Chapter 9

Chasing a Starlight

As the New Year was approaching, so did the moment to revise the company’s status, along with making a solid plan for the upcoming months. After summoning the board members, we held a conference in which we discussed all of the current issues and went over the changes that needed to be made. Once I presented my ideas and the meeting ended, I was surprised that some of the experienced board members came up to me to shake my hand.

“If all goes well, this year might be the most productive for us so far,” one of them said.

“Indeed. You seem to know how things are going around here.”

“I honestly didn’t think anyone would consider making that budget cut. I was going to suggest it myself.”

I felt overwhelmed by all of the support and congratulations, so all I could do was smile and accept the positive feedback.

“If I think of it, ever since you got in charge things have already started to get better. I must say I had my doubts at first, the moment Mr. Kim said he’ll pass the job onto you I was sure it was a classical case of nepotism, but I was wrong.”

“The future seems to be promising.”

“Indeed. Maybe going back to the bachelor life is also a better match for you?”

All of them ended up laughing vigorously, the atmosphere becoming even lighter than before.

“Now, let’s not make assumptions,” another one cut in. “As long as you’re not married to a malicious woman you should be fine.”

This called for another round of laughs and I couldn’t help but agree. Ever since the divorce, things started getting better and better. Of course, the improvement was something Young could easily take all the credit for.

Getting home, I realized we really had to take down the Christmas decorations, but I had no intention to suggest it. Since we put them up, it’s been a much more welcoming home, one that I enjoyed returning to. And also one where, for a different reason than the one I was truly craving, Young was waiting for me.

“How was work?” She looked at me smiling.

“It was actually nice. I had a good day.”

“I cooked dinner. And I want to hear about your day.”

She had the same happy expression and in my head the confusion was growing. I wanted to picture her as my lover, living with me and sometimes cooking dinner for me as a sign of affection, but I couldn’t. Just like in the past, I knew that any straightforward attempt of taking things to a higher level would scare her away, so I restricted myself to just hugging her. There was something deeply comforting about holding her in my arms and, until now, this was the furthest I knew I could go without making her feel uncomfortable.

“You want to hear about my day?”

“Yeah,” she pulled away from the hug still smiling. “All about it.”

We had a really pleasant conversation in which, like always, I felt free to tell her anything that was on my mind. It felt nice to be able to come home and talk to someone, instead of being in a conflict similar to warfare. I was really happy with how everything was going in my life as well. However, as always, things have to keep their balance. We’re going in circles, back and up again, never being able to control or foresee what will come next.

Despite not having exceptional instincts, there was a bad feeling looming over me waiting to stain the content. It took over me slowly, making its presence known only when it grew. It made me uncomfortable and restless.

The sound of my ringtone piercing the temporary silence was threatening. I couldn’t recall the moment I picked it up and answered. As soon as I put it down, I heard Young’s worried voice, asking me what happened.

“My father had another heart attack...”

Her wide-eyed concern made me realize the fact that I forgot the most important part.

“He didn’t make it.”

The next thing I was aware of was being hugged tight, but I was unable react in any way because of the shock. After a few seconds all I could do was push her away slowly.

“The funeral will be in two days.”

*

Nobody was paying attention to whatever the priest was reading from the Old Testament. The crowd was full of strangers who were supposed to have known my father. They were all fulfilling their roles really well. As if the coffin going into the ground was the worst thing that ever happened, every time one of the quotes seemed slightly significant, loud sobs could be heard.

I was standing next to mother, right in front of the six feet deep hole, staring into nothingness. She and I were probably the only persons present who haven’t shed a single tear. If I were going to cry over someone who assumed he had every right to control my life, yet was always absent, it wouldn’t happen at a funeral.

As soon as the ceremony was over I made my way through the crowd of people I have never seen before and back to my car, where Young was waiting. I never had to tell her how I felt or what I needed, she was there when I wanted her to be and stayed behind when I desired to be alone. She was standing outside of the car right then, looking at the forest behind the church grounds.

Once I approached her, I made sure no one was close-by and hesitated before leaning on her, resting my head on her shoulder. She instantly hugged me and ran her fingers through my hair. For a few minutes, I hoped I never had to move from her arms. I didn’t understand why I was affected this way. It wasn’t grief, but I couldn’t be indifferent either. I was mostly numb and Young was the only thing keeping me together.

A/N: For anyone who was looking forward to reading this chapter, I apologize for the one day delay! ^^;