Chapter 2

The Right One

What the hell just happened?

(Gwiboon's POV)

 


 

This must be one of the best sleeps I ever had within a few months. Waking up on a beautiful and sunny day like this makes me want to look forward a new day.

Maybe it was the effect of hearing your boyfriend's voice before sleeping. I smiled groggily at the thought of Minho's deep voice just before I went to bed. It's just the kind of lullaby I'll always search for.

A few more daydreams about Minho and I stood up to prepare for the day.

 

Contrary to the beautiful day I woke up to, the way towards the university seems uneventful. There's a strange feeling in my gut that something I might not like happen. I just wish my senses fail me this time. There's so much on my mind right now and I can't afford any distractions.

"Hey Gwi!" Nicole called, as she makes her way towards my locker.

I closed my locker before turning towards her. "Oh, hey Nic! What's up?"

"It's nothing actually." She replied.

There's something she wants to tell me. I can read her like an open book after being friends for several years. "Come on. Tell me."

"It's just that…. We barely hang out these days." She said with a sullen tone. "But I know you're busy and everything."

I sighed. I know I am the one in fault. "I'm sorry, sis. You know how my portfolios are torturing me. I barely met anyone even Minho these days." The sadness in my tone is evident.

"So…" she started, "should we hang out today? I miss my sister from another mother."

"Nic…"

"Please? There's this new store in the mall and I want to check it out with you." she said, giving me those ugly puppy eyes I always gave in to. "I need your magical powers, Kim Gwiboon."

I sighed once again before nodding. "I'll just call Minho to let him know I'm out with you. Just in case he dropped by my workstation and found no one there."

Nicole beamed as she jumped up and down. "Assa! You're really the best, Gwiboon."

I shrugged as I smirked. "Oh honey, I know."

The smile on Nicole's face made me realized I missed this sister of mine from another mother.

 

My classes are pretty much the same in my opinion. Minor classes in the morning and fashion design by the afternoon. But the uneasy feeling is still there. I can't even explain it in words. Thankfully, nothing unusual happened in my classes.

My English lecturer, Ms. Jung, is just her usual self. Nothing is unusual with Mr. Park's way of teaching Math. Then there's Ms. Song and her Korean mispronunciations.

I grabbed my phone to call Minho and let him know of my plans with Nicole today.

Ring Ring Ring  Ring Ring Ring  Ring Ring Ring

Hmm.. That's strange. Minho always picks up his phone in the first 3 rings. He has no soccer practice today. I have his practice dates saved on my phone just to remind myself.

Ring Ring Ring  Ring Ring Ring  Ring Ring Ring

I burrowed my eyebrows. It's been my second call and he's still not picking up.

Ring Ring Ring  Ring Ring Ring  Ring Ring Ring

The number you have is either unattended or out of coverage area. Please try your call again later.

Huh? Did something happen today? My mind was going haywire just by thinking something happened to Minho. I was snuck out of my trance when Nicole suddenly tapped my shoulder.

"Sis! Let's go?"

"Yeah, I guess. I'll just send a text to Minho." I said, forcing myself to smile.

"Are you okay? We could just reschedule if you don't feel alright."

I shake my head as I said, "I'm fine. It's just the weather. You know, since it's already autumn and it's getting cold."

"You should wear layers next time. You can catch a cold with wearing that kind of top and a cardigan."

"I know right?" I faked laugh. "I must be in a hurry earlier."

"Let's go! There's a lot of shopping we're going to do."

I prayed to the heavens that my Minho is safe.

Hey. I'm not in my workstation if you drop by. Going out with Nicole right now. Call me when you read this message. I love you xoxo

 

Nicole is really not joking when she says we have a lot of shopping to do. To be honest, I need this. This is my way to de-stress myself. And my wardrobe also needs new jackets in time for winter. Maybe I'll buy us matching shirts if I find one that will suit us both.

