Living in a Deceiving Reality

The Moonflower Hotel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For the next few days, Bum wandered around the domain. It was weird because winter passed and it got pretty warm. It smelled really strange, as well. The sun was shining brightly on the sky yet it still felt chilly. But that wasn’t the problem. The problem was that it smelled like the ground was burning.

Bum was bound to get lost at some point and he did. He walked into the forest with the thought of finding the lake. He remembered the way but he still got lost somehow. The trees were tall and they mysteriously bloomed over the night. He touched the trunk of a tree and frowned. It felt very soft and malleable. He looked for some kind of insects but there were none.

As he walked deeper into the forest he realized the grass was the one giving off that burning smell. He tore a blade of grass and pulled it close to his nose. His nose scrunched up in disgust. He threw it away and left.

When he walked inside the hotel, Jaejin noticed the disgusted expression he had. Bum couldn’t believe how thick the smell was.

“Is there something wrong?” The receptionist asked. His expression was pretty much the same, though.

Bum glanced at the young man over his shoulder and shook his head. He hurried up the stairs yet when he passed the mirror, he slightly slowed down.

Jaejin frowned. It’s been such a long time since someone got entranced by the hotel. Kim Bum was an innocent victim. He wasn’t like the rest.

“He’s just a fad. She’s going to play with him for a while and get rid of him when she will get bored.” He mumbled under his breath. He glanced over his shoulder, just in case someone heard him. No one was close enough but he caught sight of Youngmin’s cold eyes from the restaurant.

 

Nari was staring at a painting on the third floor. The man in the painting was smiling happily while holding his wife’s hand. Nari’s eyes scanned the painting to the smallest and most refined line. Her favorite part was the woman. Her eyes were beautiful and held nothing evil. She was an angel that came on Earth to bring joy. She was sure she was never going to meet that angel. It was too far for her to grasp. It was too bright for her to look at. It was just impossible.

“Excuse me?” The manly tone wasn’t familiar. She blinked before she turned her head to the new man. She recognized him as the new guest. No; it wasn’t just a guest. “I know you said it’s alright if I don’t pay my stay here but I thought about it and I can’t accept that. Let me at least repay you in some way.” His facial expression was easy to read. He was sincere and blunt.

“In time, Joon. All the right things happen at the right moment. Your moment is not here yet.” Joon blinked in confusion. He didn’t understand what she meant but it didn’t sound good.

 

Joon was on his way back to his room when something caught his eye. It was a mirror hung opposite a portrait. He walked closer and stared at the reflection of the portrait. He was so intrigued that he leaned closer. He almost hit his head into the mirror but it was worth it. He saw the face of the man in the portrait shift. He swore he saw him frown, as well.  He turned around, quickly, but nothing seemed out of order. He looked back into the mirror and saw the face of the man, glaring at him. In one fast movement, his face came out of the mirror and snarled at John. The young man screamed and fell back. His heart was beating terribly fast and his legs were trembling in fear.

“What was that?” He asked himself.

 

Downstairs, Bum was standing at the bar, drinking glass after glass of scotch. The one giving the alcohol to him was none other than Abel.

"This hotel is weird." Youngmin heard Bum mumble while he was drinking. The young man raised an eyebrow and leaned against the bar. He didn't even think about responding to him. Once Bum raised his head, Youngmin could see the light fading slowly from Victor's eyes. "Did your new guest arrive? I remember you said something about it."

"He arrived." Youngmin responded in his usual cold voice. His answers were usually one or two syllables so it surprised Bum when Youngmin opened his mouth to say more. "He is wandering the hotel on his own. You may meet him."

For some reason it sounded a lot like Youngmin was giving him the approval to meet that guest. Besides, Bum was sure he didn't know whoever the new guest was; it was a guy from what he understood but that was all.

"Hey, kid! Pour me anything this guy is drinking but make it double!" Youngmin eyed the new person before he scowled and left.

Bum was dumbstruck. He was sure he heard the voice of a friend and colleague. When the man sat next to him, Bum's head turned to the opposite side. For some reason, he didn't want to assure himself that he was right.

Youngmin came fast with the drink and placed it in front of the new man. He didn't leave, like a normal bartender; he remained there like a statue.

"Ah, this hotel is really high quality," The man continued. "Though it's low profile." He added quickly in low murmur. His attention moved on Bum and the older man could feel the eyes on his head. "Is the hotel treating you the best too?" Bum nodded. "Good. It feels like it procures everything you need; like magic." Youngmin raised an eyebrow and leaned forward.

"How did you get here?" Bum asked. The man raised an eyebrow and placed his hand on his shoulder. Bum tensed.

"You remind me of a friend. He's usually the one who answers questions with other questions. Smartass bastard. Always the intellectual but he is a great architect." Bum couldn't help but smile a bit.

Joon was a man with pride and didn’t linger on the stranger for long. He straightened his back and glanced over his shoulder. He noticed someone entering and sitting at the far table, near the window. Unlike Bum, he felt like sharing his opinion out loudly.

“That woman right there; she looks so lonely.” Joon mumbled. Bum took a peek over his shoulder and realized the stranger was talking about Ji Eun. He suddenly started to remember the woman from the portrait. She and Ji Eun were identical but wore different dresses. “She looks like she’s fading.” Joon continued.

Bum frowned and turned his attention back on his glass of alcohol. When Joon made a sign to Youngmin to bring him another drink, he saw Bum’s profile. That was enough for him to recognize his former colleague.

“Kim Bum?!” The surprise was only on Joon’s side. Bum’s mind was full of questions.

Youngmin’s eyes could see the sudden change in Bum’s behavior. Those orbs were staring at the young man with intensity.  He remembered what Jaejin told them, about the mirror. Bum stopped and looked at the mirror not at his reflection in it. That only meant he started to figure it out. The last person who did that was Jaejin himself. Once he realized what the mirror was, the magic the life out of him.

Ji Eun glanced at the bar and smiled when she saw Joon jumping on Bum in happiness. Once she felt the cold gaze of two brown eyes, her smile dropped and she turned to look on the window. Ji Eun sighed when she remembered what Bum was.

“A fuss,” She mumbled under her hand. “An offering to the Devil.”

 

“Kim Bum! My God, how did you get here? No, wait. Where have you bee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter