Chapter 9

Something Like Love

            “Is this what you want, Chanyeol? To cause a dispute between Kris and his friends?”

            Mei Fen said that to him. She was still riding the horse that she used earlier while Kris is teaching her. A few meters away from them is Kris and Kai, and they are obviously arguing about something. Meanwhile, Kyuhyun and Heechul are just staring at the two and it looks like they are just waiting for a cue on when to intervene.

            “Since you came here, Kris is always involved in troubles.” Mei Fen continued. “Haven’t you noticed that you are the one that’s bringing chaos to the people in this place? Even Amber has been the subject of the anger of the female guests here.”

            “It wasn’t my fault. They were the one who approached me first. Amber just defended me.”

            “Why does Amber need to defend you? Are you being bullied here?”

            Chanyeol opted to be quiet. He is worried about Kris’ and Kai’s heated argument. What did Kyuhyun and Heechul have said to Kris and he reacted like that when he approached him and Kai?

            “It was obvious that Kris and you are not meant for each other, Chanyeol. You are always giving him problems. So why didn’t you divorce him while it’s still early? Before he gets hurt because of you.”

            “You are not the right person to tell me what to do with my life, Mei Fen.”

            “Why? Who do you think is the right person to say that to you? Kris? He wouldn’t say anything because he pities you. You’re pathetic, anyway. With your mom dead and your father now in critical condition at the hospital…”

            When Chanyeol looked at Mei Fen, his horse also moved. He held on to Beast’s rein’s tightly.

            “What did you just say?”

            “Why? You didn’t know?” Mei Fen sneered. “Poor boy. You didn’t know the condition of your own father? What kind of son are you?”   

            “What happened to my father?” It is obvious that their horses were surprised at his shout so they started to become uneasy. “What happened to my Dad? Why did you say that he’s in critical condition? My father’s in the US and he’s managing our business there!”

            “Don’t shout.” Mei Fen scolded. “You’re scaring the horses.”

            “My father’s not going to die!”

            Because of his shout, the horses have gone wild. Mei Fen shrieked when her horse ran. That was Beast’s cue to raise its front legs, swinging them up high enough for him to lose his grip on the reign. Chanyeol landed with a loud thud and he immediately felt a shooting pain on his right shoulder. His vision starts to darken from too much pain but he tries to fight for it. So he saw it when Kris tries to catch Mei Fen’s horse with the woman still riding it. She was unconscious when she was rescued.

            “Chanyeol! Oh my God! Are you okay?” That was Kai’s voice. “Wait, don’t move. The paramedics are coming.”

            Chanyeol tried to get up even if he feels dizzy. He winced when he felt the pain on his shoulders, but thankfully, he didn’t get any other injuries.

            “Just stay here, Chanyeol.” Kyuhyun said. Maybe Heechul is with Kris when they bring Mei Fen to the clinic. “It looks like your shoulder’s doesn’t look good. If you try to move your shoulder, it might get strained.”

            “I’m fine.” Nothing hurts more than what he had seen earlier. When Kris chose to save Mei Fen first. “I need to go back to Seoul. I want to see my father.”

            “We can’t allow you to leave.” Minseok calmly said. “You’re hurt, Chanyeol. You need immediate medical attention. We will bring you to Seoul once the doctor says that you have no serious injuries. For now, you need to go to the clinic with us.”

            “I need to see my Dad!”

            “You’ll see him as soon as we get you out of your misery.”

            It looks like Chanyeol can’t do anything because he was blocked by the other club members. And maybe when he tries to struggle, he has a feeling that they will all carry him just to bring him to the clinic.

            But Kris and Mei Fen are also there. Mei Fen is still unconscious while Kris is still beside her. He didn’t even try to glance at him. And seeing them together made Chanyeol’s injury even more unbearable.

              “Your shoulder was dislocated, Mr. Wu.”

            Chanyeol likes to strangle the doctor with the stethoscope. How dare he call Chanyeol Mr. Wu when his husband is on the other side of the room, beside his woman?

            “We could snap it back to its original position.” The doctor continues. “So you need to relax.”

            “Wait, doc.” Kai cuts in. “What do you mean ‘snap back’?”

            “It is what it is.”

            The guys that cared to bring him to the clinic winced and gasped in horror.

            These guys are better than his husband.

            “I had that kind of injury before.” Onew said. “When the doctor snapped it back, man, I could have killed him.”

            “Yeah.” Taemin agreed. “It was hell, but only for a few seconds. It was like getting bitten by an ant… a really giant ant.”

