the cliff, "The woman is in there."

 

"How is it that you know these things, demon?"

 

Jiyong grit his teeth, "How do I know what?" He snapped in response to Seunghyun's refusal to say his name.

 

Seunghyun didn't even bat an eye to Jiyong's anger, "How do you know who it is that is going to die and when?"

 

"Grim tells me, he is all knowing when it comes to death, as it is his job." Jiyong stayed walking again, "Come or we shall be late."

 

Seunghyun followed Jiyong, "Are we going to knock?"

 

Jiyong snorted, "No, we're going to walk through. She can't get up and open the door anyways." He took Seunghyun's hand and stepped through the door, a solemn look on his face as he watched the woman sleeping on the bed, "Seunghyun, go to her and take her soul, then we shall send it up to heaven."

 

"What if, what if I don't?"

 

Jiyong sighed, "Then she shall be in an eternal sleep. If you do not take her soul, she will forever be in this bed."

 

A frown came over Seunghyun's face. He didn't like doing this over and over again. The thought of taking people's lives was overwhelming, even if it was their time to go. He knelt by the bed and dipped his hand into her heart bringing out an almost pure white soul, 'What do we do now?"

 

Jiyong tsked, looking at the soul in Seunghyun's hands, "We send it up. Too bad, it looks like she could have been one of the special ones."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"The darker the soul is, the more sin someone has done. This one is almost pure white, she'll definitely get her spot up there, but she could have been more. A black soul goes to hell, white heaven, in the middle is stuck here. If your soul is pure white, you are one of the elite."

 

Seunghyun rolled his eyes, "How is it that someone can be pure? We all have a little bad in us."

 

Jiyong Seunghyun's cheek to his dismay and brought his lips to his ear, "There is one way, and that is to sacrifice yourself for another. To save someone from death."

 

"Anyone?"

 

"No, to save an innocent, but of course that doesn't apply to you anymore. You are neither human nor demon. Matter of fact, you are nothing but my humble servant."

 

"Say that again demon." Seunghyun clenched his fist and glared at Jiyong, "I dare you."

 

"Oh shut up, you can't harm me you innocuous being! I need you to understand that if I wanted to I could force you to do anything I want with the sheer power I have. I don't need your help doing this." Jiyong stepped forward, and ran a hand through Seunghyun's hair. His other hand snaking to his waist, "I could use you for whatever I want."

 

Disgusted, Seunghyun pushed Jiyong away, "No wonder no one decided to stay with you, you're disgusting."

 

Jiyong frowned and crossed his arms over his chest, "You're the one that makes me this way. I'm a lot nicer than you think."