Chapter 7

Chasing a Starlight

A/N: Meep has returned with an enigma for you guys, as you will see when you read the chapter. ^^ Just to make sure nobody is confused, this is entirely from Young’s POV.

I had another one of those dreams again. When I woke up, I could finally sigh relieved, knowing my life was still on track. I lied awake for a few minutes, trying to piece everything together and, when I felt ready, I took my dream journal to add another entry. The reason I kept one was yet another mystery that I felt determined to solve. I noticed that every once in a while I kept having recurring nightmares. Since the dreaming process is the product of the subconscious, I got the impression there was something I needed to understand in order to make them stop.

The thing that bothered me the most was that they were always about my childhood. I remember virtually nothing since before I started school, it’s all a blur. My parents told me that we survived a huge fire when I was five and that they had to renovate the house after that. They believed I forgot everything because I voluntarily repressed the trauma I felt as a kid. It also explains why, most of the time, I wake up when everything turns to ashes. Were my dreams pure imagination or distorted memories? I leafed through the previous pages, searching for a pattern.

 

18th of October - I’m home. The house catches fire while I’m in bed, in my old room. I’m under six years old. I’m surrounded by smoke and keep seeing dark figures emerging from it, approaching me and trying to hurt me until I wake up.

22nd of October - Thieves sneak into the house. I’m around eight years old. They only steal paintings. I think they might’ve been portraits?

29th of October - I’m a child again, on camp with my friends from school.  The campfire grows bigger and I’m the only one who doesn’t die. After that, I’m surrounded by kids with no faces.

3rd of November - I can see family portraits on the walls. Mom takes them and burns them, until the whole house catches fire. I run out. Mom is next to me and she grips my wrist and drags me along.

4th of November - I’m in a big room with the kids with no faces. They share bunk beds and wear identical clothes. None of them realizes I’m there.

10th of November - I’m back at home in my room. When I look in the mirror, I have no face.

17th of November - I’m home. I go downstairs to the kitchen in the middle of the night and on the hallway I see a painting (like the ones from 22.10?). I look at it and realize it was supposed to be the portrait of a family of three, but there are no faces. Perhaps the child in the middle was supposed to be me?

25th of November - Home. Mom put all of the decorations in the living room in boxes and then took them to the attic.

After reading them all, I added the one from last night.

27th of November - My parents are each holding one of my hands and we’re together in the living room. When I look up at them, I notice they have no faces and they burst into spontaneous combustion.

 

Despite being distressing and sinister, the dreams were also full of hints that, if I tried to connect, didn't match. Assuming I was physically injured after the incident, it would make sense if the big blank room full of other children that I dreamt of was from the pediatric wing of a hospital. But what kind of injury would that be? I never got burnt. There was also the possibility of something happening as I was running away, such as breaking a bone or having a concussion. Considering I did suffer emotional trauma, I could’ve simply been there for a psychiatric assessment as well.

However, none of the other “memories” really connected. Was the house so different when I returned that I felt as if thieves stole the decorations? Or as if my mother hid them all in the attic? Why didn’t I and my parents, in the end, have faces? And was I so afraid of truly losing them in another fire that I’d have nightmares of it even now? I also know for a fact I don’t remember seeing any kind of portrait or painting anywhere. Why was it such an important detail for my subconscious?

After a long while of trying pointlessly, I decided to give up for the moment. Perhaps after gathering more clues, the results would also be more satisfying. I was tempted to return home for a few days just to inspect the house and go up into the attic.

Putting a rest to this issue, I started my morning routine and then headed to Jongin’s house to babysit. I couldn’t lie, I did enjoy this much better than working in an office. I didn’t have to dress up, be constantly bored to death or be around people in a noisy environment. And last but not least, Sunyeon was the cutest baby on Earth. He rarely cried and hearing him laughing was a remedy for any kind of heartache. Time passed calmly and I could focus on anything I wanted to do whenever he was asleep.

Jongin returned home at the same hour as usual and, after a polite little chat, I started gathering my things.

“Don’t you want to stay for dinner?” He looked at me smiling. “I’m going to cook something real quick.”

It had been so long since I had a warm cooked meal that I couldn’t resist. I never really enjoyed using the dorm kitchen, so I ended up ordering take out most of the time or buying things from convenience stores.

“I’ll stay if you let me help you.”

“You don’t have to,” he seemed confused.

“I want to. I miss cooking.” I smiled and got closer.

“Alright then, if you insist.”

For a while, we cooked side by side. We made a great team and we were done in no time. Having dinner with him again after all those years felt so domestic, but I still had the impression I wasn’t supposed to be there, in a huge house with a bit too many windows. At least we were finally starting to warm up to each other again.

A/N: Can you guess the meaning of the dreams? If you want to find out the truth, stay tuned for more! *radio presenter voice* xD Nah, really, if you're curious, subscribe! :3