            All of them just looked at the two guys that shared their experience. What if Chanyeol strangle those two first with a stethoscope? The doctor held his arm and massaged it. Then he gently laid his hand on his shoulder. He winced even on the slightest pressure. He tightly shut his eyes while waiting.

            “Chanyeol!”

            Chanyeol opened his eyes in time to see Kris coming towards him before the searing pain of his shoulder almost blinded him. He starts to cry.

            “I can’t take this anymore, man!” It was Onew. “I promise I won’t bring anyone in hospitals anymore.”

            “I’ll go now. I think I’ll faint.”

            “I think I’m going for a swim.”

            The brave guys who brought him here earlier starts to leave one by one.

            “Yeol… it’s okay. You’ll be all right now. Don’t cry…”

            Chanyeol is familiar with the gentle yet strong pair of arms that hugs him. It belongs to the man that he loves but the heart is owned by someone else. The intense pain on his shoulders starts to go away so he swat Kris’ arm.

            “Don’t touch me!” Chanyeol continues to cry. Then he looked at Kris. “Tell me, Kris. Do you know something about my father’s condition? Answer me!”

            “Chanyeol…”

            “You know something, right? That’s why you’re pushing me to talk to him. Because you know that my Dad is not able to call me anymore! Because he is sick and in critical condition! Why didn’t you tell me something? Why!?”

            Chanyeol grabbed Kris’ collar. But he immediately let go of it because his shoulder starts to be painful again.

            “Mr. Wu, you can’t move your right shoulder yet.” The doctor said. “Please, we’re avoiding any permanent injuries on your–”

            “I don’t care! I want to see my father!”

            “Okay.” Kris said calmly. “I’ll bring you back to Seoul.”

            “No.” Chanyeol wiped his tear-stained cheeks and looked at Kris bitterly. “I can take care of myself. Just stay here and watch for Mei Fen. She’s still unconscious.”

            “Mei Fen is just unconscious. But she’s okay now. I’ll bring you back to Seoul.”

            “No.”

            “Chanyeol–”

            “I said no.” Chanyeol saw Heechul. “Can you please bring me back to Seoul?”

            “I have a chopper. Yeah, sure.”

            “Heechul–”

            “Just let him, Kris. You two still have a lot of chance to talk to each other.”

            As Chanyeol walked out of the clinic, he is certain that he’s leaving his heart and his love. With the man that he truly loved.

            “You know,” Heechul said while they are on their way on the helipad where his chopper is located. “Kris ran to Mei Fen first because she lost her consciousness first. Maybe because of fear.”

            “I don’t care.”

            “You don’t? I’m sorry. I just noticed that you seem to be extremely jealous when your husband joined Mei Fen. But we told him to get Mei Fen first because he’s near her and we are all near you.”

            “Heechul, please, just don’t say anything.”

            “Okay, I just thought you might want to know.”

            “I don’t.”

           

-----------------------------

 

            Chanyeol bit his lower lip while looking at his dad inside the hospital’s ICU where he is confined. He immediately called his older brothers the moment they left Exo Riding Club.

            “Dad doesn’t want you to know about his condition, Yeol.” His Sungbin hyung said. “He wants you to be happy at your wedding day.”

            “Since when are you hiding his condition from me?”

            “It’s been a while,” His Taejoon hyung said. “He’s been having heart attacks. We just didn’t notice it earlier because Dad is good at hiding the symptoms. His last fatal attack was the day after your wedding.”

            That is the day when his father called to let him know that he is going to the US to look for their business. But the truth is, he is saying goodbye to him. He was having a heart attack and he was giving him the cold shoulder.

            “He doesn’t want you to worry. As much as possible, he doesn’t want to share his burden.”

            “That is so unfair, hyung. Do you really want me out of your life? Because you can’t even tell me about Dad’s condition? I’m his son too. And you are my brothers. But why do you always isolate me in our family?”

            “We just don’t want you to suffer again, Chanyeol. We saw how much you suffered when Mom died. You almost gave up with your life.”

            “So we agreed to Dad’s decision to hide everything. We don’t want to see you suffer again, Chanyeol.”

            “I’m not a rock, hyung! It’s natural that I cry when I get hurt. But I’m old enough to handle myself. I’m not that teenager that almost killed himself because his mother died. I’m old enough to take care of myself. I’m old enough to accept failures and defeat. I know how to handle them all. You just have to give me a chance to prove it.”

            His brothers just bowed in defeat. A way of admitting their mistakes.

            “We just don’t know what to do anymore, Chanyeol.”

            “Sorry, Yeol.”

