Chapter 6

The Right One

 

My baby sister.

(Jonghyun's POV)

 


 

"This will be your room. Call me if you need anything!" I said before closing the door, leaving Jinki alone. "And please just put everything away and rest. I'll call you when dinner's ready."

I hear him call after me but I need to do something first. I know my sister needs me. There's this nagging feeling inside of me that screams to go and give her a hug.

I instantly knew something was wrong the moment she opened the door and her tears-streaked face welcomed me. And I'd definitely kill that Choi Minho if he has something to do with this.

I softly walked towards the living room, where Gwiboon sits and stares at the TV as Notting Hill's credits roll. I could tell that she was really sad, almost depressed, by the way she was acting right now. She had her legs close to her chest, her fists clenching.

This was her reaction when I first said that I was going to study overseas for a few years, news she didn't took very well.

"Baby? You alright?" I asked, taking a seat next to her. "Tell oppa what's wrong, hmm?" I said in the gentlest tone I could muster.

She continued to stare blankly at the screen before hugging me tight, taking me by surprise. My arms automatically wrapped around her, rubbing circles at her back. She continued to cry and I couldn't even help her other than to whisper comforting words to her ears. I feel so bad seeing her like this.

After a few minutes, she began to speak up. "We broke up, oppa." She said with a hoarse voice. "Last night."

"Did you two fight or something? Oppa can talk to him if you two had a misunderstanding." I really hate Minho, but if he makes my sister happy, then I'll do anything just to get them back together. "Tell oppa so that he can do something."

"..Y-you don't u-understand, oppa…" She hiccupped at her words, tears pooling at her eyes. "Th-there wa-was no mis..understanding."

My ears perked up at her words. "What do you mean there was no misunderstanding? Did you dump him? Or… did he?"

I see reluctance in her eyes before taking a deep breath. "Our relationship… it was all… for a bet." Her voice died down at the end of the sentence. But I heard what she said. Clear as a crystal.

I began to feel the rage inside me. The aggressive side of me wants to storm to Minho's right now and beat the out of him. How dare he do this to my sister? Heck, he may be taller than me but I didn't work out for nothing. But another side of me wants to stay right here, calming down my sister.

As much as I want to tear off Minho's limbs from his body, I chose to stay. My sister needs me more than ever.

I began to chant "it's gonna be okay". But I know that nothing could take away the pain right now. She needs time.

Time heals all wounds.

I've had my collection of broken hearts myself. I know how it feels like to be turned down multiple times, to be cheated at, but never being used in a bet. It makes me feel sad that my sister has to experience that in her first heart break.

I never knew we already sat there for hours. Gwiboon is now peacefully sleeping with her head on my lap and I unconsciously play with her hair. My stomach began to grumble. It was already night time and thought that both Gwiboon and Jinki might be hungry too.

And as if on cue, I see Jinki descending down the stairs, a worried look on his face as he saw Gwiboon's face. I shook my head, as if saying there is nothing to worry about.

I softly woke Gwiboon up. Her face scrunched up, making me coo at her cuteness. Even at the age of 22, she's still my baby sister and will always be. "Gwiboon~"

"Hnng.. oppa?" She slowly opened her eyes, sleepily staring at me.

"What do you want for dinner? I'll order what you want so there's no need for anyone of us to cook."

She pondered for a few seconds before saying, "Order some fattening food. I'm starving to death! Pizza, chicken or anything." She laughed.

I could see Jinki's face brighten up at the mention of chicken across the room.

"Fattening, it is. Get ready to get your stomach full. Jinki and I had a large appetite."

"Bring it on, brother!" She says, laughing as she did.

I grabbed the house phone and took a look at the clip board where we kept all the fast food pamphlets for easy access. I grabbed one and began dialing the number written.

As I waited for the line to connect, I saw Jinki and Gwiboon talking animatedly back in the couch. Jinki probably cracked another lame joke but it seems to make Gwiboon laugh.

If I would choose between Jinki and Minho for Gwiboon, I'd certainly pick Jinki with hesitation.

He would make her smile.

He would care for her.

He would place Gwiboon at the very top of his priority list.

And because I know that he wouldn't even think of hurting my precious baby sister unlike that tall, frog-eyed bastard.

"Hello, Mexicana chicken. How may I help you?"

I began to place my order, salivating at the thought of fried chicken.

 


 

2015. 09. 26.

It's an update after a month. Yes, I'm still alive and kickin'. Just busy with college.