"Can we go and eat some Ice cream on the food court before going home? I need some sugar in my system! I feel so weak." Nicole said as we walked out of a store, holding a lot of paper bags with our purchases.

I laughed before saying, "Your blood sugar is low right now because of that diet plan you're doing. It's not healthy, you know?"

She huffed cutely before pouting. "Don't you go and play doctor with me. I'll stop that diet plan right now so can we please eat a full meal before we go on that ice cream?"

"I know a good place. Let's go!" I said, grabbing her by her arms and pulled her as I walk.

I can hear her mumbling a string of curses that I know she says out of annoyance. It's really funny, to be honest. We're really comfortable with each other that we don't mind hearing something like these as we hang out together.

I pushed her into one of the booths in the restaurant, gesturing for the waiter that we are ready to place our orders. I am a regular here so I know what is their specialty and everything. I also know Nicole's preferred foods so I know what to order for her.

I always eat here with my parents and my older brother who is studying Music overseas for 3 years already. I kind of miss him. Jonghyun has been the best older brother to me even though we have those times where we argue over trivial things. Our parents are living me here with me in Seoul. But because of their business empire, they barely had time for me, leaving me alone in that big house.

Oh gee, this restaurant makes me feel a little sentimental.

Nicole seems to get her energy back by the time the desserts came. Her eyes sparkled as the waiter brought us a slice of chocolate cake I knew she likes. Oh what an adorable sight it is.

We were about to walk out of the restaurant when Nicole suddenly nudged my side. I was annoyed at first because it was pretty painful but the thing where she pointed isn't something I particularly like.

Minho's here. To top it all off, he's with another girl who I'm pretty sure goes to our school.

"Wha…I – that's Minho, right?" I asked as I was very dumbfounded by the sight.

Nicole nodded. "That's Lee Taeyeon from our department."

It must've been the possessiveness in me that triggered me to walk up to them. The sight sickened me, seeing Minho laugh with her. She's obviously faking everything, her laugh and her innocent demeanor. I knew there's something I don't like about her the first time I saw her.

"Minho?"

He looks so shocked when he saw me. "Gwiboon!" His voice wavered as he says my name.

"What are you doing here? I called you earlier but you're not answering. I even messaged you." I smiled sweetly at him before turning to Taeyeon and giving her the best glare I could manage. "Uhmm.. I don't think we are properly introduced. I'm Kim Gwiboon, Minho's girlfriend."

"Gwiboon… about this… can we talk for a sec?" Minho said, pulling me somewhere out of the restaurant and of Taeyeon's sight. "What are you doing?"

"Shouldn't I be the one asking you that? I called you earlier and you weren't answering. There I was worrying so much about you and it turns out you're out with someone. A girl I don't like nonetheless." The people who passed us by stared at my outburst. But I couldn't give a damn right now.

Minho cleared his throat before saying, "That girl, Taeyeon, she's my childhood friend! We've known each other since we're little kids."

"Oh please Minho. There's no such thing as a boy and girl being best friends without something happening between them." I scoffed. I am being selfish right now but I don't care. "Tell me honestly!"

Minho looked at me straight in the eye and that's when I got scared. "You want the truth, right?" He took a deep breath before saying, "I love Lee Taeyeon. I courted you because of a bet I lost to, okay? Our relationship is just for a show. And this is where I'm going to end it."

He breathes then continued. "Let's break up, Gwiboon."

My heart broke into a million pieces as he said those words. Every word feels like a knife stabbing my heart. Our relationship is just because of a bet. It's all for a show. It felt like a nightmare.

He doesn't love me. He loves Taeyeon. These words ran on my mind.

He doesn't love me. He loves Taeyeon. It hits me like bricks.

He doesn't love me. He loves Taeyeon. I'm nothing compared to Taeyeon for him.

" you, Minho." I said before slapping him hard and ran away as the tears I've been holding back fell.

He doesn't love me. He loves Taeyeon. I think I'm going to die.

 


 
2015.06.04