Part 1

Merry-Go-Round

A/N: This is an upgraded version readers, because I just had an idea, and the prev one was a bit disconnecting. Please understand and please do enjoy! I hope the story will be more coherent this time around. 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Laughter echoed everywhere and everybody seemed to be having fun – smiles reached up to their ears, eyes sparkled hinting a magnanimous amount of joy, warmth engulfed their features. Who wouldn’t want to have fun during a good summer day?

Summer was currently in season, still reaching up to its peak, the reason why people were having such joyous expressions etched on their faces. All around, there seemed to be a party and people were flocking malls, resorts and amusement parks. Especially amusement parks. Everyone enjoyed the sizzling hot yet fun-filled season.

However, amidst all these celebrations and escapades, one walked among these individuals with a sullen expression – head down, sluggish walking, and a totally off vibe, people turned their heads whenever they came across this mysterious person.

She, the identity of this persona is apparently a girl, continually stared at the concrete below her feet as she dragged herself along the busy streets of Seoul, heading towards a destination she had unconsciously thought of. Not once did she look up, but fortunately, she hadn’t been put into drastic situations, only some minor setbacks wherein she bumped into someone but would immediately apologize without looking at the victims’ faces.

She walked and walked and walked, letting her feet take her to the place her heart longs the most. All around her, people’s laughter filled the air, their expressions brightened up the atmosphere with everyone enjoying each other’s company, but she hardly heard, much more noticed, them. It’s like she’s underwater and everywhere and everyone else was a blur, including their conversations, their faces, their smiles, their laughter – nothing was crystal clear for her.

“Everyone is happy.” She smiled bitterly. “They are so full of life.”

She finally looked up and absorbed the happiness that the horde of people was oozing from their systems. A tear suddenly escaped her eyes and she quickly wiped it away and then stalked off from the place she just stood from moments ago.

“You’re crying over it again.” She said to herself as she quickened her pace, mist clouding her vision, tears threatening to escape from her eyes once more.

“Stop making a fool of yourself!” she shook her head and her tears were whisked away by the sudden action. She continued on running away, no longer minding her surroundings.

People looked towards the girl running and seemingly escaping something on a fine bright day like this wondering what’s up but they just shrugged it off and continued on with their business. The girl continued on putting her feet in front of the other then suddenly stopped at a particular place. Too abruptly.

“Here we are.” She thought to herself as she looked up with slightly puffed up eyes to the location where her feet and her heart had taken her.

“XX Amusement Park”

She contemplated for a moment, staying rooted at the entrance, at least one step away from entering the park’s premises. Looks were thrown at her as she stood like a statue at the threshold of the park. With a heavy and dread-filled heart, she took one step and entered the place where everything began… and apparently ended.

Her heart taking the lead, her feet following suit by the latter’s orders, she proceeded to a bench and sat herself, a blank expression on her face, trying to contain all her emotions – glee, happiness, dread, anger, sadness. She didn’t know which of which she truly felt, which among those expressions weighed more that she ended up having a blank one.

Endless thoughts filled her head, from the moment everything started till the day those were put to the test and the end. Her eyes moistened and filled with liquid carrying bittersweet memories. She slumped at the bench, quietly letting go of all that she felt inside, quietly letting those tears escape her eyes.

As she drowned in her reverie, she didn’t fully recognize the sheer amount of people that have gathered in the park’s premises as the afternoon sun set and dusk broke. Night had quickly fallen but still, the girl sits quietly on the bench still contemplating, still looking back, still reminiscing, earning looks from strangers. All she knew is that there had been a drastic increase in the amount of laughter and happiness all around her and she didn’t give a single care about what they thought about her. Would their thoughts take away everything that’s slowly numbing her entire being? She thought not so she just didn’t look up and turned her attention to her watch instead.

“It has been that long already?” she sighed as she wiped her eyes. “1 hour more and I’ll be able to visit that place without any distractions or interruptions.”

With this, she wiped the last of her tears and finally looked up around, pretending to enjoy the moments people had created for themselves. She plastered a smile on her face and convinced her eyes to wander around and observe everything.