            He hugged his brothers. When he thought his family is abandoning him, they are just thinking of his own good. He was not able to notice it because he is busy sulking. He is the one that has been selfish all the time. Because of that, he didn’t notice his father’s worsening condition.

            “I’m sorry too, hyung. I’m sorry because I’ve been so stubborn. I’m sorry I didn’t realize why are you doing all of this to me.”

            His brothers gently tapped his shoulder and caressed his hair. His problem with his family is now solved. When his father wakes up, he’ll make sure that he will not give him problems again.

            “Dad, please get better.” Chanyeol said to his father, behind his facial mask. His father’s doctors allowed Chanyeol to visit his father in the ICU. “I’m planning on surprising you. Okay, it won’t be a surprise then. I’ll tell you now. I have accomplished one of my goals, Dad. I have my own business like Sungbin hyung and Taejoon hyung. It’s just a small restaurant. But I really worked hard to establish it.

            “Well, maybe the money didn’t came from my own bank account but I promised that I will take care of my business until it produces other franchise. I want you to be proud of me, Dad.”

            Chanyeol’s voice cracked while trying to not cry in front of his father. His father wanted him to be tough. His mom made him tough. So he’ll be strong whatever happens.

            “Do you still remember what you have told me before, Dad? That Kris will take care of me? That’s not true. He neglected me. But you know, Dad, even if that happened, I still love him. So much.” He wiped the corner of his eyes. “And you didn’t made a mistake in choosing him to be my husband, Dad. Because I love him so much.

            “I didn’t regret anything. Even if he didn’t love me. Because, I’m glad that I loved him and that’s enough for me. Dad, thank you because even if you are not feeling good, and I bring you headache, you still gave me the right guy. Thank you so much for Kris, Dad.”

            Yes, that’s right. He still loves his husband even though Kris’ heart is owned by someone else. He stayed at his father’s side until the doctors told him to leave the ICU.

            Everyday, that is what Chanyeol is doing. He doesn’t leave the ICU until the doctors tell him to leave. He wants to stay at his father’s side. He’s afraid that something might happen again if he’s not at his father’s side.

            “Chanyeol, take a rest already.” His sister-in-law Jiyeon said. “We can take turns in looking after Dad.”

            “She’s right, Yeol.” Eunhye said. She is his Sungbin hyung’s wife. “You’re not getting enough rest. And you also don’t eat that much.”

            “I’m okay. I don’t want to leave Dad.”

            “But–”

            “Don’t mind me. I can do this.”

            “You can’t.”

            Chanyeol glanced at the man who spoke last. Kris’ handsome face is what he saw. He hasn’t seen his husband for a few days. But until now, despite of his tired and sleepy state, his heart still recognizes him.

            “What are you doing here?”

            “How about you, what are you doing with yourself?”

            “I’m taking care of my father.”

            “Well, now, you’ll have to start taking care of yourself as well.”

            Kris held his arm but Chanyeol withdrew his arm. “Leave me alone, Kris. I’m tired and I do not have any strength left to argue with you.”

            “I’m not here to argue. I learned from your brothers that you are slowly killing yourself. Is that how you want to be seen when your father wakes up? Your face is haggard. When your father wakes up and he sees you, he will have another heart attack because of fear.”

            Is that how he looks right now? Maybe, Kris is laughing at him because he’s ugly while his beloved Mei Fen is perfect and beautiful.

            “Chanyeol, please. Just go with your husband. Dad’s condition is stable anyway.” Eunhye looked at Kris. “Please take care of our Chanyeol.”

            “That’s what I’ll do.” Kris encircled his arms around him and helped him stand up. “Let’s go home, Yeol.”

 

-----------------------------

 

And we're down to the last chapter. :( Maybe I'll finish writing it tomorrow. But don't worry because I'll be writing a KaiSoo fic after this one. So lemme just give you a preview, yeah? :)

            Kai was a freakin’ playboy. Kyungsoo knew him until the smallest fibers of his being. He witnesses all of Kai’s adventures to different men and women. Because he is a part of it.

            Kyungsoo is Kai’s savior if he wants to break up with someone. He pretends as Kai’s boyfriend, fiancé, and husband. Kai is always free because of him. But for the right price.

            Until one day, he just had enough. He doesn’t want to help Kai anymore. Because he can’t even help himself to fall in love with Kai.

LMAO. I tried my best okay? And I'll start this KaiSoo fic right after I'm finished with this KrisYeol fic. So, good night! :)

And oh, I'll just proofread and edit this tomorrow so I apologize for any grammatical errors. :)