Friendly Introduction

Blind Date and Blind Fate

“Hello, I’m Kai.” He introduced.

Chanyeol nodded and Baekhyun walked up to him as though inspecting an artifact of some sort, pacing around him and making occasional noises with his mouth that gave no sign of approval nor disapproval.

“He’s kinda hot Kyungsoo, where did you kidnap him? Does he have money? Should I be worried about the police?”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, “This is Kai, and he’s a friend I made today. We both got stood up on blind dates.” Kyungsoo stated matter-of-factly. He moved slightly closer to the obviously uncomfortable Kai, to try and show his support.

“YOU got stood up?” Baekhyun’s eyes bulged, as though the idea was ridiculous. Chanyeol squinted suspiciously at Baekhyun and Baekhyun waved the gaze off. To this movement, Chanyeol scooted a bit closer to his flirtatious boyfriend possessively.

“Um, yes I did. My friend was trying to set me up, but they never showed up so I guess that is called being stood up.” Kai smiled, and looked at Kyungsoo for a positive reaction. Kyungsoo nodded in his direction.

“Oh and you must be Chanyeol, Baekhyun’s tall boyfriend.” Kai stuck out his hand for a shake. Chanyeol laughed at the description, and enthusiastically shook Kai’s hand.

“Is that how Kyungsoo is describing me these days?” Chanyeol shook his head before turning to Kyungsoo, “Also D.O I’m so sorry Kris didn’t show up. He said something about going to the wrong place and then something about meeting an old friend, I don’t really know what happened, but I feel responsible.” He hung his head in apology, and Kyungsoo let silence hang in the air for a moment.

“Uh… Don’t be so down, I guess. I mean it turned out all right in the end, right?” Kyungsoo scratched the back of his neck nervously, not liking all of the sudden attention. An awkward silence followed his words, then suddenly a hand was ruffling his hair in a comforting way, and Kyungsoo looked up to see a smiling Kai.

“You’re darn right!” Kai turned to Baekhyun and Chanyeol, “I mean he had never had street pancakes before! Can you believe it? If that guy Kris had come, he may have never had any pancakes! I saved him from a terrible fate of no pancakes.” Kai winked, hinting at his facetiousness.  Baekhyun met Kai’s gaze with a contemplating face for a moment before smiling.

“I like you, you’re welcome here for now. Would you like to stay for ice cream and a movie? I bought tons because I thought Kyungsoo would be a blubbering lonely mess!” Baekhyun laughed loudly, Kyungsoo glared viciously into his head.

“I’m up for ice cream and a movie as long as no one minds. Do you mind Kyungsoo?” Kai asked politely. Kyungsoo stopped glaring long enough to give his response.

“I don’t mind.”

They had settled on watching some sappy love movie that was the epitome of a “chick-flick.” Baekhyun claimed it was healing for being stood up, and Kyungsoo argued that neither Baekhyun nor Chanyeol had been stood up and thus half of the people didn't need any "healing". In the end, Baekhyun won because he gave his puppy-dog face to Chanyeol and Kyungsoo, as well as argued that he had already bought all this ice cream and an action movie or scary movie did not fit the ice cream vibe. Kai watched amusedly as all this took place, and sat comfortable next to a now pouting Kyungsoo on the couch. Baekhyun and Chanyeol decided to get disgustingly cozy on the loveseat.

“This is going to be terribly cliché and romantic I’m sorry for your eyes Kai.” Kyungsoo apologized formally. Kai laughed, and ruffled Kyungsoo’s hair, it seemed that was becoming a habit.

“If I get tired of the movie I can always enjoy the other view.” Kai joked, motioning towards Kyungsoo.

“That’s my line!” Kyungsoo almost stood up, remembering how close he was to using a similar line just a little while ago. It wasn’t fair that suddenly Kai was using it in a more suave fashion than Kyungso could have ever managed.

“Oh… Sorry?” Kai looked thoroughly confused, and somewhat apologetic. Kyungsoo blushed furiously and ignored Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s snickering faces.

“No it’s just, I was gonna say something like that earlier, but it was early, I mean it’s not my line, I was just thinking it, I mean I don’t own words, no one owns words, unless you count copyright I guess, but that’s not what I mean, well wait, just-“

“Relax.” Kai singularly commanded softly. He put a comforting hand on Kyungsoo’s arm, trying to get him to relax his tensed muscles.

“I appreciate the compliment that you were too shy to say earlier, now enjoy the movie you cutie.” Kai smiled really big to show that he was not thrown off by Kyungsoo’s nerves.

“Awwwwww. He’s a keeper, Soo. That was so cute I’m going to die. You know what, you guys can even use our dorm tonight I’ll go stay with Chanyeol.” Baekhyun started to get excited. Kyungsoo blushed and reached over to smack Baekhyun on the leg so he would shut up. Chanyeol gave a heavy laugh, snuggling impossibly closer to the boy he never could seem to get enough of.

“Turn on the movie you .” Kyungsoo grumbled, settling back into the couch, a smiling Kai giving him a pageant worthy smile, obviously enjoying himself.

Turns out it was as boring as Kyungsoo thought it would be. About halfway through the movie he had already figured out how this movie was going to end, and the girl’s constant whining about having too many love choices was getting on his nerves. He had already eaten about a half gallon of Rocky Road ice cream, and now he was just plain sleepy. At some point, Kai had pulled a smooth move of putting his arm around Kyungsoo without Kyungsoo even noticing. Kyungsoo’s reaction to realizing this was first suspicion. Kai seemed exceedingly comfortable with him, not only that, but he was a little too good at making Kyungsoo comfortable. What if he was a player?

Kyungsoo started to wonder about the guy whose arm was around him. He was worried he was a serial heart breaker, and maybe he was the next victim. Or what if he was some kind of crazy murderer who wooed victims before killing them? Kyungsoo had heard that psychopaths were usually very charming, luring in prey as if they were friends before pouncing.

At the same time he entertained these thoughts, Kai’s warmth became more and more comfortable. Kyungsoo had been right that Kai was just tall enough, because he fit properly into the crook of his shoulder. Kai’s steady breath made his chest rise and fall with a peaceful rhythm. It only took a few minutes for Kyungsoo’s thoughts to be overcome by the sleep pulling at his eyes.

Just before drifting to sleep, he could hear some whispers from the others in the room, but he was too far gone to respond.

“Look how cute he is, all curled up, that is the most adorable thing I think he has ever done since he was a baby probably.” Baekhyun whispered excitedly.

“Hey, Baekhyun can stay at my dorm if you want to just crash here and not wake him up. He probably wouldn’t mind if you woke him up though, he’ll be embarrassed if he wakes up and you’re still there.” Chanyeol suggested. Baekhyun hit him on the arm lightly.

"We can just stay in my room. It's not like we'll keep them up." Baekhyun gave a pointed look to Chanyeol who just gave a confused nod. 

Kyungsoo felt Kai’s voice rumble through his chest, solidifying his slumber.

“I can’t leave him now, he’s too cute. Hand me my phone, I’ll just text my roommate that I’ll be out.” Kai whispered ever so softly.

Kyungsoo was then 100% sure that Kai must not be human, because that was surely the tone of a siren luring him to his imminent death.