30 minutes had passed and people started leaving, only a few lingered around to enjoy the rides and the rest the park had to offer.

“A few minutes more and there will be quiet in this place.”  She thought to herself as she continued on watching the people around her.

It had already been 9:30 in the evening and half an hour more and the park will have its closing for the day. The girl patiently waited, watching people come and go until almost everyone had gone.

“Finally…” she said in her mind.

The girl stood up and left the bench she’s been sitting at for quite some time now and turned to walk to a certain place where hardly any people were around anymore. As she came across the park’s staffs, she walked over and greeted them, having familiarized their faces already after a million times of coming here every single day or at least 5 days a week.

“Hey, Yoona-ssi!” a staff pleasantly greeted her and bowed and Yoona, our girl, respectfully bowed and returned the greeting, but only with a half-hearted smile. “It’s nice to see you again. What are you doing here at this time?”

Yoona smiled bitterly to which gave the unspoken answer to the staff member.

“Ohh… that again huh?”

Yoona nodded and then lowered her head, finding a certain interest at the ground below her. “Yup.”

“I see.” The staff member’s smile lopsided and gave Yoona a heartfelt pat on the shoulder. “Well, I’ll be taking my leave then. That place is all yours.”

Yoona looked up to the staff member and smiled genuinely.

“Thanks, Mrs. Han.” She beamed at the staff member and then the two bowed to each other, with each of them treading different paths right after.

Yoona continued on walking and walking, her heart getting heavier with each step. Her thoughts had piled up and not a concrete one had formed in her mind as she took her steps. Her eyes were glistening with tears once more, a bitter smile plastered to her face as her eyes spotted that one place that had been her comfort and her destruction.

“I’m being a fool again.” She said to herself as she leaned on the railing, supporting her frame.

“Why are you doing this to yourself Im Yoona? Why?!” she screamed, letting loose of all those emotions bottled up inside her but no one interrupted or chided her for her actions. She’s already known by the people from the park, a quite high stated person for them who gently cares for them and at the same time, never forgets to thank and acknowledge them.

The staff members watched her from afar and heard her wails and they smiled bitterly to the girl’s heart wrenching outburst. They can only shake their heads and send her their prayers and hopes, knowing that no amount of comforting would lessen or even take away her burdens. They let her be, knowing in themselves that it was the right thing and the best thing they could have ever given her – privacy. Everyone then went back about their business.

The girl, Im Yoona, continued on rambling to herself, continued to release everything she has held back for the entire day, continued on letting loose all those locked up memories and let them flood her and escape through her tears.

“Why?! Why…” she mumbled as her body slumped and collapsed to the ground, her hands now limply holding on to the railings, her head leaning on to the railings’ frame.

Tears continued on flowing down her doe-like eyes, her once glimmering and twinkling eyes now broken and shattered. Her head was held low, her eyes closed and her face turned into a grimace as pain washed over her. Her lips quivered and sobs escaped from her lips as she drowned herself in a sea of memories.

“Why…?” she posted a question to no one as she looked up at the merry-go-round looming in front of her, before completely succumbing herself to the pain and the tears.

Unbeknownst to her, someone had been quietly watching her all those times.

 

Yoona recounts these memories as she sits herself in the café, her favourite café, their favourite place. She leans forward and props her head up, putting her hands underneath her chin. Her gaze travels outside, seeing the slight downpour and the haunting yet comforting vibe the rain is offering – a sad yet wonderful sight, a dull yet bright grey.

She looks at her watch and seemingly waits for someone. Patiently, she continues to gaze, letting time tick away and pass by. She lets herself enjoy the cold, rainy weather and a small smile graces her lips as she watches the droplets fall down from the heavens above.

Her smile gets wider and wider as she is growing continuously entertained by the weather, no longer minding the time she has to wait.

“Refreshing…” she whispers as she smiles and closes her eyes, letting the essence of the gloomy weather seep through her, offering a sad yet comforting vibe for some reason.

She then proceeds to shrink to herself and go forth into her own world, when suddenly, a voice speaks up from behind, pulling her out of her trance, an even wider grin shows as she opens her eyes.

“We’re here.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. The italicized words are thoughts. That's all. ^^