Chapter 2

Demon In The Woods

"Say goodbye to happiness, your soul is mine Seunghyun." Jiyong ran his hand down Seunghyun's cheek and grinned at the expression on his face, "I am the one you shall obey, the one you will always listen to, your soul is mine Seunghyun, say goodbye to your happiness."

 

"This isn't funny anymore." Seunghyun gulped. Daesung had gone out leaving him with the retched being that was Jiyong.

 

"I never said this was a joke, I've been waiting Seunghyun, and of boy we will have some fun." Jiyong laughed and he laughed, he laughed till he could laugh no more, "We have work to do my love, so many things. We shall travel the world you and I."

 

Seunghyun sneered at the demon, reeling at the pet name he gave him, "I am not your love, and I will not work with you for anything."

 

"Not even for your soul to move on to heaven. So you would risk damnation?" 

 

Seunghyun's Rhea widened, "What do you mean?"

 

"You asked me my name you signed the deal. You are mine till your clock is up. By day beautiful, by night a monster, which path will you choose my Seunghyun?" Jiyong giggled, he was delighted. It had been so long since he had someone under his wing. He had been waiting for nearly a century for someone to show up, and as handsome as Seunghyun was, he was nearly worth the wait.

 

There was a long silence before Seunghyun decided to speak up, his lip trembling as he spoke, "What is it that I have to do"

 

"We are the devils keepers, we take the souls that are going to hell. We release the souls that are going to heaven. You shall help me do work till the day you die, or choose to stay and help me forever, but remember time is ticking. You only have till your death to do make a decision. Do you want to stay with me or die and move on when your time is done?"

 

"Why would I ever want to stay with you forever?" Seunghyun thought the nerve of Jiyong to think he would need that long to think it through.

 

"Be careful making a decision now, you may grow to like me later."

 

"Why would I you're nothing but a nuisance."

 

Jiyong only smiled, "Give it a year and we shall see then."

 

"Had anyone ever wanted to stay with you?"

 

A small sigh escaped the demons lips, "If so would I be here?"

 

"Then why wait a year? When you know I'll just say no in the end."

 

"You might regret it, just maybe you might." Jiyong swallowed and then he clasped his hands together, getting rid of the subject at hand and moving to a more dismal one, "Your first job is very close, oh yes it is. I'm afraid this soul we keep, for his deeds have been naughty, and he'll die for them." Jiyong grinned, eyes brightening as he thought about the job.

 

Seunghyun couldn't help but think it was the old man who lived by himself down the way. He had a creepy feel to him and was due for a funeral.

 

"The devil's keepers, the Grim reapers helpers, I'm so excited, aren't you?"

 

"Excited to do the from reapers job? Are you kidding me, why can't be do it?"

 

The demon scoffed, "You would be so lucky to have ole Grim visit you, a man can only do so many in one night. The more the world grows the more helpers he gets, and hell is full, hell is very full. This world is sinfully delicious." He popped up from the room and started walking, "Come with me Seunghyun we have work to do."

 

Seunghyun figured he had no choice but to follow the demon, as skeptical as he may be, "Who is it, who's dying?"

 

"Oh you'll see, you'll see." They walked to what seemed like the farthest reaches of land and came across another village being pillaged and burned down, "Oh this one has been doing this for a long time."

 

"Are we here for all of the pillagers?"

 

"No just one, he is scheduled to die tonight." Jiyong kept walking, a small grin on his lips, towards a shot that rang through the darkness.

 

"A gun shot." Seunghyun was surprised, guns were rare in these parts. They walked into a small hut, and a gasp escaped Seunghyun's lips, "No."

 

"Oh yes Seunghyun, he is the one we seek, and you shall be doing the honors."

 

"Dae? What are you doing here?" Seunghyun knelt next to Daesung and his hair.

 

"He can't hear you, he's in too much pain. You must take his soul so we can take him to hell where he belongs." Jiyong knelt next to Seunghyun, "Take your hands and dip it into his heart and pull his soul out."

 

"What?" Seunghyun couldn't fathom any words coming out of Jiyong's mouth, he was frightened at the look in Daesung's eyes and he didn't know what he could do to rectify this, "How could you bring me here?"

 

"It's your job now, let me guide your hands." Jiyong took Seunghyun's hands, which were shaking, and dipped them into Daesung's heart and pulled out the little black soul.

 

"How could I do that?"

 

"I told you, you are my helper now. An assistant to a devil's assistant. A special one at that. You could only be so lucky."

 

 "What makes you so special?"

 

The demon grinned, pulling Seunghyun up and placing Daesung's soul in a small rucksack, "A reaper is specially chosen, one from hell is rare. There aren't many demon reapers out there, I am on of three." Jiyong chuckled, but enough of that, we must leave.

 

Jiyong was surprised at how well Seunghyun was taking everything. Many people would have broken down by then, but not Seunghyun. That was what he thought till when they went and rested Seunghyun had went on a path of his own. It was then that he sobbed, morning his friend, and the loss of a normal life.

 

Jiyong new now that convincing Seunghyun to stay with him should be harder than ever. As Daesung's soul being the first soul Seunghyun had taken, was entirely a coincidence.

 

"Demon." Seunghyun whispered back from his time alone.

 

Jiyong noted that Seunghyun had stopped calling him by his name, "Yes Seunghyun?"

 

"Is it your intention to kill me through depression? To make me witness my biggest fears and have me die with my own hands?"

 

"If you don't choose immortality, then your own hands will not be the hands that kill you."

 

Seunghyun glared at Jiyong, "Then it be you?"

 

"No, not me, but mother nature."

 

"How?"

 

Jiyong scoffed, "I can not tell you. I've already said too much." He stoked the fire and warmed his hands, "Whatever your fate may be, you shall not know it. I can not stop it."

 

Seunghyun toed the dirt beneath his feet, "Why was Daesung's soul black?"

 

"Your friend feared unknown monsters in the woods rightfully so, but he was not afraid of what would become of him from his sinful deeds. While you were out fishing he was making money. It started with pickpocketing, to robbing small stores, and then pillaging with a band of thieves. He was good on the outside, but the inside was as black as coal. He kept his secret well, till it ultimately killed him."

 

"I refuse to believe it."

 

"Believe what you will, but I don't take innocent souls to hell." Jiyong sighed, "I am sorry you had to witness his death, but it had to be done."

 

"Did it, did I have to do it?"

 

"You are bound to me, yes, yes you did."

 

Seunghyun sat in silence wondering how do easily everything could be taken away from him. It was only days ago that he could remember laughing with Daesung so innocently. Now he was dragged into a world that he thought was only in story books, "I hate you."

 

Jiyong did not frown or smile at that, he simply nodded, "That is not the first time I've heard that, nor will it be the last."