The Date

Blind Date and Blind Fate

Kyungsoo was able to convince himself that it was only right to dress up for a blind date, even if just to appear somewhat put together for the other person. He claimed he wasn’t actually trying to seduce anyone or anything like that, he just wanted to look professional. Baekhyun teased his preppy fashion taste, but still gave enough support that Kyungsoo didn’t change. He was wearing a striped sweater with a pair of his nice skinny jeans. Baekhyun had offered up his own skinny jeans, and Kyungsoo said he didn’t want to come off as desperate to which he received a hard hit on the shoulder from Baekhyun.

            “I guess I’m ready! I’ll be going then…” Kyungsoo nervously started towards the door. Baekhyun laughed and pulled him back.

            “You’ve got a whole hour before the date, relax Soo for god’s sake.” Baekhyun pulled him to sit on his bed, and the stood facing him seriously.

            “Since your parents aren’t here, I’m going to be the parent. First of all, if he hurts you, then he’ll have me to deal with. Don’t let him be rude to you, or say inappropriate things, remember dating is supposed to be fun and fluffy during the first couple of dates, so don’t let him coerce you into anything. Also, in case things get heated IN A COMPLETELY CONSENSUAL WAY, do you hear me, COMPLETELY CONSENSUAL, then here’s a and a rip open pack of lube. I hear your date is packing some major heat down below, so you’ll need that. That’s ONLY for just in case, best case scenario you won’t need that.” Baekhyun had handed the packets to Kyungsoo, and Kyungsoo’s face turned red.

            “I’m not having on the first date, Baek, come on.” He tried to hand it back, but Baekhyun refused.

            “Take it, I will not be responsible for your ual diseases.”

            Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and slipped the packets in the back right pocket of his jeans.

            “Also, I should tell you about your date, I guess.”

            “Yeah some information would be nice.” Kyungsoo’s foot tapped nervously.

            “He’s really tall, taller than Chanyeol even. I know you like height. Also, he’s a big fan of dying his hair, I think recently it was blonde. Um, right! He’s not from around here, he’s actually Chinese, and speaks like 4 languages. Also, you can identify him today because he’ll be wearing a sweater with a Chinese character on it, he’s really fashionable.”

            “He sounds like a cool guy.” Kyungsoo shrugged.

            “Oh I hope you guys hit it off. If you guys get married, you owe me like your first born child or something.” Baekhyun laughed.

            “Baekhyun. I’m gay, and he’s a boy, whose first born are you talking about?” Kyungsoo laughed, teasing Baekhyun’s mistake.

            “You know what I mean! You just owe me big okay!!” Baekhyun was pretend-angry and also laughing very hard, realizing his own mess up.

            The boys joked around a little more before Baekhyun advised Kyungsoo to get going. They both figured it was better to be early, rather than late.

            The café where the date was supposed to take place wasn’t a very busy place, but there were still people coming in and out at a quick enough pace to make Kyungsoo’s neck hurt. For every time the little bell above the front door chimed, Kyungsoo’s head would whip around to see if he could see any Chinese characters. They were supposed to meet up for coffee at 3pm, and Kyungsoo got himself seated at around 2:30, just too early for his liking. With all of his nervous energy, he decided to call Baekhyun so he didn’t look so lonely.

            “Baek are you sure I’m at the right place, this is the one on Wright Street, and that’s where I’m supposed to be, right?”

            Kyungsoo heard laughter on the other line. “Yes that’s the right place, your guy just texted Chanyeol saying he’s on his way there. I don’t know how long it’s gonna take him so just be patient. He had a crappy car too, so god only knows.” Baekhyun was being rambly per usual, but Kyungsoo found it comforting in this situation.

            “He’s blonde with a Chinese character on his shirt, right?”

            “Yep”

            “Okay, then I guess I’ll just keep trying not to look desperate while reeking of desperation.” Kyungsoo joked. Baekhyun laughed, and then made a weird squealing noise.

            “Um I gotta go, Chanyeol keeps poking me.” Baekhyun giggled, whispering something Kyungsoo couldn’t hear.

            “Gross. Bye.” Kyungsoo hung up, glad he was out of his room.

            It was about 3:30pm now and Baekhyun wasn’t picking up. Kyungsoo tried to calm himself by reminding himself about what Baekhyun had said, the guy was probably just running late, maybe he lived far away. Kyungsoo decided to use the waiting time to think of possible conversation topics to use. He marked some topics as no-go topics, and some as yellow light for if he wanted to deepen the conversation or if he wanted to delve more into this guy’s personal life.

            “Do you want another coffee?” The waitress asked, looking slightly concerned.

            “Um, more caffeine probably won’t do me well.” Kyungsoo laughed, “Can I just get some water?”

            “Sure! No problem.”

            Soon, his water was gone, and it was 4pm. The café closed at 5pm, and the traffic was slowing down. Kyungsoo noticed another nervous looking guy about his age across the room and they made eye contact. Kyungsoo gave an awkward shy wave, trying to encourage whoever it was, and the guy gave him a sweet smile back. Kyungsoo focused back on his empty water cup, and tried Baekhyun’s number again.

            “You’ve reached Baekhyun! I’m either ignoring you, or more likely, just not able to get to the phone right now. If you leave a m-“ Kyungsoo hung up the phone. Baekhyun hadn’t instructed him on how long to wait before coming back. He didn’t have any plans for this situation. What if he was being stood up? What if during that one trip to the bathroom, the guy had come in, seen Kyungsoo and decided that he wasn't the right type and left? What if there was no one coming to see him and this was some elaborate prank Baekhyun did to get alone time with Chanyeol? Was Baekhyun that ty of a friend?