He Entered a Place that Not Many Knew Of

The Moonflower Hotel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bum woke up to the sound of whispers. He couldn’t understand a word they were saying because it was dialect; a heavy one, to be specific. He could make up some words like ‘man’ or ‘accident’ but he wasn't able to understand everything.

Once he started to move and groan, the voices stopped. He opened his eyes only to close them back a few moments later. He heard someone say something and the curtains closed giving him the time to try again and successfully open his eyes. His vision was still a little blurry but he could make out who was around him; on his left were two men, dressed very fancy, with matching black hair and black eyes and on his right was a petite woman who seemed in between ages.

“You shouldn’t move too much or your head will hurt.” Her Busan accent was really heavy and he could barely understand what she said. 

Bum shifted and leaned his head against the wall. He was in a bed and the others were staring at him like he was a ghost.

“Where am I?” His voice was hoarse. The petite woman handed him a glass of water and he gulped it down in one go, “How did I get here?”

“He asks a lot of questions, doesn’t he?” One of the men said to the other. He got a light punch in the shoulder as response.

“You’ve been in an accident. You’re lucky they found you or else you would be dead.” 

Bum frowned, not because he barely made out what she said but because he couldn’t remember a thing.

“An accident?” She nodded, “Who found me?”

She turned towards the two boys.

“We only carried you here. The one who found you was Mistress.” The second boy nodded.

“She took care of your head wound. You were lucky. She doesn’t do good deeds for anybody.” 

Their accents sounded very different from what he imagined. One thing he knew for sure: none were from Jeju and their eyes were scary. The intensity they were holding in their gazes was overwhelming, he couldn’t help but feel intimidated. Of course, that didn’t mean he admitted it.

“Well, thank you then,” 

The men raised an eyebrow and chuckled bemusedly. He turned to look questioningly at the woman. 

“For how long have I been here?”

“A year.” The woman responded softly.

His eyes widened and he got out of bed fast. He looked down only to see he was wearing unfamiliar clothes; they were comfortable and seemed very expensive. Now that he was taking a closer look at his surroundings, everything was expensive. His eyes stopped on a painting before he walked in front of it and gasped.

“That’s a Michelangelo,” He whispered in bewilderment. 

He turned towards the strangers quickly and looked at the bed. It was located close to the windows and had a wood table right across. The room didn’t have a TV but it had a gramophone. He walked towards the bed and touched the sheets. They were natural fabric, very soft too. He knew how expensive and old fashioned it was. 

“Where am I?”

“The Moonflower Hotel.” They said in sync. 

That was both strange and entrancing.

Themselves, as human beings, looked and acted very strange. He didn’t know them but he was getting the feeling that he didn’t want to know more about them. The woman left quickly after she smiled softly at him. The men didn’t.

“What’s wrong?” Bum asked warily.

The taller one walked closer and stared at him with a blank face.

“My name is Youngmin and that’s my brother, Kwangmin. We are in charge of rooms and accommodation here, at the hotel. If you ever need something, we will come to you.” He cracked a charming smile and walked out, his brother following close.

Once he was left all alone in the room, Bum sighed. He looked for his back or something that he supposedly had with him before the accident but couldn’t find anything; not even his clothes. He spent another two hours standing and inspecting his room. It was magnificent down to the smallest detail; he couldn’t believe he had never seen that hotel before.

But of course, as any other human, he got bored. He had nothing to entertain himself with therefore, he ventured outside. The halls were so long and complicated; just like a labyrinth. There weren’t many rooms but of course, he could imagine why that was.

“One room must cost a fortune and the material invested in it must be even more,” He mumbled as he touched the wall.

He didn’t know for how long he wandered around but he entered yet another corridor. It was simple and had more rooms; at the end of it, he found an empty space where only a white piano was standing proudly in the middle.

“I see you went for a look,” 

He flinched when he suddenly heard the Busan accent. He smiled at the woman and nodded. 

“My name is Eunji. I’ve been part of the staff here for a very long time.” He nodded and smiled, “Very long time, Mr. Kim.” She repeated. 

He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. She brushed the last comment as if it didn’t mean anything and smiled at him before she left.

Bum trailed his fingers along the white keys, smiling softly when he pressed on a few and the sound resonated in the whole hotel.

"Do you know how to play?" 

He raised his head and looked into a pair of beautiful brown eyes. The guest couldn't express how beautiful the woman was. Her face was empty of any make up yet it looked flawless. 

"Oh, pardon me. Did I interrupt you?" She seemed genuinely embarrassed, turning around ready to leave when he stopped her.

"No! No." He coughed his shame away and walked to her, "Are you part of the staff here?" 

She shook her head, "No. I am only a guest." 

He could feel the corner if his lips rising no matter how hard he wanted not to.

"I'm Kim Bum. Nice to meet you, Miss-" 

Her eyes widened and she took a step back when he grabbed her hand and kissed it.

"Jieun. Song Jieun."

"You're from Seoul,"He noticed.

"You sound surprised," 

He chuckled and grabbed a hand through his hair, "I met some people from the staff. They're not from around here either." 

Jieun's eyes got a mischievous glint and a wide smile spread on her face, "Oh, Kim Bum. You have no idea," 

Bum stared at her with amusement. She seemed like fun and he was glad he met her. 

"Would you like to accompany me to dinner?"

"Sure,"

"Have you stayed here for long?" He asked as he followed her down the stairs.

"Not exactly. I come and go as I see fit," 

He nodded and kept that in mind.

"Do you live in Jeju?" 

She glanced at him over her shoulder with a little smirk.

"Why? You want to visit me?" He laughed a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter